Home Assistant restart notification

There’s criticism of a concept and approach, not of the individual.

Posting ideas to a public forum opens them to discussion, which includes challenging them. The goal is to discover improvements, alternatives, and possibly even a deeper understanding of the subject matter. If you have no interest in this process then follow your own advice and “just scroll past it”.

2 Likes

I definitely think there’s a deluge of blueprints. And I am definitely concerned that this deluge will overwhelm the marketplace and hide the better ones.

But I do think blueprints are not just for automations you want multiple copies of. Blueprints also make HA more approachable and easy to use for people that are not technical. The reality is automations are pretty technical. Even if you’re using the UI-based automations it still doesn’t take too long to hit YAML blocks, templates, programming constructs like choose or for, etc. HA’s userbase is filled with people that are more then willing to jump into that. But I’m sure there’s lots of people that got turned off by that and gave up. Or are struggling through it but really wish there was an easier way to leverage what others seemed to find much easier.

So I disagree that blueprints should be complicated to be useful, simple ones can be useful too. People trying out HA will likely find it easier to install a blueprint, fill in a few inputs and see some automation happen then to dig into how automations work. And then hopefully they can explore that automation and use that to learn how it works so they can make more themselves. I just hope we can figure out a way to highlight the good ones by then since if blueprints turn into an IFTTT applet situation they won’t be so useful.

3 Likes

Good analogy. We are already seeing that trend. Some blueprints are so simplistic that they’re no different than using the Automation Editor (turn on light at 08:00).

What I predict is that we will be seeing a new category of user in the community. One who is incapable of creating automations (of any complexity) and will rely exclusively on blueprints created by others. Whereas many users are self-sufficient, and ask for help to improve or fix their automations, these will be asking others to create blueprints for them (because they cannot compose their own automation nor modify someone else’s automation). “Interesting times” lie ahead.

2 Likes

Hi roadkill247
You can integrate it into automation to make the Home Assistant logo appear in a different color.

Thank’s Zoltan

That’s already happening.

I personally have seen it twice now where people have posted asking for someone to provide them a blueprint for an automation.

No doubt. But it seems to me that it will be more of a fragmentation into to communities of semi-capable users. Frankly, learning enough HA to just get to the point where you understand what blueprints are isn’t too far behind understanding automations.

I think it’ll be a while before HA is fully usable out of the box for the beginner. Think of the commercial “smart home” products out there. Most present an extremely simplified UI, and still some people struggle. People also struggle with TV remotes.

It’ll be interesting to see how many people blueprints draw away from automations. Personally, I’m still learning automations, and have no immediate interest in diving into a new process. But I like the idea.

Hello friends. I am having this error in automation.
How could I solve it? Thank you

Logger: homeassistant.components.automation.home_assistant_restart_notification_3
Source: components/mobile_app/util.py:44
Integration: Automatización ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/automation), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+automation%22))
First occurred: 14:45:35 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 14:45:35

* Home Assistant Restart Notification: Error executing script. Unexpected error for device at pos 1: 'notify'
* While executing automation automation.home_assistant_restart_notification_3

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 250, in _async_step
    await getattr(
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 469, in _async_device_step
    await platform.async_call_action_from_config(
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/mobile_app/device_action.py", line 46, in async_call_action_from_config
    service_name = get_notify_service(hass, webhook_id)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/homeassistant/components/mobile_app/util.py", line 44, in get_notify_service
    notify_service: "MobileAppNotificationService" = hass.data[DOMAIN][DATA_NOTIFY]
KeyError: 'notify'```

is it possible to include the local ip of HA in the notification via the local_ip integration?

automation:
  alias: Restart notification with ip address
  trigger:
    platform: homeassistant
    event: start
  action:
    service: notify.YOU
    data:
      message: "Homeassistant is online and reachable at http://{{ states('sensor.local_ip') }}:8123"

However I should point out that you should really use some method or other to keep homeassistant’s ip consistent.

1 Like

Lol - I’ve just realised what thread this is, and I think this proves what we were about blueprints for ‘little things’, took me 10 seconds to write that, would have taken far longer to fire up a browser, search for a blueprint, find the blueprint, copy the url over to homeassistant, save it, and then go to the automation editor and generate the automation.

And my version doesn’t restrict what notification platform you can use.

Bonkers.

4 Likes

@anon43302295 thank you!!! This is great.

Yes - I do have a static ip assigned however have been having router issues and have been losing my reservations. Thanks again!

1 Like

Can you please update it so it also has a option to send out the message to Alexa/google home?

1 Like

Really like this blue print.

when i was uprading from a Pi3b+ SD set up to Pi4 8GB SSD set up, i had trouble to log in to the “new” set up after boot installation.
only way i noticed the back up (snapshot) install had worked was due to the restart notification.
why i could not log in was that i gave the old Pi set up a fixed IP based on Mac adress in my router for duck.dns.
so i altered the mac adress in my router to the new Pi set up, rebooted everything.
waited for the notification…
and there it was, i could log in and was back in the game!

:+1:

1 Like

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

I have added Telegram:

blueprint:
  name: Home Assistant Restart Notification with Telegram
  description: Notify a user via device or Telegram that Home Assistant has successfully restarted
  domain: automation
  input:
    notification_title:
      name: Notification title (Optional)
      description: 'Default: "Home Assistant"'
      default: Home Assistant
    notification_message:
      name: Notification message (Optional)
      description: 'Default: "Home Assistant has successfully restarted!"'
      default: Home Assistant has successfully restarted!
    notify_device:
      name: Device to notify
      description: Device needs to run the official Home Assistant app to receive notifications
      selector:
        device:
          integration: mobile_app
          multiple: false
    notify_telegram:
      name: Telegram to notify (Optional)
      description: 'The Telegram service to use for notifications'
      default: notify.telegram
  source_url: https://gist.github.com/gregoryduckworth/c41e0abced1a3001f0e038ac52890cab
trigger:
  platform: homeassistant
  event: start
variables:
  notification_title: !input notification_title
  notification_message: !input notification_message
  notify_device: !input notify_device
  notify_telegram: !input notify_telegram
action:
  - device_id: !input notify_device
    domain: mobile_app
    type: notify