Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

As @legi wrote, check your database (*.db file) - try moving it somewhere or renaming it and then restart HA. By doing this, you’ll lose history statistics/states, but this could be the issue.

@legi and @BeardedConti, thanks for the suggestions!

My recorder was on MariaDB. To be sure the database was not the problem, I renamed the old (unused) home-assistant_v2.db file, commented out the recorder lines in configuration.yaml and restarted home assistant. A new home-assistant_v2.db file was created so the database is now on local filesystem.

I’m sorry to say that this did not resolve the issue. Memory usage of the homeassistant docker is still sky-high and the Home Assistant GUI is unresponsive.

I am now on the latest version of Home Assistant, but the issue started on the previous version. I installed the update to see if it would solve the issue, but it did not.

Never seen this problem before - are there any problems in HA logs? Slow component loading?

I have made some progress. Feeling a little ashamed about my findings though…

The HA Log was not very helpful, but the log of the homeassistant docker had some lines indicating problems loading serial devices. After the insmod commands (#2 post) and restart of Home Assistant things went back to normal memory usage. I have the insmod commands in a startup script now.

Of course I know about the jadahl serial USB drivers and the insmod commands. But strange enough I never needed those. The Z-Wave and Zigbee sticks worked fine out of the box for about 2 months (referenced by their serial-id’s). They even survived multiple DS reboots. I don’t know why this issue suddenly emerged.

Thank you for your help!

Did you update to 19.03 and if so how did you get Hass.io to install.

No I did not update docker to 19.03. What I read is that it does not work at all. I could be wrong though.

Thats what I have, Docker is working, but hass.io wont install, it has to do with the btrfs with inappropriate ioctl for device, whatever that means.

Hi guys,
Is something wrong with the .spk file now when HA 2020.12.6 is available?
I’ve tried to reinstall my running instance of HASSIO on Synology and now I’m unable to re-install it.
I’ve tried also to reinstall the Docker, nothing seems to help.
When checking logs on the only Docker container which starts I get this errors:

‘’’
2020-12-15 19:37:03,stderr, [33m20-12-15 19:37:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Error on install CoreDNS plugin. Retry in 30sec [0m

2020-12-15 19:37:03,stderr, [33m20-12-15 19:37:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Can’t fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:default [Try again] [0m

2020-12-15 19:36:58,stderr, [32m20-12-15 19:36:58 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Fetching update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json [0m

Nope, I run 2020.12.0 Core with 2020.12.6 Supervisor.
This error on second line could indicate that site is unavailable (but it’s not, just verified and URL does work) or that you have some DNS/network error.
Did you maybe try network fix from post 2 - not sure if it would help, but worth a try.

Re-adding the hassio bridge didn’t help and in the end I just reinstalled DSM, now installation works fine. Thanks

1 Like

I update supervisor to 12.7 now nothing is working anymore. How can I rollback the docker?

Stop the package, then delete the supervisor container. Start the package again. Supervisor should appear again.

Unfortunately no luck on that. Container keeps rebooting.

docker.errors.DockerException: Error while fetching server API version: ('Connection aborted.', FileNotFoundError(2, 'No such file or directory'))
20-12-17 00:14:07 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unclosed client session
client_session: <aiohttp.client.ClientSession object at 0x7f0e57095700>
20-12-17 00:14:07 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unclosed client session
client_session: <aiohttp.client.ClientSession object at 0x7f0e57095970>
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Is docker fully running? Did you restart? Last option is always to backup your hass.io folder, uninstall the package, remove all remaining related containers, reinstall the package using the previous config

Anyone experience increased CPU usage on 2020.12.0? HA was fine for the first few hours but then became unresponsive and I had to roll back to 0.118.5 to make it usable again. Before rolling back I tried resetting the db and ensuring the insmod commands had been applied but no luck. No errors in logs or anything either, just very unresponsive and resource hungry.

I am on 2020.12.0 and CPU Usage is normal here.

I get an error “Failed to save: undefined” when clicking Next in the location window in the onboarding dialog, after installing the hass.io package on a Synology server.

If I close the browser window, I can access the home assistant gui anyway, but the installation does not seem to be completed. The Supervisor window is empty, and the configuration info shows this:

Any Ideas what is wrong ?

I have tried the clean the docker containers and start over. I have even tried to uninstall docker entirely, delete the shared forlder on the Synology server, and start it all from scratch, but still with the same result.
To be fair: the first time I installed hass.io it went fine, but for other reasons, I wanted to start over with a fresh installation, and then the trouble started. Could it be caused by some leftovers from the first installation ?

@nbech I just discovered this package for DSM and I am seeing most of the same things. I am really really excited this package is a thing! I would have been running my prod system like this for a while by now.

I did notice the server controls are pretty different…

Lot to sift through but was wondering if anyone is able to update to Home Assistant Core 2020.12.1? I updated Supervisor to latest and now I’m unable to update anything.

20-12-19 16:41:42 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'HomeAssistantCore.update' blocked from execution, system is not health

You are running an unsupported installation. Learn more
Your installtion is running in an unhealthy state. Learn more

20-12-19 16:45:17 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Found images: {'watchtower'} which are not supported, remove these from the host! (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/container)
20-12-19 16:45:17 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.docker_configuration] Docker storage driver btrfs is not supported!
20-12-19 16:45:17 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.docker_configuration] Docker logging driver db is not supported!
20-12-19 16:45:17 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] The configuration of Docker is not supported (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/docker_configuration)
20-12-19 16:45:17 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Docker version '18.09.8' is not supported by the Supervisor! (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/docker_version)

This is HASS.io package running on a 918+. Docker version is 18.09.0-0513.

Please check post 2 with known issues and jobs.json fix

1 Like