Homeassistant on Truenas or Haos on Pi4

Hello all

I am a beginner and I have a few questions. :slight_smile:
I already have a server running truenas scale and I tried the official HA version from the store. All sensors in the house work properly through tuya in Homeassistant, but I can’t add automations. The script is saved in automation.yaml but does not appear in the homeassistant app. The truechart version can’t even be installed…
If I install in VM homeassistant OS, will automation work? Or is it better to install directly on a Pi4? I prefer to use the server with truenas if possible.
For the future I will need to connect rednode to HA to control some sockets and air conditioning (Hisense with connectlife doesn’t have a public api at the moment). I don’t know if the information is relevant. For the future I will need to connect rednode to HA to control certain sockets and air conditioning.
All sensors and relays in the house are with wifi connected via tuya.

Thanks for future advices

Yes, automation will work. And I think you will have a much better experience than the TrueNAS “apps” provide. When you add Node-RED, use the HAOS add-on for best results.

The only issue with this approach might be USB passthrough - I’ve had mixed results trying to pass USB devices directly to the VM. I think using PCI-E passthrough for the entire USB controller is better. This could be the USB controller on your motherboard or a USB PCI card.

If you try HAOS and find the VM doesn’t fit your needs, it’s easy to move over to the Pi4 (or any other device with HAOS) - Make a full backup in HA, install HAOS on a different device, and restore the backup.

Thanks Troy for informations. I will not use any zigbee device (at least for now).
Maybe can you please help with some issues.
I’ve installed according this guideline.

But I get a lot off errors… Also I can log in only with public ip and not under my DNS even with port forwarding activated on router.

Somehow I believe it doesn’t have access to storage or somehow writing permissions.

Error logs here

Update
DNS connection fixed. I don’t know how to fix other errors…:pensive:

Sorry for the delay, @Justme1 - I’ve been away a few days visiting family for the holiday.

I was looking through your logs posted on Mega - and I see the following appears multiple times

could not translate host name "home-assistant-postgres" to address: Name has no usable address

None of the HA “apps” on TrueNAS are “official” Home Assistant (The developers of Home Assistant do not support them) - The official Home Assistant does not use Postgres, and I’m unfamiliar with the “app” versions of HA. Did you import a backup you created while trying the Scale apps?

Can you please explain your permission error? Is there a permission error in Home Assistant, or is it only the spice display you have pictured?

Also, please say what version of TrueNAS Scale you are using, and if you are using an admin account, or are you logged in as the root user?

I have not encountered this error, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to help

1 Like

I’ve created an backup from HA installed on official truenas store, then I’ve deleted from there and install HA in VM. After VM installation I add the backup.
TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1
Always I’m using root user
I’m not sure if is permission error. It was my idea :grin:

Thank you very much.
Have a nice holidays :christmas_tree::santa::tada:

This might cause you problems, but I am not sure. :confused:

For troubleshooting, can you create a second VM of Home Assistant - Do not restore any backup and see if the errors are gone.

I fear the developers on TrueNAS do not understand Home Assistant and have made unnecessary changes and configurations to the “apps” - The changes may not be compatible with the official Home Assistant.

To be clear, I’m just making a guess - The only way to know is by creating another VM and not using the previous backup.

1 Like

Give me a few minutes pls. I will delete the installed and reinstall again

1 Like

No worries - I have to run errands and will be gone for a several hours

1 Like

You’re the best. It turns out that the added backup was the problem. Everything works now. Even automations.

Thanks a lot Troy :beers:

1 Like

I’m sorry, I won’t be able to help with this because I only use remote access through Nabu Casa, and that just works - I don’t need to mess with any certs or SSL.

Also, please post in the forum and not send DM. This will allow others to help.

For the problems of Node-Red, I think you should create a new post with your issue. I don’t think this is an issue related to TrueNAS, so other users can probably help.

Cheers

1 Like

Ok. Sorry
It seems that the option for ssl should be disabled. Maybe someone has the same problems in the future.

1 Like