Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Thanks for your reaction. I let this now for what it is.

@Spiritus I am an unraid user just getting started running hassio in a docker…things have been great for weeks since a recent update. Now I have the same issues you are having.

Did you solve this and if so what did you do?

But still I don’t get it how you don’t see docker.sock in /var/run/
If everything is ok it should be there. It does require user permission to see it, but I presume you are using some elevated privilege account to check/configure.

I have a new DS720+ running on DSM 6.2.3-25426, trusted publishers extended and synocommunity, but missing the image there. Anything I can do to fix the missing packages, or can someone upload the .spk elsewhere so I can manually install it?

Edit: Use this link to manually download an older package, it should pull latest Hassio container.
https://github.com/publicarray/spksrc/releases/download/hassio-20191224/hassio_x64-6.1_20191224-1.spk

Searches: manual install, .spk, direct link, package not found

Try to reload, SynoCommunity list. It can take few tries. Package is there but repository has sometimes issues.

I reloaded for 2 days, frequently, but it never updated past the list I had sadly.
Instead I used the link posted before, which I shall edit in as well: https://github.com/publicarray/spksrc/releases/download/hassio-20191224/hassio_x64-6.1_20191224-1.spk

Download and use “Manual Install”.

That should be the same SPK as in repository.

Cool, thanks for the confirmation :slight_smile:

So far so good, only weird thing I see is that updater is unavailable. Will see if it reads my P10 data via USB and my Deconz stick.

Edit: Sadly, 1 hour in P1 data stream via DSMR is throwing an ascii error.

> 2020-06-27 22:40:49 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Exception in callback SerialTransport._read_ready() stderr
> 20:40:49 Traceback (most recent call last): stderr
> 20:40:49 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/events.py", line 88, in _run stderr
> 20:40:49 self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args) stderr
> 20:40:49 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial_asyncio/__init__.py", line 106, in _read_ready stderr
> 20:40:49 self._protocol.data_received(data) stderr
20:40:49 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/dsmr_parser/clients/protocol.py", line 87, in data_received stderr
20:40:49 data = data.decode('ascii') stderr
20:40:49 UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc0 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

Good news is I got the Deconz Zigbee stick working!
Added the following to HomeAssistant core container:
Environment variable added: device - /dev/xxx/ (take from supervisor hardware as stated in Deconz documentation). Seems this was required to pass USB data through. Will also try that with P1 but since it’s on /dev/ttyACM0 (I think? Only other non-serial port I see) I’m not sure if it’ll work.

Edit 2: I’ve decided to return the 720+ in favour of an older model. Nothing was working as it should. I do have experience with hassio on RPI, so it’s not like I’m entirely new to the product.

@BeardedConti which Synology device are you running your hassio installation on? I am looking to go maybe 1 generation back, so there is at least USB driver support etc.

Anyone got the “APC UPS Daemon” to work in the synology? Installation works fine on my DS218+ but it will not start and nothing shows up in the log? Might be some issue with the USB?

APC UPS Daemon? I have APC Smart UPS configured in Synology and using UPS NUT, available through Synology, to publish it to Home Assistant.

1 Like

Thanks, i was looking into UPS NUT…but could not find my model supported ( APC ES 700 VA UPS) hence i was looking into alternatives.
…but as usual talking to you solves the problem, just follow the https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nut/ configuration…and it is there :slight_smile:
Many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have any of use seen this in the supervisor log before?

foreground: warning: unable to spawn /var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/udev.sh: Permission denied

To answer my own question above, repeated install or I guess I should say re-install created permissions errors. Despite many failed attempts using docker system prune commands the only solution that solved the problem was removing docker (and all images and files) and reinstalling fresh (creating a new folder). Once that was completed Hass.io loaded properly.

You should see me talking to my self :slight_smile: doesn’t help much and my familiy looks at me strangely :smiley:

Great that you got it working!

1 Like

OK, that’s a strange issue… Can you tell me PLZ on what version of Docker and Synology DSM did you run into this?

for those interested I got the docker monitoring working. :grinning:
Edit /var/packages/Docker/etc/dockerd.json to look similar like this:

{
   "data-root" : "/var/packages/Docker/target/docker",
   "hosts" : [ "tcp://192.168.200.19:2375", "unix:///var/run/docker.sock" ],
   "log-driver" : "db",
   "registry-mirrors" : [],
   "storage-driver" : "btrfs"
}

Of course you need to use the ip of your diskstation instead of 192.168.200.19.
Do not touch the unix domain socket binding, as the docker ui relies on it!

Source: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/107492

1 Like

DSM 6.2.3-25426 is the version.

Hi all, has anyone got the aeotec z wave stick up and running using this package? Mine is arriving tomorrow so any tips or tricks to get it to work would be appreciated. I have the drivers from the first few posts installed ready for tomorrow. I figure I’ll just plug it in and go from there.

Hi all, I’ve inserted the z wave stick and tried the Sudo commands as above and it says the files exist.
I’ve added the zwave integration and now the home assistant docker just continues to reboot every minute over and over. Logs look fine. I can’t maintain stability long enough to load a previous snap shot. Any assistance would be welcome. I really don’t want to uninstall everything and docker again. But if I have to I have too

If I take the USB stick out of the Nas it stops rebooting. Will reboot the nas with the USB stick in and see what happens next