Honeywell CH/DHW via RF - evohome, sundial, hometronics, chronotherm

Interesting I wonder what their FW version is. Mine says

HCM200d P4 V7.10  UK
14.Sep.2007 12:00
433 V 13    868 V A1
Device No. 01-020766

I put in a quick hack to replace

with
       cmd = Command.set_zone_setpoint(self._ctl.id, self.idx, setpoint)

and I can change the zone setpoint.

I wonder if itā€™s because advanced_override is not being supported, rather than W/2349 not being supported?

@setpoint.setter
    def setpoint(self, value) -> None:
        """Set the target temperature, until the next scheduled setpoint."""
        if value is None:
            self.reset_mode()
        else:
            self.set_override(mode="advanced_override", setpoint=value)

I could change the above to:

@setpoint.setter
    def setpoint(self, value) -> None:
        """Set the target temperature, until the next scheduled setpoint."""
        if value is None:
            self.reset_mode()
        else:
            self._gwy.send_cmd(Command.set_zone_setpoint(self._ctl.id, self.idx, value))

Yeah - try changing it in setpoint(self, value) instead of in set_override().

Just swap:

self.set_override(mode="advanced_override", setpoint=value)

with:

self._gwy.send_cmd(Command.set_zone_setpoint(self._ctl.id, self.idx, value))

Thatā€™s worked as well

@zxdavb, was there any change in how are devices assigned to zones? All my devices are showing up as orphans and climate cards donā€™t indicate heat demand (used to say ā€œHeatingā€ on it and had the shading). even though I can see massages being received.

This used to work on 0.4.3.

Not really - do you have old/new log fro me to look at?

Anyway, you use Hometronics (right?), and discovery is not supported by that platform, as far as I know - youā€™ll have to use a full schema, I thinkā€¦

Youā€™ll see a schema in your HA log after 24h of eavesdropping - what does it look like - PM me - and Iā€™ll have you test the schema functionalityā€¦

So, version 0.5.12 of evohome_cc just pushed - lots of fixes, and a significant improvement to DHW - bug reports are welcome.

The recommended version of evofw3 is version v0.6.14 or later.

Before anyone asks - evohome DHW does not have a concept of away mode- this is a feature of the controller, and DHW ā€˜inheritsā€™ away mode from it.

1 Like

I would like thoughts of the operation modes:

• auto -> follow_schedule (active is True/False as per schedule)
  • off -> permanent_override, and active=False
  • on -> permanent_override, and active=True
  • boost -> temporary_override, active=True, until = 1 hour from now
2 Likes

Great! I would also add ā€œecoā€. All rooms 3 degrees lower.

Please :wink:

Eco will come - the above only applies to DHW. The only evohome mode that applies to DHW is Away.

Loving the update. Getting this error appearing in the logsā€¦

062 RQ --- 01:210309 10:022270 --:------ 3EF0 001 00 < AttributeError
Unhandled error in exception handler context: {'message': 'Exception in callback SerialTransport._read_ready()', 'exception': AttributeError("'OtbGateway' object has no attribute 'ctl'"), 'handle': <Handle SerialTransport._read_ready()>}

alongside a large number of these (78 within a minute, 4500 over a few days) still appearing:

* PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|13:045348|0008|00): boff=2, want=RQ|13:045348|0008|00, tout=2021-03-04 21:25:44.176116: RE-SENT (2/2)
* PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|13:045348|0008|00): boff=2, want=RP|13:045348|0008|00, tout=2021-03-04 21:25:44.802077: EXPIRED
* PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|13:045348|3EF1|00): boff=1, want=RQ|13:045348|3EF1|00, tout=2021-03-04 21:25:45.133262: RE-SENT (1/2)
* PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|13:045348|3EF1|00): boff=2, want=RQ|13:045348|3EF1|00, tout=2021-03-04 21:25:45.662204: RE-SENT (2/2)
* PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|13:045348|3EF1|00): boff=2, want=RP|13:045348|3EF1|00, tout=2021-03-04 21:25:46.287811: EXPIRED

Thanks for this - a genuine bug - I donā€™t yet have a OpenTherm Gateway to dev/text against - anyone who wants to donate one, please do.

I believe I have fixed this bug - will be pushed out presently.

2021-03-04 21:48:46 WARNING (MainThread) [evohome_rf.transport] PktProtocolQos.send_data(RQ|01:145038|0004|01): boff=1, want=RQ|01:145038|0004|01, tout=2021-03-04 21:48:46.384493: RE-SENT (1/2)

The are not ERRORs, they are WARNINGs. They can be disabled in configuration.yaml

logger:
  logs:
    evohome_rf.transport: error

In future, I will make the INFOs and they will not show up by default.

I have an opentherm gateway, how do i use it with your custom component

Trying the new version on my test setup (nanocul) and got the following stack trace:

2021-03-05 07:18:31 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unhandled error in exception handler
context: {'message': 'Exception in callback SerialTransport._read_ready()', 'exception': AttributeError("'OtbGateway' object has no attribute 'ctl'"), 'handle': <Handle SerialTransport._read_ready()>}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1744, in call_exception_handler
    self._exception_handler(self, context)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 129, in handle_exception
    raise exc
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/events.py", line 81, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/serial_asyncio/__init__.py", line 119, in _read_ready
    self._protocol.data_received(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/transport.py", line 409, in data_received
    self._data_received(*create_pkt(line))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/transport.py", line 664, in _data_received
    self._callback(pkt)  # only wanted PKTs up to the MSG transport's handler
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 171, in _pkt_receiver
    [p.data_received(msg) for p in self._protocols]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 171, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 402, in data_received
    self._callback(msg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/message.py", line 575, in process_msg
    create_devices(msg)  # from pkt header & from msg payload (e.g. 000C)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/message.py", line 391, in create_devices
    this._gwy._get_device(this.dst, ctl_addr=this.src)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 230, in _get_device
    device = create_device(dev_addr, ctl=ctl, domain_id=domain_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 211, in create_device
    device._discover()  # discover_flag=DISCOVER_ALL)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/devices.py", line 745, in _discover
    self._send_cmd(Command.get_opentherm_msg(self.ctl.id, msg_id))
AttributeError: 'OtbGateway' object has no attribute 'ctl'

The odd thing is, Iā€™ve upgrade to the latest version but everything stays on unavailable, if all goes well with previous version everything was detected within 5 minutes. After 30 minutes it stull unavailable.

Am using your latest service_calls branch, with the dhw enhancements, with a nanoCUL - actually seems a bit snappier for me in general detection.

However, I didnā€™t have much luck with the latest evofw3 (0.6.14) firmware, with or without the baud changes, Iā€™m still running the calibrate branch - and I have to tune the frequency ā€˜in placeā€™ at my HA box.

Loving this - changing the Target temperature changes it in the settings on the controller, wonderful!

Although it does mean my other-half is likely going to have it on has high as it can go (bl%$dy Australian)ā€¦ but then I can script it to change it back again :wink:

This bug: AttributeError: 'OtbGateway' object has no attribute 'ctl', has been addressed - I am waiting for any more fixes before I push a news version.

Without a HA log/packet log pair, I cannot help you further.

Iā€™m currently trying the autotune with evofw3 0.6.14. Hope that helpsā€¦

it seems like the autotune crashed my HGI80, restarting HA with HGI80 fixed it

evohome_cc v0.5.13 will now do this:

2021-03-05 10:19:08 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.evohome_cc] Unable to open the serial port. Message is: [Errno 5] could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/dev/ttyUSB0'

Before, if is was Unable to open the serial port, it would fail silently.

version 0.5.13 released:

• OTB should be working now (limited support - this is the base for making it a 1st-class citizen)
  • logs error if issue with serial port

Did a rebase of the service_calls and testing it, results in:

2021-03-05 11:44:36 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Unhandled error in exception handler
context: {'message': 'Exception in callback SerialTransport._read_ready()', 'exception': ValueError('Invalid parameter values for command: RQ --- 18:000730 10:040239 --:------ RQ --- 18:000730 01:223036 --:------ 3220 005 00807C0000 001 00'), 'handle': <Handle SerialTransport._read_ready()>}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1744, in call_exception_handler
    self._exception_handler(self, context)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 129, in handle_exception
    raise exc
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/events.py", line 81, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/serial_asyncio/__init__.py", line 119, in _read_ready
    self._protocol.data_received(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/transport.py", line 409, in data_received
    self._data_received(*create_pkt(line))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/transport.py", line 664, in _data_received
    self._callback(pkt)  # only wanted PKTs up to the MSG transport's handler
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 171, in _pkt_receiver
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 171, in <listcomp>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/protocol.py", line 402, in data_received
    self._callback(msg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/message.py", line 575, in process_msg
    create_devices(msg)  # from pkt header & from msg payload (e.g. 000C)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/message.py", line 391, in create_devices
    this._gwy._get_device(this.dst, ctl_addr=this.src)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 230, in _get_device
    device = create_device(dev_addr, ctl=ctl, domain_id=domain_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/__init__.py", line 211, in create_device
    device._discover()  # discover_flag=DISCOVER_ALL)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/devices.py", line 745, in _discover
    self._send_cmd(Command.get_opentherm_msg(self._ctl.id, msg_id))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/devices.py", line 192, in _send_cmd
    super()._send_cmd(code, dest, payload, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/devices.py", line 87, in _send_cmd
    Command(kwargs.pop("verb", "RQ"), dest, code, payload, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/evohome_rf/command.py", line 125, in __init__
    raise ValueError(f"Invalid parameter values for command: {self}")