Home Assistant OS install on old laptop

Any one can help me.
When I start the laptop with new a new hasso image installed I get this message. (Picture below)
I used Ubuntu on a usb stick to flash the HAOSS onto the formatted hard drive on the laptop.
Got no errors when installing HA.
When I restarted laptop I get this. The last line DHCP just has the spinning dash sign

For me this looks like your bios doesn’t see your harddrive or can’t boot from it, so it tries to boot from network.
Which image and how did you flash it to the disk?

Did you use the generic x-86 image?
Do you have an Ethernet cable plugged in?
Did the network connect under Ubuntu?
If not, I would go back to this step and get the laptop working on the network before installing HA. The HA installation requires an internet connection to complete.

Do you have an Ethernet cable plugged in?……….YES
Did the network connect under Ubuntu?…………YES
If not, I would go back to this step and get the laptop working on the network before installing HA. The HA installation requires an internet connection to complete.
[/quote]

Did you configure the bios properly?
UEFI Boot, secure boot etc?

I’m not seeing the EUFI and secure boot menu options.

Another photo if this helps.

I don’t think you have answered about your uefi etc.

Then your BIOS does not support UEFI Boot and you need to choose a different install method (i.e. not Generic x86 HA OS image) or use other host hardware.

1 Like

I would suggest debian plus supervised.

Supervised is a terrible idea. The restrictions are too draconian. Go outside them, or even look at it funny, and it breaks.

This would be a better idea: Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 7

Or a container install if Ashley has any experience with Docker and does not mind installing their own containerised applications instead of addons.

2 Likes

Supervised has been perfect here.

But proxmox is a great idea too.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help.
I had a feeling this would be the case.

I’m all up for trying anything. I like to learn the different ways.
I’m going to try proxmox first.
I’m also comfortable with using docker and containers.
I may have a go at both and see which one suits.

Back to the drawing board.:joy:

Once again thanks.