Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 11 WON'T RUN

It is there, just for some reason it is not running.

if you start it, you can see the log in portainer

Or by typing

docker logs homeassistant

It says BullsEye and 11, codename Debian. When I installed I used the Debian 11(bullseye) repository.

I see “exec /init: exec format error”

I am officially confused by debian/raspbian differences, and why debian would call itself raspbian, so ignore that answer :slight_smile:

What guide did you use to install?

I used that version

I mean what guide for installing supervised.

Sorry, here is the guide. Instead of x86 I used arm7 release version.

An “exec format error” suggests a CPU architecture mismatch between the container and the hardware.

1 Like

I have used os-agent_1.2.2_linux_armv7.deb. Trying to use amd64, tells me that it is armf architecture. So I believe I had done the right thing regarding the CPU architecture.

There is official documentation, and there is youtube, and frequently they don’t coincide.

Use the official documentation.

1 Like

That’s quite a vague answer.

If you mean “add-ons” then there are better options. Like HA OS either as an image install or in a VM.

If you mean additional applications, then that is not supported in a supervised install. To be officially supported the OS running the supervised install must be Debian (and not a derivative of Debian, like you have shown above), and must be dedicated to only running Home Assistant. Nothing else. No other apps. Supervised has some very restrictive conditions. You would be better off using a container install or a VM install. So you can run your other applications in containers or other VMs.

1 Like

This guide is known to work:

1 Like

And I just noticed that supervised is not listed for rpi under the official docs. So beware, and I endorse what @francisp said, @kanga_who 's guides are good.

1 Like

This screenshot shows raspberrypi4-64, but your other screenshot shows you installed 32 OS. 64bit docker image will give a ‘exec format error’, because 64bit docker images don’t work on a 32 bit OS

2 Likes

That was not the issue. I still faced the same issue, when I went to the regular Raspberry Pi4.

Confirmed. I have same issue since 2022.5 upgrade. Found that the supervisor pull image “ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant” that cannot start in our environment. I can manually pull and run docker as following but loss ability to use supervision add on and restore from backup. No time to investigate how to fix it.

docker run -d --name homeassistant --privileged --restart=unless-stopped -e TZ=Asia/Bangkok -v /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant:/config --network=host ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:stable

Hey,

I was facing the same issue. The problem is you choosed the wrong system on installing the homeassistant-supervised.deb. I fixed this with the following steps:

• First remove homeassistant-supervised with sudo apt-get remove homeassistant-supervised
  • Run docker ps which will list all running docker containers
  • Remove stop all containers with docker stop CONTAINER_ID
  • Run docker system prune -a this will remove all docker images and so on
  • For safety restart your system with sudo reboot
  • After the restart install homeassistant-supervised again with sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
  • Now choose the right architecture for me it was raspberrypi4 instead of raspberrypi4-64 following this guide: Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi with Debian 11

This fixed it for me. Hope this helps.

1 Like