Home assistant Yellow - no Yellow LED blink, installation problem

Hi,
I got my Home Assistant Yellow PoE kit and I have Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 1GB RAM, Lite with not eMMC on the RPi. I have Lite-On M.2 SSD_M2_2280_128GB that I would like to use to boot and run the Home Assistant.
Iā€™m using the official guide:

In ā€œInstalling Home Assistant Software on Kitā€, step 10 there is:

• Wait for Home Assistant Yellow to start booting from the USB flash drive.
  • During boot, the Yellow LED blinks in a heartbeat pattern.
  • Once the installer is ready, the yellow LED is on constantly.
  • Installation will start automatically after 2 seconds.

But in my case the Yellow LED not blinking (not even once), the red and green is constant on, and nothing more is happening.

I tried 2 different NVMe M.2 SSD drives, and 2 different USB flash drives and still no luck.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong, what else I can do to boot and install HA?

Hi

Same problem here! Weā€™re using a CM4 lite with 2gb of RAM + wireless and a WD green SN350 M.2 2280. The green and red lights are solid on. but no yellow lights, the status led on our USB flash drive isnā€™t working either.

Tried flashing using RPIBOOT but no luck.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Hi Andrzej
Did you get any response or a possible solution for this issue?

I have found the weirdest solution I thought about
I have simply put M.2 into an external enclosure and flashed it with the Raspberry Pi imager
After putting M.2 back into the board it just works

I just skipped the Home Assistant yellow board in the process of installing, just used the M.2 like it was an SD card

Not nice that I had to buy a second M.2 to try out, but I have an enclosure for that :slight_smile:

I had the same problem. What worked for me was to run rpiboot -d secure-boot-msd and then flash the eMMC with HA-yellow
using ā€˜rasperry pi imagerā€™

Iā€™m having the same problem, I bought the Home Assistant Yellow Kit with Power-over-Ethernet, with the compute module and a 512GB NVMe M.2 PCle Gen3x4 2280 Internal SSD. Have assembled it all, flashed a USB drive, when it boots I see no yellow LED, red is on and green flashes intermittently.

Trying to figure out what do to, not quite sure how to get rpiboot working on macOS!

Hello guys I am new to home assistant yellow. Recently bought home assistant yellow poe. I followed installation process from home assistant via usb. Upon powering on the the device, the red is solid on and the yellow is barely flashing/blinking. The green light did not turn on at all. I donā€™t know what to do hopefully you could help me. I power my home assistant yellow poe using a power adaptor and plug in the ethernet cable (not poe). Thanks for your help.

Hello guys, Iā€™m new to Home Assistant as well as this forum. I ran into this issue where I had green and red solid leds, with no yellow led, when installing my Yellow for the first time.

Apparently I had mixed two different installation method: A) First method relies on rpiboot to directly install HA to the CM4 moduleā€™s EMMC storage. This method asks you to change the JP1 dipswitch from UART to USB, so that it can boot from the USB-c port. B) The other method relies on a USB stick that is prepped through Raspberry Pi Imager. It relies on the JP1 dipswitch to be set to UART, because it will boot from the USB-drive.

In my case I started the rpiboot-based install and changed the dipswitch to USB. Then I realized I could not get my Yellow close to my laptop when power using POE. Then I switched to the method that relies on a thumb drive, but did not revert the JP1 dipswitch back to UART. The Yellow then would not boot of the drive, because it was waiting for me to run rpiboot instead.

Kind of confusing, both the USB-c and the USB thumbdrive methods have ā€˜USBā€™ in the name. Therefor itā€™s easy to miss the dipswitch is set to the incorrect method.

After switching back the jumper, it installed rather quickly! Perhaps this write-up can solve this for others who run into this in the future :slight_smile: