How add community addons to homeassistant

Well you ‘guess’ wrong. If you want to use the hass.io add-ons you have to use hass.io

There may be equivalents under Raspbian but these won’t be installed as an add-on.

Just install whatever software you want to run via apt like a normal person :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course, but that won’t integrate it into my homeassistant :slight_smile:

But okay, and thank you, I have completely misunderstood. I thought hass.io was a package that let the user avoid having to install and configure before getting started. Having all necessary packages pre-installed etc. In other words, you should be able to replicate hass.io manually on a raspbian.

It is. Also called an “appliance”.

Sure you can. But not without some work.

Add-ons are nothing more than docker containers running alongside home assistant.

Pick an add-on you want to run.

You can manually install and configure that app so that it integrates with home assistant. In the end it will look (from the home assistant front end perspective) like it’s just hassio.

Thanks man. I don’t mind the work, but a short guide on moving forth with it would be nice :slight_smile:

A guide on what exactly?

What add-ons are you wanting? There is no guide because they are simply apps you would install based on your OS of choice…it has nothing to do with home assistant and there is no way to provide a guide because of the multitude of possibilities and configurations.

Pick an add-on. Figure out what you need in order to achieve the same thing in a manual install. Rinse. Repeat.

You can install hassio on raspbian. Then you can use the addons.

I know I am very late to this discussion, but I am running into the same issue. I dont want to install hass.io as I want the pi do to other things as well. But I do want to use deconz, which I want to run on another pi. All information you find basically says “install hass.io”. There does not seem to be a lot of information about how to do it when you run it in a virtualenv environment.

I am sorry, I think it has everything to do with home assistant. Of course, running sudo apt install whatever will install the wanted functionality on your raspberry, but how to get home assistant (not hass.io) to see the installed whatever and to the right thing.

I guess you’ve missed this while studying the docs :wink:

No, I have not missed that page, and I have used that page to get homeassistant up and running. No problems with that page. It is the following up after that page that is the thing.

Once you have the base homeassistant running, how to get it to talk to those apps (like deconz) to talk to this base homeassistant?

I’m sorry I don’t understand. It’s literally the exact same thing. In hassio it points to a “hostname” of a docker container. In non-hassio you point it to localhost, using the correct port.

You’re assuming hassio is some magical solution…it’s not. It merely has some predetermined settings.

Maybe I don’t understand your question(s) but also this is in the docs.

Hey @ronsmits I use dockers to create services as addons, after i associate it service endpoint with iframe.
No magic anymore.
Later in Home Assistant (hass.io has a lack of documentation about how to integrate addons in non hass.io environment) configuration.yaml

panel_iframe:
  grafana:
    title: Grafana
    icon: mdi:chart-timeline
    url: http://addres.to.your.service:3000
2 Likes

I was also really confused on this point, as are many people it seems. I would respectfully suggest that the distinction could be clearer.

If I understand it right, Home Assistant is also referred to as HASSIO, and installs as a image on your raspberry pi (or whatever hardware), meaning your hardware cannot be used for other things.

Home Assistant Core on the other hand is installed via commandline into an existing Raspbian (or whatever) operating system, but does not include the Add-on store or the Supervisor panel or possibly other things (?).

What’s a bit confusing is that the online tutorials and examples that you can find generally assume you’re running HASSIO, and don’t necessarily mention that the other option even exists.

You can (usually? always?) get the same functionality, but you do it by manually editing your configuration.yaml file, for example to add a generic thermostat you can copy and paste the Full Configuration Example on the bottom of this page:

Restart your server (Configuration > Server Controls), and then the thermostat should appear in your dashboard, plus any errors in your logs.

That’s my understanding from spending a week with Home Assistant, please correct if wrong.

1 Like

Try this blog post Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

Hi, thanks to @juampe I managed how to manually integrate Node-Red with Home Assistant, manually and without supervised.

If I understand well, supervised works adding some “application” in docker container, installing also the custom components for HomeAssistant and the communication component for the “containerized” application. So application can communicate with HomeAssistant and vice versa.

For example, to integrate “node-red” and HomeAssistant" core, you need:

• Dockerized node-red with node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket palette (plug-in) installed
  • Dockerized (or not) Home-Assistant whit hass-node-red custom component installed (you can fined here: hass-node-red.

In order to do this you need to know how docker, docker-compose works:

This is an extract of my docker-compose:

# node-red con with blynk integration and home assistant
  node-red:
    build: domus-node-red
    container_name: domus-node-red
    image: bsaul/node-red:latest

environment:
      #this is for my proxy
      VIRTUAL_HOST: "node-red.mydomain.it"
      VIRTUAL_PORT: "1880"
      VIRTUAL_PROTO: "http"
      CERT_NAME: "default"     
    volumes:
      - "reddomus:/data"
    networks:
      - "domus-net"
      - "domus-assistant"

# HASSOS / Home Assistant only core
  assistant:
    container_name: domus-assistant
    image: homeassistant/home-assistant:stable
    volumes:
      - "./domus-assistant/config:/config"
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      TZ : "Europe/Rome"
    networks:
      - "external-net"
      - "domus-assistant"

networks:

domus-assistant:
    name: "domus-assistant"
    internal: true

external-net:
    name: "external-net"
    driver: macvlan
    driver_opts:
      parent: bond0
    ipam:
      config:
        - subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
          gateway: 192.168.1.1
          ip_range: 192.168.1.113/32

Please note that i don’t like “host” network and I used docker macvlan network to expose HomeAssistant in my network. Also I use named volumes.

So in order to have a node-red link in HomeAssistant we need to add this lines in configuration.yaml:

panel_iframe:

nodered:
    title: "Node-Red"
    icon: "mdi:nodejs"
    url: "http://domus-node-red:1880"
1 Like

Well that will work, but you do not need to dockerise anything.

Just install node-red and the connector thingy.

EDIT When I say “connector thingy” I mean node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket :slight_smile:

You know all this talk about docker is fine, but HA neglects to say that running docker on BTRFS file systems with snapshots is a bad idea, The two don’t work well together. Now seeing that Fedora is BTRFS by default and Debian has added BTRFS as a filesystem in their installer a little better information for new users might be forth coming from the HA

Just sayin.

Document it then.

Just sayin’