Home Assistant Fresh on Ubuntu 16.04 server

upgrading the python version wasn’t too big of a chore. it was fairly easy actually.

Wiped 16.04 and reinstalled with 17.10. Then followed the guide below. I can load HASS Web GUI now. Now need to figure out how to add Z-Stick Gen5 and a GE Zwave switch and Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6 for testing. I’ve got HomeSeer SEL PRO, but it’s cumbersome to add some simple trigger events. Basically, I just want to turn the light on when Motion detected and turn it off when no motion. It wasn’t that hard, but HomeSeer made it so hard. I still couldn’t figure out how to turn it off. Anyhow, I’m looking to move away from Smartthings (which is currently in use, but this thing is so unstable and killed half of my devices for no reason. I absolutely detest their forced OTA firmware upgrade, which is the source of causing most of my devices to go kaput). Anyway, HASS looks promising.

@vfxer

This is what I’ve been looking for! Thanks.

Can you confirm which version of python is installed please?

@icojones The standard version of Python3 on Ubuntu 17.10 is Python 3.6.3

1 Like

FYI - I was able to use miniconda3 to install a python 3.6 environment on Ubuntu 16.04 and it works fine since the python 3 on 16.04 is now too old. Basically it works something like this:

• download miniconda3 installer and run it to install conda somewhere
  • make conda available: ‘. /path/to/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh’
  • run ‘conda update --all’ to update conda and pip
  • create a python3 environment: ‘conda create -p /opt/homeassistant python=3’
  • activate the environment: ‘conda activate /opt/homeassistant’
  • install homeassistant: ‘pip install homeassistant’

The rest is basically the same as above. Let me know if anyone needs more detailed instructions for getting it to work.

I just did this for Ubuntu 18.04 server edition, worked fine.

Now just need to move my config over from my 14.04 …

Thanks so much! These were excellent instructions. The only point that made me look back in confusion for a few seconds was when you wrote “Try that - HA”, which I thought was a command. I also think you could just do sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/hass.service to create the file directly. I didn’t realize what you were doing until I saw that you instruct to then copy it. Cheers!