Homekit component (NOT HOMEBRIDGE)

The new homekit component was released in 0.63 or something and got updated in 0.65.
I was able to add the Hass.io as an accessory in the Home app in my iPad when i had 0.63 but not anymore.
Can’t really troubleshoot it either?

My code (that worked in 0.63):

homekit:
pincode: ‘123-45-678’

That should do it right? But when I try to connect it does not show up as it did for me in 0.63.

Open the Home App.
Choose Add Accessory and then Don’t Have a Code or Can’t Scan?.
There you need to click on manual 8-digit code to add before it searches.
In the original official guide it says “The Home Assistant Bridge should be listed there. Select it and follow the instructions to complete setup.” But that seams wrong? Cause there the app don’t even search.

Someone?

Im very new to all this but i felt like i read somewhere that 123-45-678 would not work?

That’s not my actual code.
But it says:

It is not recommended to choose ‘123-45-678’ as your pin code!

I have the same issue. It works for me if I don’t set a pin code but otherwise there seems to be something broken.

Maybe it all solves in 0.66 when the new homekit component is suppose to come. A friend told me that I had to re authenticate to the home-app anyway then.

If full HomeKit integration comes in 0.66 with lights & fans etc I’ll be a very, very happy guy :slight_smile: homebridge for hassio hasn’t worked properly for me in a long time :frowning:

1 Like

This fixed it for me.

I’m a little confused on Homekit Component VS HOMEBRIDGE cause there is a hass.io plug in for HOMEBRIDGE that works just fine is the Homekit Component meant to replace it cause if so the difference in functionality needs to be beefed up for me to move to the Component

For you, the user: if you have a fully functional homebridge implementation working as you like with the hass.io add-on, there is probably no good reason for you to switch yet given the currently limited functionality of the HomeKit component in home Assistant.

The use case for the homekit component right now is probably for those who aren’t running hassio and don’t want to go through the process of setting up and running a homebridge server (which is made easier by the add-on). As we move forward, I expect the homekit component to be the de-facto way to integrate with homekit as it gains full functionality simply because it’s easier to set up: basically two lines in your configuration file and no need to mess around with additional configuration JSON files.

As a one-time contributer the homebridge-homeassistant effort, I’ll say that for developers, the new component is likely a big improvement. I haven’t read the source code, but my understanding is that it’s written in python so we no longer have to maintain this separate JavaScript “homebridge-homeassistant” repository, and can instead work on the integration directly in the HomeAssistant source code, all in the same language. I expect development on the homekit component to outpace the homebridge-homeassistant library that (I think, it’s been awhile) the add-on depends on, which was already fairly slow.

As for the original topic, having just moved from the add-on to the component tonight:
I ran into a similar problem. Upon checking the homeassistant logs, it looked like the port was occupied. Although I had uninstalled the homebridge add-on, it took an additional restart for me before the component could initiate. I also deleted the homebridge directory under config/ as another user suggested, and it’s working flawlessly.

can you explain this in detail? Im to novice.

I had to go to the same directory that the configuration.yaml is located. For me, which is not hass.io, its /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ and then delete this file and restart HA. Hopefully, you will see the homeassitant as a bridge in the homekit app. The dot in the front of this file means its hidden as is the .homeassistant directory.

.homekit.state

If you can ssh into your pi, the remove command is for when you are in the correct directory

rm .homekit.state

or if you know the directory

rm /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/.homekit.state

1 Like