Home Assistant - The Easy Way

Good to see you don’t offer SD cards. I wonder if people would buy an intel model? I’ve never tried hass on a Pi but i’m pretty sure I’ve out grown a pi ages ago.

Survey wasnt open very long. I did not get a chance to vote. What was the result?

Hi @tom_l

The survey was open for about 24 hours, where we in total received 60 responses. The result ended up being 50/50.

1 Like

@NGR The only way you’re going to be able to ‘cool down’ the negative 50% is with a public statement in this topic written by the devs. Try having a conversation with them and see what is possible. Perhaps do a joint venture with Nabu Casa and sell the thing together?

I think this whole thing has been overblown. As long as @NGR is here supporting his customers and supporting other people on the forum I don’t see an issue. Some people need to lighten up.

2 Likes

I can see the reason for the concern. But I suspect you might be right about it being overblown. I’m of the opinion that NGR should go ahead and if it causes problems then it can be dealt with by creating a new forum category.

As I recall, the problem with the previous effort to sell a hass box was the use of the Home Assistant name and logo, which are both registered trademarks.

Anyone can sell a box that runs hass, but if you’re going to use the name and logo you need to ask permission.

1 Like

Looks pretty neath to me too. But im having my doubts about the heat dissipation of that case.

If there’s enough people interested in it, i’m willing to design that case and share the STL code. Thinking of printing it for me as well :slight_smile:

About the whole concept itself i have mixed feelings. The ready “out of the box” idea is great for the so called “noobs” but then what happens next. They come to this forum to seek help. :frowning:

I would love an stl of the case :blush:

2 Likes

Hi All,

We have decided not to move on with the project.
Thank you to everyone for sharing your opinion :blush:.

1 Like

shame about the haters, it would be a good thing for people who dont have the time to learn / are too old etc.

1 Like

But the only thing you didn’t have to learn was flashing the sd card…?

1 Like

flashing sd card, finding and buying radios that work, setting those radios up, initial setup etc. its simple once youve done it once, but i certainly know people who could use it

SmartThings at half the price of this will get you all of that. Home Assistant is not that kind of system (yet). People that doesn’t have the time to learn shouldn’t use HA. It requires time and effort. You can’t just point-click-set-and-forget. You still have to learn MQTT and yaml even if someone else put the raspberry pi and radios in a box for you

3 Likes

I have been in this business for over 40 years (Home Automation) and you are definitely incorrect. “most great products comes from companies trying to make profit” is not correct, especially when you are talking about the open source arena. Take cell phones for instance. Most all of that work was done by amateur radio operators. The data portion of cell phones was also done by ham operators. I know because I was part of that group. It was called NOS and one of the guys writing went to Broadcom. The rest is history. The whole microcomputer personal computer work was done buy a collective group. Gary Kildal wrote the first operating system called CPM. Again it was open source. So no your statement is not true at all. Most great products come out of a dedicated group of amateurs and professionals working in a collective - not for profit environment. Companies just take their work and get greedy. They don’t give back. As you can tell I am not a fan of companies relying on the good nature of a dedicated group. The history proves my point. Actions speak louder than words.
Verizon is yet another example of greed. They use a ton of open source code. They don’t follow any of the laws regarding its use, like publishing the portions that they use in their disclosures as are required by the copyrights. Nor do they allow their people to publish code and contribute to the open source community. They are one of the worst offenders I know. If they were audited by the FCC they would be fines millions.

3 Likes

And then some idiot wrote DOS…

1 Like

alibaba.com :slight_smile: as long as you have money, you can pay them to make anything

Hey, less of the “too old”, if you don’t mind… :thinking:

1 Like

sorry! it was too far