HomeKit as a Presence Sensor

Could you send a screen shot of the bayesian card for each so I can see the probabilities listed? I get very different behavior then you; so that may help debug.

I only have one Bayesian card. It is set up exactly as listed above. Not sure what youā€™re asking me to send.

If you click on the bayesian sensor on the screenshot you posted above does it pop open a card that shows the probabilities?

Thanks - perfect! Can you do the same for 2 off, 1 on combination? That probability field is what Iā€™m interested in for this combination. Or just post the # it reports; screen shot not required.

In my case itā€™s still 0.99

This is just with the HomeKit Switch On which uses these probabilities

- entity_id: 'input_boolean.me_present'  #HK switch
     prob_given_true: 0.9
     prob_given_false: 0.2
     platform: 'state'
     to_state: 'on'

If you take the time to go into the Jupyter Notebook Viewer for the senor that was posted in the link I posted above (after a bit of playing around to figure out how that works), I was able to plug in probabilities for my sensors and tweak until I got it to work. I did not and probably still dont 100% understand the sensor, but its not just True - false - false, etc. If you have one true and two false items it cannot be more than the one true.

As in itā€™s not possible mathematically to have a .99 with only one true. Again, Iā€™ll say Iā€™m definitely not the expert on this. So maybe its possible if the false values are 0 for the other sensors??

Thanks. Will play around some more.

My assumption is the prob_given_false contributions are whats pushing it to 0.99 ā€“ which is the max.

Yeah, thats how I used to think it works as well, but its not. Itā€™s actually a quite complex (at least to me) statitical math formula. Why donā€™t you post your Bayesian yaml? If both are configured exactly the same, we should get the same results.

I will say that I spent a few hours using the notebook, plugging in numbers to try to grasp how it is really working behind the scenes, and Mine is working as I expected it to work based on the math.

Is it possible to use homekit as presence detection with iphones and raspeberry pi (home assistant installed on it) i donā€™t have any apple tv (i have got an iPad instead)

You can use an ipad as well. Of course have to make sure itā€™s always charged. The process should be exactly the same.

Using it for 2 days, works very well, thanks!

Cool! This is a good idea, and it works very well.
Thanks to ha_steve!

Is there a way to modify the radius of the ā€œhomeā€ zone? I am shifting towards using HA for my tracking instead of Homekit because I can modify how large the zone is. I donā€™t want to have to drive one min from my house before it detects Iā€™m gone.

At the moment its not that reliable any more.

We are all on iOS 12 on both iPad and iPhones.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Iā€™ve been using it I started the post - including through iOS 12 betas and now the release version without issue.

I have set up the HomeKit presence. It works well for me, but not for the wife. Iā€™ve added her to the home app, but her leaving and arriving doesntā€™ trigger the switch. Are there additional settings in iOS needed for this? Location tracking or something Iā€™m missing.

1 Like

On her phone, go into Settings->[Her name]->Share my location->From and make sure it says ā€œThis Deviceā€

When you have multiple devices or upgrade devices, sometimes that setting gets confused or sticks to your old or device.

2 Likes

That fixed it. Thanks

This is great! Iā€™ve been using it for about a day now and seems to be pretty accurate. Quick question - How can I make the input boolean an icon bubble on the top of HAā€™s overview? I would like to appear there when Iā€™m home and not be visible (hidden) when Iā€™m away.

Thanks!