Honeywell TCC Outages (US)

Apparently the US Honeywell “Total Connect Comfort” service is having issues. DownDetector reports this has been happening since yesterday (13 March).

Obviously this impacts not only the Honeywell TCC app and web site, but also the HA integration.

Just figured I’d post this here and maybe save other HA users some troubleshooting time.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom. I know you and I are avid Honeywell thermostat fans. I wish the TCC service and HA integration were as good as the Honeywell hardware.

Thanks for the kind words Mark. Not sure I’m an avid fan, but I agree the hardware is pretty good. With the current price of fuel, it’s nice to be able to manually adjust the thermostats even when the remote capability is off line. And if I weren’t home, the thermostats would continue to run their pre-programmed schedule.

Although I’d prefer a totally local solution, there’s enough redundancy that I’ve made my peace with this solution.

I’ve been considering dropping my Honeywell altogether with the hopes of finding a solid ZigBee local solution that I can fully manage with HA. However, maybe I’m being too hasty, with the fact that the thermostat has a full local schedule and, so long as the internet service is up, I can probably still manage the thermostat well enough through HA I should just stick with what I have?

I’m a big fan of local control, but for thermostats I’m starting to appreciate the redundancy the Honeywell solution gives me. As you say, if the internet connection fails the thermostat still runs the built-in schedule. If HA is down I still have the Honeywell app and web site. And if I’m home I can always (gasp!) walk over to the thermostat and adjust it manually.

If I were buying new thermostats, I’d be looking for a Zigbee device with a built-in schedule, which would accomplish much of the same things.

1 Like

I agree with @CaptTom but I would still buy Honeywell thermostats because I value their features, quality, and reliability. HA integration and remote access to my thermostats, and other devices, is a nice feature and a minor annoyance when not working but the devices will still do their job.

@timnolte not sure what you mean by “fully manage with HA” but I have designed my “critical” home control functions (HVAC, alarm systems, etc.) to work without HA, internet, or in some cases, mains power.

@MaxK I’ve been having some problems trying to figure out what actually works, from an automation standpoint, in Home Assistant with my model of Honeywell thermostat. For example the Honeywell Integration appears to have an Away preset mode but trying to use that with my thermostat doesn’t appear to work. It also appears that Honeywell has very tight rate limiting that causes a lot of problems when I’m trying to test out automations.

In the end it would be cool to have a thermostat that has all of the programmable features that can be managed manually from the device, and then all of those same options able to be managed from Home Assistant locally without a cloud service. I have my “pie in the sky” wishlist of what a perfect solution would look like, but I know that I’m just going to have to work out an end result that works for me, and the wife. :wink:

@timnolte It’s been an ongoing effort to “invest” in devices that have long-term (+10 years) life AND good HA community support. I was an early adopter of Insteon, ISY994, etc (before HA existed) and happy to see this community provide integration support but I started replacing my Insteon stuff when the devices started to fail and it seemed Insteon was coming to its end-of-life. Insteon appears to be going away now but the community is still supporting it. :+1:

Honeywell thermostats have been around forever, appear to be a long-term device, and have never given me any problems (I have never had to replace one that failed) but the HA Honeywell Integration support has been lacking. And I’m not a fan of Resideo/Honeywell cloud service/API.

I too would love to have what you are looking for but also include long-term hardware and HA support. Let me know if you find it.

P.S. There are some great discussions about this under other topics like Zigbee vs Z-Wave vs WiFi

@timnolte and @MaxK, I like your wish list, that’s pretty much my ideal, too.

I think the reason we don’t (and probably won’t) see a solution which ticks all the boxes is that the manufacturer has no incentive to support local control. If they’re going to be on the hook to support these devices (as a top-rated supplier should) then they don’t want a bunch of amateurs setting up local connections. They want everything to go through their servers, which they have control over.

There’s also the security aspect. If it’s easy for HA to integrate locally, that makes it easier for a bad actor to find a weakness to exploit. I’m not saying local control can’t be secured, but it’s a development and support investment the manufacturer has no reason to make.

I should add, HA is great but it’s far from a mature product. Every release introduces new bugs and breaking changes, along with all the good stuff. Much as I hate cloud solutions, I take some comfort in knowing that if HA dies, I can still remotely keep my pipes from freezing using the Honeywell app.

1 Like