Homekit new options TV Source

Yep. While in remote.app there was no trace of it, in control center I did find it. Note that I’m using HA to expose a media player to HomeKit because I wanted to be able to control the playback audio volume of my OVR from my Apple Watch. I really don’t care about the rest of the controls because it definitely is not a TV set anyway.
To your question: in does appear in Control Center yes.
To my use case: this is useless because the watch does not care about the fact that the AVR is now appearing in control center :unamused:

Thanks for your answer, let’s hope this will be possible in the future and both remotes show the same entities.

BTW: What does OVR stand for?

My bad. I intended to say AVR. Apologies for that :frowning:

1 Like

okay this topic confused me a little…
so far i understand the source selector is working but volume not…

does anyone have a working copy for harmony hub (dont need explanation, just the config)
edit: from my understanding i have to create a universal player and that should work in Homekit?

@luxus It makes for some heavy reading!

Creating a universal media and following @anthonygillet’s code further up in the thread will get it working. Feel free to message me if you are having trouble setting it up.

Once setup correctly working you will have a TV device displaying in the Apple Homekit app, representing your Harmony Hub. It includes and on/off button and source selection:

The homekit integration will also expose the media player in the remote app (accessed from iOS, ipadOS control centre):

Though I am unsure how we can specify what the arrows, centre button, play/pause button, back button and info button can do. If anyone does know I’m interested if there is a way.

Update It looks like the guys working on the Homekit integration are discussing this issue of the iOS remote widget controls, and I think a method is on the horizon.

strangely, i have set up two universal media players for two different televisions, they both show up in homekit and can be turned on and off, but only one of them shows in the control center remote control app.

@snicker I have exactly the same issue. May be worth reporting this as an issue in Github

This is a known limitation. There can only be one television per HomeKit bridge. There has been some groundwork laid that enables multiple bridges inside of HomeAssistant via config flow, but I haven’t been able to test it out yet.

1 Like

It’s documented in HomeKit integration

back on this topic.
looks like there is some progress.
I freshly installed installed home-assistant and was impressed that harmonyhub got easily installed, more impressed was I when I activated HomeKit and see that source selecting work out of the box.
but I notice that the D-Pad didn’t work … is this intended? I could maybe link the volume buttons manually to my receiver… but how do I link the left, right, top, left and ok buttons to it and change it dynamically per activity.

We don’t have support for mapping remote buttons yet…

@bdraco Does this imply that it is something currently being investigated/worked on?

It is on my backlog, but it is not near the top.

1 Like

Backlog is better than completely off the radar. I’ll take it! I’m just reeeaaally hoping to ditch Homebridge. The Harmony plugin is the last one I am using.

@bdraco Just wondering if this is something that is still in your backlog?

The scope of this is bit larger than I had hoped. It needs an architecture change in Home Assistant itself to be workable.

Thank you for the update. I guess I’m stuck with Homebridge :-1:

Is this maybe what you are looking for. In my case I’ve used RestApi integration instead of pure adb commands to control my android tv. But remapping of remote widget buttons works. Using this as a reference to pint you to the right direction.

Not sure if there was a change since November, but you can at least react on events bwhen the buttons are pressed.
I just tested it, the events are showing up in the developer tools.

Regarding my last post: I just implemented a few actions based on the currently running Harmony activity.
Works perfectly and is already very helpful.

But pressing the volumes buttons on the iPhone while in the remote app doesn’t send any events.
Do you think that would be possible?

I know it can be done using Homebridge, but not sure which components of HA (Harmony, Homekit, …) needs to be touched for that.