Home-assistant.io web page docs

Does anyone know what happened to the detailed instructions for setting up a virtual environment for home assistant in docs? That detailed page also had links to instructions for starting HA at boot.

Thanks
Mark

1 Like

You mean this one?

Well not quite, although the page does have a bit more details though. This was under the the docs topic and call Python Virtual Env. There was much more detailed info regarding installing in a virtual env and installing as a home assistant user. I did find the separate boot up links under the topics list that was referenced by the original detailed page.

Also it seems the installation docs are now more geared to RPis. The getting started page is for installing hass.io on a RPi with a link to other platforms. At one time this was a much more generic install instruction with the RPI installation as a separate page. Are RPi’s really the trend for installing home assistant these days?

Anyway I do appreciate the response.

Mark

You’re not the only one who has noticed!

I seem to recall from the podcast that there are lots of RPi installs out there but I can’t remember if it’s the most popular.

1 Like

The venv guide was cleaned because it was more or less a copy of “Manual installation on a Raspberry Pi”. It’s not needed to have a separate user or add that a user to a certain group.

The installation guide is focusing on Hass.io because for maybe 80 % of the new users that’s the right choice.

1 Like

Added some links back.

I respectfully disagree that reducing the level of details somehow improves the virtual env install instructions even though it is contained in part in the HASS.io install. Detailed information should never be removed unless there is unnecessary or redundant information. In this particular case that one detailed page contained the complete and well written virtual environment install instructions that can be applied to most OS flavors.

It is troubling the “Getting started” page now seem to imply that home assistant is primarily for the Raspberry PI and HASS_io is the preferred install method. In fact when I visited the home-assistant_io site, I thought I had somehow stumbled into a site that was for RPi only. Interestingly I had to visit “Browse Code On GitHub” to find the original home assistant quick install and startup. I do think that RPi is a great and inexpensive way to get into home automation but not not at the expense of making it more difficult to install for other platforms.

Having said that, it is easy for me to be a “back seat critic” as I am not in a position to contribute as this time. I do wish to thank all of the contributors for their dedication and hard work though.

My two cents worth.
Mark Barton

1 Like

You did?

But what about the link, directly on Getting started - Home Assistant, that links you to Installation - Home Assistant ?

Yeah I thought so too. But no, the install on on existing Python installation links to a watered down virtual install instructions. The original easy way but not necessarily the best way from the Github page is:

python3 -m pip install homeassistant
hass --open-ui

ugh. It would be nice if everyone would get on board with Docker. It is sooooooo much easier.