Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Hi, this package is awesome, and has been running great for a while. I decided to remove it and start again as my system was a mess. I’ve updated everything and am running HA 108.3 but my supervisor container is rebooting every few minutes. I’ve stopped the package and cleared the supervisor docker but it’s still doing it. Any thoughts?

Same problem here. I have try different solutions, reboot, reinstall and clear but with no luck.
@fredrike any other tips to try to fix it?

Thank you!!

What kind of problem are you referring to?

I have /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js. error with hassio_supervisor container loop rebooting.
Thanks

Running your latest package with Home-Assistant version 108.5
Everything works fine, except every few days ZHA doesn’t work anymore (HUSBZB-1)
all the devices appear “Unavailable”
I tried:

• restarting Home-Assistant from “config/server_control”
  • unplug/replug HUSBZB-1
  • listing the usb devices through SSH lsusb (it shows up just fine)

but that didn’t bring it back.
Only solution so far was to reboot the whole NAS.
This is not specific to version 108.5, been noticing it since at least version 100.0 (don’t remember)
Any trick?

Hi. I’m using Hass.io on Synology from the package center and am getting this error: “curl: (6) Could not resolve host: plex.tv”. I found issue #7 in hassio-addons github saying what to do. I’ve created this file /etc/docker/daemon.json on my host Synology NAS with my router ip and 1.1.1.1, and restarted the NAS. Still not working. Any ideas?

@fredrike what are the benafits of this install over using synologys own Virtual machine manager?

I followed this guide originally: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/synology/

It says the using VMM was better then docker because of the issues with TCP/UDP port conflicts and USB dongles.

Assuming its correct this install is not as good as VMM? But is that correct?

What I can’t figure out is this? Using a VDI image on synology VMM I CAN NOT get samba addon to show shares on my network under the hassIO IP. However I went ahead and did a second install this time inside the docker package you made for synology. Whats interesting is samba now works and I want to know WHY?

I believe it has something to do with the shared IP between the NAS and the Hass.io install. In one case (docker) the IP is shared and in the other synology VMM its not shared. I thought a seperate IP was an advantage at first but maybe not.

Love to hear some input from you guys.

Also I have surveillance station running on my synology and wonder has your package been updated to deal with the IP conflict? I think the answer is YES because when I look under network i see bridge and hassio with 172.17 and 172.30 respectively. So does this note still apply?

Synology packages that show network information such as the VPN and Surveillance Station package does not play nice with the way the hassio network is created. The workaround is to remove the hassio network from the Docker -> Network panel and create a network with the same settings (IPv4, Subnet: 172.30.32.0/23,IP Range: 172.30.33.0/24, Gateway 172.30.32.1) and assign all related Home Assistant containers to that network.

THANKS

It gives better performance but also have some issues (the fast development of ha makes it hard to keep track of all changes).

@fredrike Well I tried virtual machine manager on my synology and hit a road block with samba shares. They would not work no matter what i did.

Samba works great in docker so I’m moving over to docker but now I wondering about.

1. The issues in your note about surveillance station, Is that still a concern? does the internal network using 172.30 and 172.17 address this or no? It seems when I installed i did not need to make any changes, is that right?

2. Is the USB issues with docker a problem i’ll be running into? or is that also fixed in your latest beta?

THANKS

Hi!
I have used this package for a long time, but on my system it is very unstable.
Every time I need to restart the Home Assistant I have to pray to get it working again.
I need to restart Synology several times for hass.io to work. I have reinstalled the system several times and I am almost giving up on using Home Assistant in Synology.
Is there a more stable way to install Hass.io on Synology?
Im using Hassio with Docker on Synology.

That is not possible.

You either run HomeAssistant-core in Docker (without addon capabilities), or you use this package (which might have some drawbacks) to get an almost complete hass.io experience. Hass.io is a dockerized solution where the supervisor is controlling Docker and several Docker containers.

Hi @fredrike!
Sorry for not explaining my installation correctly. Im using this package on synology, however every time that i needed restart the Home Assistant the system crash and i have to restart synology several times until it works again.
Is there a more stable way to use hassio on synology?

@doors.sl are you using xpenology by chance? If you are xpen is super picky over hardware and my guess is you are seeing a hardware issue surface with hass.io. Just an idea. I also have xpenology but I have a very similar board to a real synology and it works the same as the real deal.

@fredrike Since you built this package for synology do you know how I could install this container using docker command line? See: https://github.com/dmitrif/onvif2mqtt

Its not as straightforward as you would think because synology does not have git or apt and the docker command line option listed on that git repo does not work for the synology docker.
Anyway love your input on this?

I also still wondering about your notes on surveillance station causing issues with hass.io. (so far I’ve seen none) so is this just an old issue that no longer comes up? Or something else? I was seeing issue with samba for a bit but its gone now, the IP address of my synology is shared with the hass.io and it works, which is kinda amazing. Also curious about the USB note, again is that just an old issue since fixed?

THANKS for your time.

I finally got it running. I don’t have a Z-wave stick yet, but plan to buy one this next week. Can you recommend one that requires the least bit of effort to get running?

Ok fixed this (I think) I removed the package then deleted all reference to hass.io from the docker directory. Reinstalled the package - no difference after I on boarded home assistant. Repeated it with a Nas reboot after the deletion and reinstalled the package. Reboots started again shortly after the on boarding processes.

Final fix remove the package and the files from the docker directory. Remove docker package reboot Nas.

Reinstall docker reinstall the package. On board devices and have been stable for 3 days.

Now to put the other add-ons and build my front end again.

Full repect to fredrike. It’s been great to have this option for my Nas and be able to get more out of it and I have learnt heaps about home assistant and docker because of it.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who has seen some strange behaviour with their system that it might not be the Hass package but docker.

Like the post above I’ll be looking to install a zwave stick soon so any advise would be great.

Thanks

Ezekiel

1 Like

I am having trouble getting my wyze usb dongle to load.

lsusb gives me the following:

|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0404 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (Linux 4.4.59+ xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 0000:00:15.0) hub
|__1-3         1a86:e024:010e 00  1.10   12MBit/s 100mA 1IF  ( ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffad)

In my log I have this:

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['ls', '-la', '/sys/class/hidraw']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

I am trying to follow these instructions:

Passing dongle hidraw device into Docker:

I created the “99-wyze.rules”, but there is no “docker-compose.yml”, correct?
Additionally, is my wyze usb dongle supposed to load as a “hidraw” subsystem?

I had the exact same issue and solution.

See here.

Rock solid since.

I’m glad you got it working.

Thanks, adding the hassio network manually before installing the package did the trick for me. For the new multicast container to work it’s important that com.docker.network.bridge.name=hassio is set which you can’t do via the Synology Docker GUI directly. I used:

docker network create -o com.docker.network.bridge.name=hassio --driver=bridge --subnet=172.30.32.0/23 --ip-range=172.30.32.0/24 --gateway=172.30.32.1 hassio
1 Like