Homekit/iPhone Multi-user Presence Detection Using Homebridge

@Sunonline that’s my issue. I can’t see the TV / media_player in my customize file. Can I add it manually? I’ve posted my customize file above

for customize.yaml / every entity_id inside this file are add manually.
that is why I ask for entity_id of your media_player on earlier comment.

@Sunonline I see. I thought entities in customize file are automatically added.

I added the below line to customize file. It’s not showing in Home Kit. I restarted home assistant

media_player.living_room_tv:
  homebridge_visible: true
  homebridge_name: Living room TV

Don’t forget to restart HA.

customize:
    homebridge_hidden: false
    homebridge_name: Living room TV

Thanks @Sunonline I made the changes and restarted HA, but I still can’t see the TV in Home Kit. Do I need do to anything else?

after restart you HA. then also restart your homebridge. Once restart homebridge you would probably see the the media_player load in log.

In you Homekit. If no new device found. Try add accessories, to let homekit find more device that have been just added.

@Sunonline still no luck. I can see that it picked up the media_player / TV in the log.

I restarted HA, then restarted HomeBridge, then tried to add accessory using the code. Nothing worked.

Is there a cache file somewhere I need to delete

I suggest you expose the default_visbility from config.json to see if all devices can load to your homekit.
From homekit, you can remove the devices you doesn’t want. Then you can customize in HA.

That’s what I started with and it worked, I was able to see everything in HomeKit. Looks like this is my last option. Thanks again for all your help

Double check the entity_id if you put wrong entity_id it won’t show up in Homekit

What about the homebridge viability option? I use the below instead, and this one is showing

sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_temperature:
  friendly_name: Temperature

then you homebridge_visible: if you set this and it show up in homekit.
Also I never use homebridge_name: I use friendly_name: the name I want

@Sunonline it worked. I used the below, restarted HA, then restarted HomeBridge and it automatically showed up in HomeKit. The only types available for this entity in HomeKit is Switch, Light and Fan. Choosing any of them doesn’t turn on/off TV. Maybe my TV is not supported, it’s LG with WebOS 3.0

friendly_name: Living room TV

Oh!! are you using the new platform of HA ?

my customize is from the post above. I use homebridge so the setting in customize is different.

I’m on Hassio 0.59.2 there is an update available but to be honest I’m too nervous to update and break it. I had to rebuild a few times

I understand your nervousness. I recommend doing a live backup of the SD card using the instructions found below. I can vouch that it works well and allows you to just swap cards if the upgrade fails.

1 Like

@jarrah perfect! thanks for that I’ll give it a go.

Hi everyone - new here and testing the waters with Hass.io. I’ve been researching the best presence techniques and came across this thread. My understanding is that HomeKit set-up has changed in recent versions of Hass.io. I’ve successfully enabled the HomeKit: component in my set-up but I’m wondering - are the rest of the instructions still accurate or do they need to be updated to account for this new HomeKit: component? Feeling like a total noob, so apologies in advance if this is dumb. Thanks!

I haven’t moved my HomeKit configuration from Homebridge to HA yet. But I think everything should work the same. As long you can see the input_boolean in the Home app, and set up an automation to flip it on and off, then it should work exactly the same.

1 Like

Thanks - your explanation just made it “click” for me. I’ve got it up and going now!