Homekit Infused 5 (HKI) v2023.1.3

Homekit Infused 2022.01.2

Changes:

• Fixed a bug on all themes which would show the default HA menu button instead of the logged in user, time or date.
  • Greatly optimized code for all themes (more optimizations are on the way slated for a Februari release)
  • No other changes!

How to Update?
*NOTE: CREATE A BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING!!!

Make sure you update all the custom cards and addons to their latest versions!
Download the release, then copy and overwrite the following two folders:

• /hki-base/
  • /packages/

Restart Home Assistant!

Hi @jimz011 and all,

Do you know why the icons in the heating popup tab don’t appear?

Thanks for any answer.

It’s something I am still working on. But without success unfortunately, but it will be fixed in the upcoming release. There are a lot of new features coming to HKI in the upcoming release:

• 2 new themes that you can edit through the UI (changes will be displayed instantly), change almost any aspect of how HKI looks and feels (see screenshots below)
  • A revamped header which will replace the settings from the menu, it will also show quick toggles to your profile, reload lovelace and so much more. Oh and it is 30% less high than the old one, which will look much better on smaller devices!
  • The header is now fully customizable and you can change its appearance just like anything else in HKI.

Below are some examples of what will be possible, but the possibilities are too much to show in screenshots. I am very curious to see what people will make with this, and share the themes they made. It will be very easy to export/import themes created by the community so I can’t wait to release it.

NOTE Some screenshots are taken before the new header was created, the new header is shown in the first screenshots.

2 Likes

WOW, looks like great. I very look forward to new release.

Thank you @jimz011 for your hard work :wink:

In other BAD news:

HKI 5 will NOT have a direct upgrade path from HKI 4, even though many things are similar, the way the new code works is just entirely different.
Don’t fret, ALL custom code made with the custom: addon won’t need changes (however code made with custom_cards: will be)

Most addons can be defined in the same way, but will move one level down (this to make the sorting and multiple addons on the same view possible)
I will strongly suggest when HKI 5 comes out to do a fresh install and migrate everything slowly, HKI 5 WILL be video documented as well as getting an updated documentation

I did feel the need to mention it. Note that it wont be released soon and might be half/end of March or April. So you have almost 2 months left to sort whatever code you want to migrate to HKI 5. Also as mentioned before I hope to support HKI 5 for at least 2 years which I think is pretty reasonable (especially if you know that you MUST start fresh). But hey HKI 5 took months to build so you sure as hell may rebuild your own personal setup :joy: .

HKI 4 will no longer receive updates once HKI 5 is released (HKI 4 will get one last hotfix update at the end of this week).

The good news then? TOO MUCH TO MENTION

• Fully customizable themes (I don’t think any dashboard has done this before), there are over 50 new settings to choose from WOW
  • Fully customizable profile page (create your own profile page and have it shown per user)
  • A completely revamped header with an actual layout (instead of the bunch of empty cards I crammed in the old one)
  • Find quicktoggles like settings much faster and will be available quickly via the profile page (this is accessible on every view)
  • ALL layout options will become available to use and it can be used with ALL addons
  • All addons can have their order changed by… well changing the order
  • Addons can be placed in a grid (if combined with the layout-addon)
  • Addons can be defined AS MANY TIMES as you want on a view, this means you can place cards wherever you please and wherever you need them
  • Quickly change any custom card into a HKI styled one by adding just a single line to its code!
  • Re-use HKI button templates and set your own tap_action/hold_action on any button that supports it, yes this will also work in many addons!
  • and SO SO much more!
1 Like

Oh and here is another screenshot from HKI 5, what you see here is the new profile page.

2 Likes

Hi Jim,

You mentioned that the docs would be updated to show how to run it in a second dashboard, but also mentioned that the default view is a second lovelace dashboard. That’s a little confusing for me because I want to try it out but I’m afraid to lose my current dashboard. Can you point me to where the docs explain this better?

Thanks in advance, excited to try it out!

If you run the default dashboard or if you dont have another dashboard named Homekit Infused you should be fine. You will not lose any data. Reversing the process is also relatively easy.

Just delete the folders you have installed and it should revert everything.

1 Like

Everyone using HKI and has thermostats.

You can now download the updated thermostat card, it will fix the icons at the bottom.

You can install it by doing the following:

1. Uninstall the current thermostat-popup-card in HACS
  2. Click on the three dots at the top right corner of HACS
  3. Remove the thermostat-popup-card repository
  4. Add a new repository: https://github.com/jimz011/thermostat-popup-card as lovelace
  5. Install this card in HACS
  6. Done, your thermostats should now show icons again!

Is there an install Video for HKI? I have followed the documentation on the site but i just have errors all over the place.

Unfortunately no there is not. I am building HKI 5 now, and it will be released with videos. Will take a few more weeks though.

Ok thanks. Do you know how version 5 will handle camera views? I am looking for something like this but with 6 squares all the same size.

This is already possible when using the custom addon and setting the view_layout to advanced.

I might as well add it to the documentation when I release it.

I really want to use the HKI but i see there is no direct upgrade path. i dont want to learn and set something up to then have to undo it all. I will wait for version 5.

Its not much different, but you would do good by waiting as HKI 5 will be so much better.

And with the current pace of development, it might come sooner than within 2 months.

Not sure if HKI5 fixes this issue, but one thing thats driving me nuts on HA as a general is not having the ability to dynamical resize cards. or even just the ability to resize at all.

Hi, want to start with HKI. Does it make sense to start now with HKI 4 or better wait for HKI 5?

Id say wait for hki 5, but… hki 4 is not that much different.
I know there is no direct upgrade path from v4 to v5, but migrating shouldnt be too hard. Using v4 will get you familiarised with HKI as HKI 5 works in the exact same way just with very slight differences. On the other hand, installing at least the first part of the instructions (HACS and appropriate addons) will get you half way installing HKI 4 or 5. This will not affect your current setup (installing HKI 4 or 5 is also a separate dashboard so it wont touch your already configured dashboard.

Uninstalling is as simple as removing the 3 folders that come with HKI (and 1 line in configuration.yaml)

Dynamic resizing only works nicely on panel views. HKI is entirely built on panel views. It also has the layout-card baked in as an addon. HKI 5 has all layout card options available like grids, but also mediaquery is possible. So yes you should be able to create a nice dashboard with HKI 5.

Also HKI has no limitations regarding cards, you can use any card you want even ones not included as a HKI addon by using the ‘custom:’ or ‘custom_legacy:’ addon. If you for example love the just released mushroom cards, you can use them in HKI.

Giving a custom card the HKI style, colors, fonts etc. All you would need to do is to add the hki class to your custom card.

- type: markdown
  card_mod:
    class: hki
  content: Hello World

I will also post videos prior to the release, with installation and configuration instructions in addition to the ofc very detailed documentation HKI already has.

Stay tuned! A few more weeks. Though I aim for an early March release.

Hey Jim,
been a while since I checked your stuff, and it seems to be growing still, cool.!

exploring the options for class in card-mod-theme, I noticed your post above, and tried to find that in you repo, but couldn’t find that in your themes folder. Could you please point me to the spot where you declare that class in card-mod-theme settings so I can have a look? thanks!