Home Assistant Yellow installation

Same here. Order place and paid 17 Sept 2021, no shipping advice yet

1 Like

Fwiw I successfully installed a new Kingston NV2 M.2 500GBS NV2S/500G on the Yellow without any hiccups.

1 Like

Hi ! Mine was commanded on 12 june 2022 and will be received tomorrow.

Hi all,
A question, do you know if it is mandatory to install the ā€œHome assistant OS Installer for yellowā€ ? Or is it possible to install raspbian OS lite on nvme SSD and use ā€œHome assistant Containerā€ via docker ?

My future config received tomorrow :

• pi module 4 with eMMC
  • Yellow Kit power supply
  • SSD nvme M2 Samsung 980 (1TB)

thanks,

Yes - some reports suggest the RPi4 image doesnā€™t work fully on a Yellow as the specific HASS OS image includes additional hardware support (like status LEDs, SkyConnect 802.15.4 radio, NVMe SSD, etc).

Iā€™d go further and say the whole point of getting a Yellow is to run HASS OS as an appliance, although it is really just a CM4 so RPi OS will run (and might be useful for some recovery tasks - more access to the bare metal such as to wipe a CM4 eMMC storage).

My Yellow runs fine with a 250GB Samsung SSD 980 NVMe M.2 ( installed via ā€œMove datadiskā€ for the hass-data partition only). Links to migrations guides are above in this thread.

2 Likes

You donā€™t need to use the installer, but itā€™s certainly better to use the custom Yellow image even though the generic Pi4 image can be made to work. You need to download it manually from GitHub as it is not in the list provided by Raspberry Pi Imager.

The Yellow image has been added to the Raspberry Pi Imager v1.7.3:

• Operating system ā†’ Other specific-purpose OS ā†’ Home assistants and home automation ā†’ Home Assistant ā†’ Home Assistant OS Installed for Yellow

My Linux install shows the latest 2022105 release.

Thatā€™s only the Installer, not the actual OS image.

thank you for your replies, it has worked well for me. The only thing is for the moment, with a raspbian os I cannot use the zigbee module, and the led of my yellow is always red.

The red led is always on when the yellow is powered on, see Home Assistant Yellow Guide (home-assistant.io)

A 1TB SSD is not overkill in my opinion, looking towards the future. My 1TB is already using 20% including all backups. I however do everything with my Home Assistant instance. When there would be over-usage (wear leveling) of the SSD, I still will have 80% room left that can be used to store data unaffected by wear-leveling. Itā€™s also not good to fill a SSD up till the maximum, so that keeps also some room available for when things go haywire (like logs going crazy)

I use a 256GB SSD which is now filled at 2%. I keep to the last 7 days backup on the Yellow locally.
Furthermore, I keep last 31 days backups on my remote NAS just to have offline (remote) backups in case the SSD is failing completely.

Am considering ordering a 1TB SSD and running a Plex server on the HA Yellow. Does anyone have any experience of this?

There are several Yellow users with 1TB M.2 SSD (e.g. Samsung 970EVOPlus), however Iā€™d think carefully about the wider impacts of filling HASS with media.

If you use HASS as a media store, it will include ALL files in backups (and think how long that will take for each release). Others have asked about excluding folders, but Iā€™ve not seen a solution (e.g. exclude /media).

Many releases ago, I added a couple of albums worth of audio as a test of the original media player.
Not long after, restoring a backup failed.
I had to untar the TGZ, manually remote the media files, and re-create the TGZ for the backup to work.

You could create a bash script to process HASS backups and strip out media files automatically, but that needs working space.

Backups are usually small compared to available disk capacity, so working space for restoration is not an issue - until you fill /media up to a significant percentage of your disk.

Hmmm, useful. Thanks.

I wonder about partitioning some of the SSD then, and just pointing the HA Plex Server integration at that partition?

If youā€™re using HASSOS, I doubt thatā€™ll work without a load of effort (and HACS extras to get enough access).

Some folks use bare RPiOS + Supervised, but there may be some issues with Yellow hardware drivers - suggest research is needed.

The media_source: setting exists if you can get a partition mounted somehow.

Seems this is the ā€œMy Yellow isnā€™t workingā€ threadā€¦

I have the Yellow w/ Pi 4 and eMMC, non-PoE (ā€œsorry, only PoE version :(ā€), and no SSD. All it does is stare at me with a mocking red LED. No blinking yellow, no flicker, nothing but solid red.

I tried escalating levels of pressure in seating the CM4 to no avail, and managed not to snap it in half.

I tried installing the OS from a USB key, nope, all red, all day.

Followed Option 2 from the OS reinstall page and saw the green LED along with the RED while it re-imaged. I was hopeful but after unjumping everythingā€¦ stillā€¦ nothing.

I have a M.2 SSD laying around that Iā€™m toying with jamming in there just to collect all the troubleshooting tips but Iā€™m at the end of my troubleshooting.

I have been running HA from an Antsle Nano via Docker and thatā€™s working great but I was pretty stoked on being able to run the OS and having all the fun bits onboard.

Option 2 is definitely the way to go. I could not even get the usb stick thing to work one bit. When you do option 2 and install home assistant yellow from rasp pi boot, make sure to put the jumpers back to the original position. Plug in the Ethernet then plug in the power and wait. Should see yellow blinking and then if you see a solid yellow for a couple seconds thatā€™s good. Then it should start heart beating yellow and doing the installing process. Then the LEDs either shut off or its supposed to be solid red to indicate its done. Once solid red, unplug device form power and Ethernet, then replug Ethernet and power and waitā€¦ see if that works?

Just to be useful to other late-night-impulse-buy folks out there, pay attention to the fact that Yellow supports only NVMe M.2 SSDs.
I just installed a SATA III SSD, it fits, it powers up with a nice blue LEDā€¦ butā€¦

Well, now I have to decide what to do with this 250 GB SATA disk.

ā€¦and order an NVMe oneā€¦

Hi Guys,

I have a WD SN810 NvMe SSD - 512gb, I have plugged this in and installed HAOS but i facing the same issue when i try to move data disk.

I tried formatting the SSD to ExFat and try mounting again but it doesnt seems to detect. Is there anything else needs to be done to detect the SSD?