Home Assistant on a Pi Zero W in 30 minutes

Hello the stuff on github is 4 year old now. Is there a Pi Zero version available with newer Home Assistant?

You could try the current OS version, but I doubt the pi zero will have enough grunt.

Edit: operating-system/README.md at 7e8166b045f02458275f6e3138c529d50b2bc644 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub

1 Like

HA Core 2022.11.3 (the latest at the time of this post) works on the Pi Zero. It’s relatively slow and probably not really usable beyond a proof of concept scenario. And that’s HA Core, the version of HA with the least overhead. The Docker and supervisor versions have a lot more overhead, they would probably be close to unusable on a PiZero.

It’s also worth mentioning that installation of HA Core onto a Pi Zero is pretty involved. There are packages required that are currently not mentioned in the official docs (rustc, cargo, libatlas, etc). And due to the lack of 32bit ARMv6 wheels for some of the Python packages, they have to be rebuild, which takes a long time (up to 20 hours).

I use the Pi Zero with HA for development work. I would not recommend it as general purpose HA hardware.

1 Like

After waiting for more then a hour I stil receive the message “Connection Refused”. Can access the RPI via Putty. I’m using an USB Network adapter (so no Wifi)

Not recommended. Now you can see why.

Unfortunately the card is not recognized by a MAC computer …
Are there any procedures, to initialize the process on a MAC too ?