Home Assistant - refused to connect at random

So from checking the max wattage that the PoE hat puts out is 12.5W as per the info found on the listing page.

I could try see about limiting the SSD usage (find out its max power pull too) or try running it from separate power.

I found this article where it was apparent overheating was the cause of the issue:

I’ve went ahead and added an extra data point to monitor this.

Additionally I’ve checked when my backups occur and can confirm it hasn’t happened around this time, my backups take place at 05:00 and would be 2 weeks apart.

I’ve also checked on the temperature history and shows no correlation either.

Wait your normal cpu temp is 65°c??
Is that just me or it is pretty high?
Do you have any cooling system?

Mine Is more around 42:

For me that is quite normal, I spoke to a guy that would have his little Pi rack filled with them and reported same temperatures on average.

Would just be passive cooling so no fans.

65°C is where the automatic CPU throttling kicks in.
I have heatsinks on my Raspi chips to lower the temp and I gave up running HA on a Raspi 4, because it was hitting the limit so often, so it is only my Rhasspy wakewords function that are putting a load on them now.

Ok so, if I put better heatsinks on and run a fan across it may help then.

I was considering getting something like a NUC but I want something really low powered like a Pi considering it is running 24/7.

Checked the other Pi4 running next to this one and can confirm the temperature is the same.

This would run docker which includes the likes of Pi-Hole which is showing the hardware stats.

Again, in the same hardware config, PoE powered, same SSD size and brand.

Not sure that the heat is the cause of your problem.
The heat is just an issue with the performance, but it should not crash from that since the throttling occur to keep it safe.

To try remove as many factors as possible I have also went ahead and disabled the following add-ons:

• DuckDNS
  • ESPHome
  • Google Drive Backup
  • Samba share
  • Studio Code Server

Following add-ons that are still enabled:

• Mosquitto broker
  • SSH & Web Terminal

Integrations still enabled:

• Alexa
  • CO2 Signal
  • HACS
  • Supervisor
  • Mobile App
  • Mosquotto broker
  • Unifi Network
  • Unifi Protect
  • WLED

I can’t say what is causing it, but try to install the Raspberry Pi Power Supply Checker integration.
Its probably not that but its a good sensor to have when using a Raspi.

Ok got that installed. I’ll check this in the history next time the issue occurs.

I suspect though it may stay on OK considering that all other sensor data went missing when the issue occurs.

That system is definitely running way too hot.

Official critical value is 70 degrees Celsius for a Pi 4. With passive cooling this should - depending on the continuous system load - improve/lower that by approx. 10 to 20 degrees Celsius.

My Pi 4 HA system is running fine and only touches 65 degrees during nightly full system backup during summertime, in winter it’s about 5 to 10 degrees lower.

Bild

I had heavy lockup/freeze issues back in the Pi 3B+ days. Turned out: not enough RAM, was constantly swapping to 100 %. Switching to Pi 4 with 8 GB gave more than enough room for future tasks, problems immediately disappeared.

Will be working on this as soon as possible for a cooler Pi in general, oddly the temperature even in summer stays around the same.

The network rack will eventually be placed in the attic room next year so should be much cooler as radiator doesn’t be turned on.

The critical temperature is actually somewhere over 80°C.
Raspbian OS is set to throttle at 65°C, because there is no extra cooling on a Raspberry 4 as default.
There is an option in the somewhere to change the 65°C throttle limit to 80°C.

Its not that odd actually.
It just means that you are hitting the throttle limit both summer and winter.

personally, I got an argon case:
https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-m-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-4.html

with an addon for active cooling:

but even without the active cooling, I am around 45/48 °C

Small update.

I have had the below add-ons disabled since my last crash on post 33 and have not experienced any crashes since then so far:

• ESPHome
  • Terminal & SSH

I had replaced Terminal & SSH with a community add-on being SSH & Web Terminal so haven’t lost anything there but had some devices on ESPHome but haven’t missed them so far.

Will plan to re-enable ESPHome soon though to see if the issue stars occurring again.

On the Pi monitoring side of things, usage seems to be good and haven’t seen any issues as shown below for past 128 hours, SWAP is only 7.8MiB out of the near 3Gb:

I have decided to now re-enable ESPHome and will continue to monitor.

After further update I believe the addon Terminal & SSH may have likely caused the issue but Cascano42’s suggestion to increase the SWAP has also helped.

I’ve also managed to get the temperature from 60 to 32 degrees but this was done after all other testing was performed.

1 Like