Home assistant with ipv6 and duckdns

I just switched to a new ISP that has IPv6 enabled. I’m having issues hitting my HA instance which is configured to connect remotely using duckdns. (I’m also having issues accessing any services on my server remotely that were working on my other ISP).

I spoke with them and they said they can move me to another switch(?) which is only configured for IPv4. That would likely resolve my issues connecting as it would connect as before… but I’m thinking, at this point shouldn’t we be trying to move to IPv6 anyway?

I have updated DuckDNS with my IPv6 address and configured the http section of my config file with “server_host: ::0” … but that still hasn’t resolved my issue, so I assume I am missing something else.

I can’t seem to find a lot of details about configure Home Assistant to connect over IPv6… so does anyone know how to do this? Any guides I can reference?

Edit1: I see my Linksys router has an option for what it calls “IPv6 Port Services”. My understanding is that port forwarding is no longer necessary with IPv6? (I could easily be wrong about this). I assume I need to open the HA port on IPv6… though on IPv4, I was previously forwarding a different external port to port 8123 internally… is that still possible with IPv6, or must I change it to just open 8123?

So I moved back to IPv4 temporarily to get this working… But I’d still like to get IPv6 working, as going NAT-less is ideal for gaming. HA is the only thing keeping me on the older network…

If I set the serverhost option in the config then it works locally on IPv6… But duckdns and remote connecting does not work…

Anyone know how to connect remotely through duckdns with IPv6? I have made sure duckdns has my current IPv6 address associated with the proper url. Is there something I have to change it update when switching from IPv4 to IPv6?

Is there a reason HA can’t support BOTH IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time?

Hi did you find a solution ?

Unfortunately, I never did find a definite solution… Though I started playing around with NGINX and I THINK it’s probably the best solution. I haven’t done enough with it to confirm if it actually solves the problem I had above, but I couldn’t ever find a lot of conversation around this topic.

1 Like

I think the problem is within port forwarding
I managed to get duckdns to work but only inside my network if i tried from outside network but no luck
I assume it is something related to ports being blocked on ipv6 either by isp providers or router itself

watching this topic as IPv6 support is becoming more important for many installations. Home networks are going IPv6 only with translation to IPv4 only when needed.

3 Likes

I think there are two issues in this:

• My HA has a “link-local IPv6” address and when I am on the same subnet, I can easily access it via its link local address and its port: http://[fe80::e24:1a85:f536:8b77]:8123
    Note that link local addresses start with fe80:: and those cannot be accessed directly from the internet.
    So I need my HA to obtain the first part of the IP address from my router which got it from my ISP. That is what makes it possible for my ISP to route the packets to me. I do not know if HA get it via a kind of IPv6 DHCP service or what. But my phone and my PC get the correct global IPv6 addresses somehow on top of their local-link addresses.
  • Port-forwarding usually means that you are using NAT which is something that belongs to IPv4: If the port xxx on the router receives a packet then that packet is forwarded to port yyy on device zzz.
    In IPv6, it is simpler because the device has a global IP-address. But you do not want to expose your complete local network to the internet, so the router has a firewall (but no NAT on IPv6). So the firewall has to know that it should let port yyy for device zzz get through. Note that the packet is not for its own port.
1 Like

So… is anyone aware of updates on this topic? A basic search still fails to yield anything for me. Is there basic documentation anywhere for how to run Home Assistant on IPv6? It seems like it should be fairly simple, but since I am not super familiar with networking, I was hoping there would be a guide available.

Nope, but struggling with the same issue as I just have a public IPv6 Address and no more an IPv4 as of today. Which brings me lots of headache right now

Interested in this as well.
I’m with Virgin media IE and they seem to only offer IPv6.
I’ve managed to set up duckdns and certbot certificates (I had to use the dns-01 method, not sure why but I couldn’t make it work with HTTP-01 that everywhere seems to recommend)
Now I can access my HA container install thought https (but not http) when I’m on my network, but when I leave and try to connect externally the connection just times out.
Thinking I will go back to the start and redo each step more carefully because I’m not sure what part is actually causing the issue (either the IPv6 duckdns setup or the SSL certificates).

My connection is only IPV6 and I can see my HA from wherever I’am if i have another IPV6 connection. I have two mobile provider, one give me IPV6 and IPV4 and the other just give me IPV4. With the second provider, IPV4, is impossible to reach my HA but with the fist provider, using IPV6, works perfectly.

Another way that i`m doing here is using VPN in my network, but again, just IPV6 connection can reached my instance.

I just started looking in to this issue, so I may say something stupid, but after some digging, I think the problem for me is that my ISP uses CGNAT on their IPv4 addresses.

I found that on this site:

I am on the exact same situación as you are, have you found any workaround this? I’d like to access HA from any network not just ipv6 networks