Home brew weather station

Hey everybody, first posting here I hope this all finds you well, I was just wondering if there was a greater need for weather station integration, I have made my own and was wondering if you would like me to share how I have made my own, I look forward to your replies and thoughts

Andy

3 Likes

Hi! I have an old Oregon Scientific weather station and wanted to integrate it with HA.
RFXTRX transceiver is pretty pricey… So I personally would like to take a look at your solution.
Thanks in advance!)

I’d be very interested.
Presently have netatmo, not wild about sending the data out to their Servers, to then have to pull it back in via their API.

Trying EVO via HomeKit just now as well.

Share share share.

Good morning thank you for your replies, here is a little more info. I can provide a more detailed tutorial if needs be.

My weather station is based on a Raspberry Pi Zero. And the system currently measures these parameters.

• Wind speed
  • Wind direction
  • Rainfall
  • Air Temperature
  • Relative Humidity
  • Barometric pressure

the following components are
Raspberry pi Zero

ADS1115 - Used fro wind direction measurement

Misol Wind direction sensor
Misol wind speed sensor
Misol rain gauge
Misol radiation shield
BMP280
SHT30

Currently this is measuring sensors every minute and transmits the previous hourly data to a server i have in the cloud using the 3g communications and MQTT, i have adjusted its configuration slightly and removed 3G connectivity and added to my LAN over wifi and currently have it sending data to HA via MQTT every minute.

If there is enough interest i will provide a more detailed step by step guide, pricing, suppliers and all the code to go with it.

Thanks again for your replies so far.

4 Likes

Hi Andy,
I would interested to see how you did that
specially the misol rain gauge

1 Like

Have you looked at the option of a cheap generic R820T tuner and rtl_433?

1 Like

Are the misol wind direction and wind speed sensors based in I2C ? Perhaps via esphome then ?

You will find some info in this post if you want to try with ESPHome:

Also based on Misol hardware

I ain’t exactly a hardware guy, so no, I didn’t. Anyway, thanks - it’s a start at least =)

1 Like

Me neither! I came across it by accident when an old WH station stopped working via USB.

1 Like

I am interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wind speed is measured using interrupts on the raspberry pi, this method is also used for measuring rainfall. Wind direction is done by a voltage measurement using the ADS1115 ADC the voltage measured is relational to the direction.

I’m very interested as well!

I am interested to see your set up and share the code

I am interested.

Someone also made one with ESPHome, all information and code here:

1 Like

Hello Andrew ,

Did you finally made any instructions available for this project?

Thank you

Stavros