Home Assistant slow and then unreachable after updating from Core 0.114.3 OS 4.14

I updated Home Assistant a few days ago and since then it has become unusable; I need to power it off and on to get some minutes of access to it before it goes offline again.
The Rpi_power sensor says it’s overheating but actually CPU temperature is not higher than 60 C, while I understand it should run happily up to 80 C.
What can I do/check?

You could tell us what version you updated from and to.

Supervisor

Version

Newest version

Operating system

HassOS 4.14

no idea what I had before (where can I see that?) but it would have been only a few days after my previous update

so you didn’t update?

I actually meant the home assistant core version. The latest is 0.116.4. What were you on before?

Do you get a chance to see the logs before it crashes?

I updated maybe 10 days ago to whatever versions were the latest and then I updated yesterday to whatever was latest yesterday (the problems started yesterday)

I have to ask: what’s the difference between Home Assistant core ad HassOS? I normally update both but I have no clue what they mean

Home Assistant core is the main home assistant program. It runs on its own, or via docker. It has versions like 0.116.4.

The OS is just that, an operating system that takes over your system, it is instead of something like ubuntu, debian, windows or macos. It runs the whole computer, as well as the supervisor and core.

The supervisor controls the system. It is in the os but can also be run separately to the OS via a supervised install. It installs addons, does backups and probably othrt stuff I have forgotten to mention. It has versions like 247.

Somebody else reported issues with HassOS 4.14, but then you know that because you posted there before starting a separate thread …

Others have posted about high CPU usage lately, and there’s been a few queries on Discord. That’s likely related, and there’s also an open issue about that.

I did see a high CPU (100%) usage from HA after updating to 0.115.6, but when I restarted HA it returned to normal.

I couldn’t find the other topic, sorry

Anyway, as an example, I just installed MariaDB, started it and it all became unresponsive

Is there a way to downgrade?

I don’t think you can downgrade HassOS, but if you can it’s likely in the HassOS docs.

You can certainly downgrade HA.

I have enabled the system monitor sensor to check cpu usage and I noticed it goes up when I open home assistant in 3-4 tabs of my browser or on multiple devices
If I close the browser, it becomes usable again and cpu load goes down

Edit: no, it’s not that, it just crashed again

I ended up wiping and restoring a snapshot and it has now worked fine for almost a day

These are the versions I’m in now

It worked fine for a couple of days, but this morning I found out it restarted sometime around 6am and it took almost 2 hours to restart properly; since my last post I installed Grafana, influxDB and Glances

After more than two months running smoothly, I decided to try and update again

The result is that after a couple of days Home Assistant has become unreachable

This is what I upgraded from and to (screenshot taken before updating)
I updated Home Assistant Core first and then Operating System, was this ok?