Home Assistant not showing up on network

As an enthusiastic new user of Home Assistant (installed on a Raspberry Pi 3B+) I encouter a problem with my home network. My router sees homeassistant in the network. It has a name and an IP address and it is possible to log in using the IP address and port 8123. No problem here. I have also set up Duckdns and I can also log in from work using SSL. The problem I encounter is that in my home network none of the Windows 10 computers in sees the device, although I installed Samba. So I cannot open files from other computers. Am I missing something here?

It sounds like you are having problems with FQDN. Your duckdns cert is SSL is pointing to your external ip address. You need to be able to translate your local ip address to your FQDN. It could also be firewall issues on your WIn 10 pcs. Start from the basics and start pinging the following from you Windows 10 pc’s

ping the local ip address of HA from the Win 10 pc’s, from your description this should ping with no issue at all.

Ping the local name you have given HA (this is the local NetBIOS name) if this ping is OK. Your local addressing is good.

Finally ping the FQDN from your Win 10 PC if this fails and resolves the IP address to your external IP you will need to fix.

The dirty way is to add an entry to the local host file on each Win 10 pc to convert the FQDN to the local IP address see

https://support.managed.com/kb/a683/how-to-modify-your-hosts-file-so-you-can-work-on-a-site-that-is-not-yet-live.aspx

This will allow you to use the FQDN locally. https:\fqdn:8123 with no SSL errors

If samba still not working try turning off the Win10 firewall (do not leave off this is just to test!) and use the local ip address of HA to make the connection

If you are using third party AV or third-party firewall software again turn off and test.

You must reenable any firewall once tested. If this fixes the problem you must add an exception to the firewall rule as a permanent solution.

Most of my windows even don’t see each other. In windows explorer, just enter \xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of your HA.
If connected, you can can map a network drive to access it easily :
Right click on ‘This PC’, choose ‘Map Network drive’

did you try this

Thanks all, for this load of advice. :cool: It is really appreciated. I am currently at work and I will use all hints and tips and I will let you know the result!

OK. I came a little further.

• Ping local ip address works fine
  • Ping homeassistant.local also fine
  • could not amend the host file on this computer
  • Windows defender does not seem to be a problem

/ip address does not work :frowning:

And now comes the interesting part. In my Windows 10 install the item SBM 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is missing! I will continue with the puzzle. Meanwhile all help is welcom.

1 Like

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

1 Like

I spend far too much of my time hunting for answers only to find dead ends like these lol