Honeywell CH/DHW via RF - evohome, sundial, hometronics, chronotherm

At this moment i’m using Domoticz to control my evohome system through a HGI80.

In domoticz it is possible to use a (non honeywell) temperature sensor to display the outside temperature in the evotouch controller. It is also possible to connect extra BDR91 to Domoticz and control them trough the HGI 80 which are not configured to a evotouch zone.

I use this to switch on the floor-heating pump as soon as the HR92 is opening the radiator valve.

I also use domoticz to change the setpoint tot he minimum as long as the window is opened.

Is this possible with the evohome/HGI80 implementation on Home Assistent.

My evohome configuration:

Zone 1: Floorheating LivingRoom

evotouch ( colour without WIFI )

HCF82 ( Temperature sensor )

Zone 2: Radiator Bedroom 1

HR92

Honeywell Round Termostat

Zone 3: Radiator Bedroom 2

HR92

DTS92

Zone 4: Radiator Bedroom 3

HR92

DTS92

Zone 5: Floorheating Bathroom

HR92

DTS92

Zone 6: Radiator Attic room 1

HR92

Zone 7: Radiator Attic room 1

HR92

Zone 8: Floorheating Barn

HR92

DTS92

For the zones 1,5 and 8 i use an extra BDR91 to switch on the floorheating pump.

In time, evohome_rf will be able to do everything that Domoticz can.

Presently, it cannot do the two things you request:

• use a (non honeywell) temperature sensor to display the outside temperature in the evotouch controller
  • connect extra BDR91 … and control them through the HGI 80 which are not configured to a evotouch zone

The second is on the roadmap, the first maybe, maybe not - it only applies to older evohome controllers.

Domoticz has given a several year head-start on me, I’m afraid - I’m catching up!

Finally, evohome_rf can do many things that Domoticz presently cannot do - site surveys, schedules, fault logs, extra system modes, etc.

The main advantage of evohome_rf is that it will integrate with HA, and that opens up a vast range of possibilities that Domoticz cannot support, including (I’d say), work-arounds for teh two features you describe above.

1 Like

Can everyone with a nanoCUL dongle running evofw3 upgrade to this firmware, which can now Tx as well as Rx:

There are some amazing people who have made this firmware happen, and we should be very grateful - HGI80s are difficult to get a hold of!

1 Like

@zxdavb Thanks for your answer.
I keep a close eye on this thread to see the progress. And when the second is implemented i will start with Home Assitant. Thanks for the good work so far.

future versions of evofw3 may require hardware slightly more powerful than a nanoCUL.

Which hardware would that be? Maybe I can buy that right now to avoid replacing HW in the future?

I was premature. That is, all (very recent) current evidence is now that the nanoCUL is sufficient. There is no specific recommendation at this stage for a more ‘powerful’ platform, nor any expectation that one is now required.

All thanks to my firmware colleagues!

I must warn you that very few people are using a nanoCUL in r/w (Tx) mode… this is bleeding edge… You can hope, even expect, but not be guaranteed that things to remain as they are.

Many thanks for your reply.
I’m just a simple home assistant user :slight_smile:
I understand that this integration is the future of the evohome integration in home assistant (right now all my zones are constantly indicating that they are heating, making my history graphs completely unreadable). I tried to find an HGI80 but the only one I could find was on ebay for €300.

So using my amazing powers of deduction I should reckon that the majority of evohome users will move to this exact nanoCUL dongle in the future, right?
I’d like to stay mainstream and not end up in some niche user group in the future (although I understand you can’t give any garantuees at this point).

I wrote the existing evohome integration, which is based upon the vendor’s RESTful API - that integration shoudl/will remain, even when this integration becomes ‘official’

HA is actually saying that the systems are in HEAT mode - this is not the same as actively ‘calling for heat’ - they could be in heat mode, but the setpoint is below the current temperature…

The RESTful API cant provide this information (the call for heat) - there is no real solution, short of making an educated guess. evhome_rf will provide this information, but there are two separate aspects: a) a zone is calling for heat, and b) the system as a whole is being provided with heat

You are really asking 2 questions, so I wil give 2 answers:

1. Yes (those without a HGI80): the nanoCUL is currently the only viable platform for evofw3 - there are no longer any plans to change this (they are approx EUR 25)

2. these two integrations, evohome and evohome_rf have significant overlap, but each does something the other cannot - some people will settle for one or the other, some will want both

BTW, this integration will support many Honeywell-compatible systems, not just evohome. For example, the Sundial systems, and a lot of stuff from as far back as 20y ago!

Thank you for the clear explanation. 25 euros isn’t much so I’ll get one and jump on the band wagon :slight_smile:

Make sure you get the right one - 868 Mhz, not 433 MHz - others may advise you further

I am about to drop a beta of v2 of the HA integration. Can people tell me what the current system does, that they expect to be still available?

1 Like

Mine reports temperature of the zone and when the trv requests heat, and battery level. It doesn’t correctly associate zones for everything yet, which is what I’m waiting for to really start using it. Other than that, I would ideally like it also to see the devices we worked on from my log.

I’ve just installed this - thanks for the hard work.

I current see the FC sensor and a sensor for each of my TRV’s.

What’s the best way to see when the boiler is fired, currently I use a custom sensor attached to my boiler burner, it would be great to compare this with the evohome information!

Remind me - the FC sensor is for heat demand, a percentage? (you could argue I should know, but hey-ho)

The next version of evohome has dropped domains (FA, FC, etc.), although this information is available in a related form

The next version has added binary sensors for state of each relay- this will tell you when a call for heat is being made to the relay attached to the heat source (usually a boiler?).

Note: This project is nearing a drop, but things on hold while I squeeze out a small/lucrative programming job.

OK, who would like to try the next version of this integration?

Follow the instructions in the repo’s wiki.

Note that you will lose the connection between your evohome RF entities and their corresponding history of state, unless you’re prepared to hack your entity registry in:

.storage/core.entity_registry

… by changing the old unique IDs to the new ones. Or maybe just the entity IDs?

FWIW, that problem shouldn’t happen again - the entities have ‘permanent’ unique IDs now.

Feel free to edit the wiki if you have anything to add fro the benefit of others.

1 Like

Soon!! I just bought a new server as I am having to migrate from Ubuntu to Debian to stay in line with the new platform standards and am busy setting it up as I type. Once that’s all working, will be happy to give it a go.

For anyone using/testing the next version of this software - there are currently a lot of commits per unit time - please make sure you pull often.

Also, I cannot help anyone without logs.

Hi there,

I just discovered this thread and the nice work that has been done.
I don’t know much about Honeywell evohome system but from what I understood from this thread the nanocul device use 868Mhz band and can discuss with older Honeywell RF relays.
I’m currently renting a house and don’t want to change the existing setup which is based on a BDR91 unit and an ugly CSM927 panel.
Can I expect to be able to control the BDR91 unit directly in the future?
Thanks again for all the good work

Yes - you will have to keep the CM927 turned off, or at least disconnect the relay from the cm927, but with HA, this system will easily replace the cm927.