Home Assistant stops working after a couple of hours

Hey there!

i’m having problems with my setup. About every 10 hours or so Home Assistant ist getting unreachable in my network. My lights and Automations don’t work as well and i have to hard reset my pi. it seems my system freezes for some reason.

This all started since i think 0.112 or 0.113 i’m running hassio on a raspberry pi 3b.

What i’ve done so far:

• i changed the power supply of my raspberry to a new original raspberry power supply.
  • i changed the raspberry to another 3b model. (the old one smelled burned, cpu temp is about 64C)
  • i changed the sd card to a new one (A2, 64GB)
  • i removed HACS and all custom components
  • i disabled the addons google snapshots and the android debug bridge.
    samba, ssh, deconz are still running.
  • i deleted the .db file (not using mariadb)

When Home Assistant is online i don’t get any errors in the log. And after the hardreset the log is cleared. so i can’t provide any logs.

could it be deconz? There is an issue on git where sensors and lights are unreachable every now and then. this happend to me as well, but it seems to be gone in 0.114

i’m really lost for a while now.
Has anybody an idea what i can try?

Monitor your cpu and memory use.

There have been reports of excessive CPU utilisation.

I’ve got a problem whereby my CPU usage, load, memory usage and swap usage all spike around 4:15 in the morning causing a reboot - very difficult to know where to begin debugging it. :frowning:

That is the nightly database purge (04:16 am) How big is your database?

Thank you for the hint. i’m pretty sure its related to this issue.

It might be the power adapter. If cpu spikes and the power adapter cannot deliver enough power, you can get a hard crash.

i placed a heatsink on the cpu of the raspberry. the temperature is now under 60C and no freeze since 2 days. i also updated to the newest update which is 0.114.2 i think. but i can see a slight growth of cpu usage over a couple of hours vom 4-8% to 10-20%.
After a reboot it starts again with 4-8%.

i started some of my addons: nodered,deconz, samba and ssh terminal.
google snapshots and esphome are disabled at the moment.

But for now, i’m quite happy my setup dont freeze anymore.

Hopefully its the zeroconf one which is fixed in 0.114.3

i hope so too. despite the issues you guys are doing an amazing job.

0.114.3 is out. Can you give that a shot?

You did it!

0.114.2: with ESPhome processor usage spikes 55-60%

2020-08-20 15_43_57-Window

0.114.3: with ESPhome and all add-ons started plus HACS installed:

2020-08-20 15_53_19-Window

Thank you so much!

Great. There is one more PR for esphome coming which should reduce cpu a bit more.