Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

It is too bad that Synology does not jump on the home automation bandwagon and drive this together with HA.
Most people are moving away from NAS to cloud based services…but HA is driving this in the other direction where you should have hardware at home. It is a really nice combo to have raid NAS toghether with your home automation system.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s working again, new version installed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the same error again and again. I have install HAS on Synology, Win10, Linux Fedora31:
same problem everywhere. I followed all recipes and spend abt 11 hours. I am planning to stop, unless someone is helping out or Synology upgrades to DOCKER 19.03… Don’t have a good feeling, alas.

Sorry, edgar

…will attend the HA virtual conference , sure. But provide feedback abt DOMTICZ next.

I can’t get supervisor tab back despite multiple restarts.
I’d like to debug that issue more deeply.

First short description of my (partially) stupid steps.
I didn’t see that there is workaround for unhealthy setup so I tried to update docker using https://github.com/markdumay/synology-docker
It went fine but it also broke most of the stuff by changing log-driver ant other stuff.

So I reverted that update and tried to move back to working scenario.
But after rollback I’m not able to get supervisor working again.
I restarted hass.io several times. Also whole Synology. Nothing works.
No Supervisor,

Can someone that have working solution can share docker inspect output for running containers? I even reinstalled both docker and hass.io packages on my DS216+ but it didn’t help.
I’d like to debug that issue but I need some comparison with working system.

Did you delete remaining containers?

For those who have a working system and want to play: DSM 7.0 public beta has been released
https://prerelease.synology.com/en-global/download/dsm70_beta

Still includes the older Docker version 18.09.x

But also, there is no going back from beta 7 to DSM 6.x if I’m not mistaken. And SynoCommunity packages still don’t work?

There is still the hack with editing the version for downgrading. But you can install v7 in the VMM for testing. https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/iyr2ct/downgrade_dsm_70/

Only 3rd party apps modified for version 7’s new permission scheme might work:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Third_Party/supported_third_party_packages_beta

Hi, I’d just like to confirm that hassio package is no longer working on DSM 7.0 beta1. Hopefully the fix will be easy, with just a permissions update.

Yes I tried that too. It’s possible to ask for removing them during uninstallation of hass.io package.
But after that and reinstall it still says:
Supervisor false
in config panel of Home Assistant while it creates bunch of containers even these for addons during install.

1 Like

RE supervisor tab back (personal experience):

1. Run fresh install of HASSIO DSM native package in new folder
  2. After installation: go through “installation wizard” (account, name, devices etc).
    Note 1. Some steps can result in error messages (does not pass), just load back to [ip]:8123 to continue
  3. You have to login finally to default Hassio page
    Note 2: supervisor tab does not work
  4. Go to Synology Package center. Stop Hassio package. Check in Docker hassio_supervisor container status (it has to stop automatically!)
    Note 3: Do NOT stop and clean hassio_supervisor manually, in my case it broke operation completely (endless reboot cycle)
  5. Go back to Synology Package center. Start Hassio package.
  6. Reload Home assistant page - supervisor tab has to be back.

Hope it helps

2 Likes

Probably a dumb question, but what exactly does the older version of Docker preclude HA from doing? Other than tearing my hair out over this new issue and implementing a hacky fix, it doesn’t seem to have actually affected anything within my installation.

Dumb question number 2 - is it normal to use the term “unhealthy” to refer to unsupported platforms? When I first saw that I immediately assumed my RAID had gone bad or something. Why doesn’t that just fall under “unsupported”?

#3 - How was I supposed to know this was coming? I don’t browse the HA wiki for fun, nor as a Synology user have I really paid attention to what my Docker version was. I don’t even look at the System tab all that often on HA.

I feel like this is one of those issues where software engineers, who have a holistic knowledge of everything and are accustomed to staying ahead of breaking changes, forget that there’s another tier of nerd, like me, that’s happy to tinker with YAML for weeks on end to get everything right, but aren’t necessarily in a position to start from scratch all the time.

4 Likes

Well let’s say that helps. But not really. I can start from scratch and it simply works but I didn’t want to loose all my settings and integrations configured so far. In my case if I start from scratch then I don’t even have to use steps from 2+.
But to the point. If we can’t figure out what is the problem with install that was functioning and stopped then I’m not really surprised that HA folks don’t want to support such exotic scenarios.
I’d like to see some hints how to debug it further.
I’m from Linux world and we don’t fix problems by reinstalling everything from scratch.

Same problem in my case was partially solved by Snapshot recovery: integrations, zigbee settings etc were ok after recovery. Last week changes was lost, but it was acceptable in my case + old folder with some extra settings etc is still available. And You are 100% to the point - this is not linux way to fix issues :slight_smile: This instruction can help (for some time) with migration from other platforms to Synology at present time and present conditions.

That’s weird.
I have a DS218+ and am running both Fredrike’s package and a VM with full hass.io next to each other for a month now. Noticed that the VM takes a bit more processing power than the Docker one.

1 Like

ah… @GH2user did you buy the expansion unit or did you manage to set up the BTR File System (btrfs)? I have the synology (ds218 +) with the two disks in RAID1 and I was unable to put btrfs in the main volume. I had read on the internet that on this model it could not be done and it was necessary to buy the expansion.

@miga
I just used SHR, BTRFS for two disks as one storage pool.
Installed VMM and used the VMDK (VMWare Workstation) image from the HomeAssistant site.

I do have another NAS for backups.

1 Like

Hi GH2user, I tried a lot of time to install the VMDK (and OVA, QCOW2…) on Synology VMM (DS718+), it takes a lot of time to bring me to the onboard page, but every time the supervisor tab is always shown empty! I am able to install integrations (asus, synology, tuya…) but I can’t manage hassio. The strange thing is that if connect my router from remote, using OpenVPN, everything (hassio supervisor) works fine, but not in LAN!! Any idea?
Thanks in advance

Yeah, I found a hack to start it partially going in through ssh… “sudo scripts/start-stop-status start” then they also stopped the usb stuff so I don’t have zigbee now… I found a thread from some people in july using these 3 commands… to get the usb working again on the pre release

/sbin/modprobe usbserial
/sbin/modprobe ftdi_sio
/sbin/modprobe cdc-acm

Sadly still not zigbee. I then tossed up a hail mary and copied over a privilege file from another package so I didn’t have to use the hack to start up the service… didn’t work… got frustrated, wrote a complaint to synology, and then uninstalled. I am no guru at synology or the low level of home assistant… to even docker… I too hope someone gets this going soon. I’m about ready to buy a SBC as right all muy automations in the house are down.