Home Assistant on Ubuntu Server

I have an Ubuntu Server I am using as a router/gateway/firewall/fileserver/etc.

I’m looking into my installation options and I’m curious what your opinions are on the following:

• Should I shoot for Home Assistant or Hassio?
  • Should I install on a simple python virtual environment (HA), in a docker environment, or in a virtual machine?

I started with Hassbian on an RPI and it was a great introduction.
I moved to docker on a NuC about 3 months ago and I personally think its great.
Pull the images run them and thats it.
No worries about compatibilities or changes that may break one app or the other.
Im not a programmer, so at first i was a bit intimidated, but a bit of reading a few videos and don’t regret the decision.
Moreover theres tons of images out there extremely usuful. The thing is, you try it you like it, you keep it. You dont you just delete it and no issues.

1 Like

Another vote for docker, install docker, pull/run the home assistant container and enjoy.

2 Likes

+1 for docker. so much easier to maintain

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks!
That’s kinda what I was hoping for as well.

Is there a choice between hass and hassio on docker? I figure it’s probably just hassio.

Official docker installation guide for home assistant is here. No hassio.

1 Like

I’ll try to clarify the best i can

hass.io its already a packaged docker image. the standard installation is this:
https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/
There is a way to install it on top of a linux (ubuntu) distribution; this is it:
https://bonani.tech/how-to-install-hass.io-on-ubuntu-server-18.04/

The standard Home Assistant docker image is installed like this: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

Hass.io and Hass (Home Assistant) are not the same. The former as I said is a prepackaged solution that brings with it, it’s own add ons (containers) and operating system.

Hass (Home Assistant) is the standard Home Assistant package, build into a docker image.

Hope I helped.

OK, so on the basis that I will be using docker, which makes more sense to use, Hassio, or regular Hass?

I would say it’s a matter of preference. Initially people had reservations about hass.io stability and flexibility. But after a year out it’s come leaps and bounds.
Personally my main reservation was that if you run it on a Pi that was all you could do and the operating system is locked. So you couldnt/can’t experiment with other things. But if you’re going to run it as effectively a docker inside a docker, that leaves the Ubuntu OS system open for whatever else you want to do.
So I don’t really see the disadvantage any more.
And it has the benefit of the extremely active add-on community. ( add-ons are containers specifically built for hass.io)

Since they’re both easy to install, perhaps you can try each for a period and decide. In the end whatever configuration files you develop are transferable between systems.

So no harm to try

Yeah, I went ahead and went with Hassio. My main reservations are just that it seems weird running some of these addins in what is effectively a “docker inside a docker” as you say.

But aside from configuration issues I’m having right now, I think I’ll be sticking with Hassio. Mainly for things like ease of updates and ease of setting up plugins. I still have a bit of an aversion to CLI. I just have trouble with the idea that I’m being shown what’s going on or what my options are.

but thats the benefit of running hass.io like that. you can still use any other containers and experiment. you dont have to use the add ons

Cool. Well thanks for your help! I’ll probably need to start moving to other threads for further issues at this point.

Hey,

I have a pi 3 running Hassio for a while and never had an issue. Pretty stable and all. At the same time I own a home server with dedicated server grace hardware (hp microserver with xeon chip in it) running Unraid. As its running 24/7 already and and also stable, the CPU leftover is miles ahead of the pi 3. Its been 2 weeks running hassio on a virual machine with ubuntu server following the video Guide to install hassio on a Ubuntu Server VM, trust me the guide is REALLY easy. It might be early to say but so far im enjoying the much better performance and the stability seens on point.

1 Like

I have happily used a pi3 for ages, and had a great run. The other day it seemed to get bogged down, I am not sure whether that is because I introduced a new component, or because the SD card is failing.

Anyway, as a result I have bought a NUC and waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for the pointer to that howto.

Thanks for the heads up!

I’m actually having trouble with the basic install. None of the addons work at all, and it seems to leave a lot (files, users, etc) behind if I try to uninstall it.

I’ve been running a raspi 3 and it generally does well, but other times it stops responding every hour and i have to physically unplug it and plug it back in.

Hey,

I cant really help out as Im pretty noob at linux and troubleshoting. If I had the same issue I would go back to pi3. What i can tell though is that as I said earlier I did a fresh install of ubuntu server and following the video I maneged to get the install script going. No issues ever since.

Hope that helps or you can find someone with more knowledge.

Whew. It’s definitely been a nonstop uphill battle doing this on linux. I want them all integrated, but I’m starting to question the whole endeavor.