How can I hide the Energy/Media/Map tabs from the sidebar?

Or just click and hold the header of the sidebar (the button that expands it) to enter edit mode and remove the tabs from view.

Too slow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:upside_down_face:

thanks! they definitely should put some small edit icon there :sweat_smile:

you can’t have both default config and energy.

You either implement every integration you want that default_config delivers (by adding them individually), or use default_config and get them all.

If you go to the default_config documents page, and copy/paste every integration you want to use and omit energy:, map:, and media_source:, then those tabs will not show up (and it won’t load them into your system).

2 Likes

oh, thanks. This would be even cleaner :star_struck:

Not having the integration in the config or no default_config also means the entire integration is not there.

I use the map function but I have the map in a card on one of my tabs in the UI. But I do not want it in the left bar. So in these cases - the long click and hide is the way to go.

FYI here’s the list you can just copy/paste:

automation:
backup:
cloud:
config:
counter:
dhcp:
# energy:
frontend:
history:
image:
input_boolean:
input_button:
input_datetime:
input_number:
input_select:
input_text:
logbook:
# map:
# media_source:
mobile_app:
my:
person:
scene:
script:
ssdp:
stream:
sun:
system_health:
tag:
timer:
usb:
webhook:
zeroconf:
zone:
5 Likes

Great tip! Thanks.

Why the missing bluetooth:, hardware:, homeassistant_alerts:?

Because those are new and the post is not?

Are you asking me? I just start using HA last week, I wouldn’t know if those are new or not.
My doubt was if the missing modules depended in any way on the disabled modules.

My response was a rhetorical question. They are new integrations and the post you replied to was made before they existed. That’s why they aren’t included in that lists post.

1 Like

for anyone doing this under a reasonable vanilla Home Assistant 2023.1.2 Frontend 20230104.0 - latest

i had to REM image: as well but works a treat to remove the items FOR ALL

So, the solution to remove a few unwanted sidebar selections is: ?

1. Install HACS (not officially supported – kiosk-mode).

2. Modify configuration.yaml and everyone will happily support any mistakes… And, new additions to the default_config will still be added after editing it properly?

I humbly respect that there’s a better solution at this time – Google led me here. :rofl:

MrGrey.

No… Where’d you get this idea?

Not sure what you mean.

All you have to do is edit configuration.yaml. Add every integration listed in default_config like this in configuration.yaml:

e.g. adding energy…

energy:
1 Like

Apologies… Reading too many threads opened in multiple browsers/tabs and with too much cough syrup on board.

It’s hard to figure all this stuff out (properly).

I might do that after finding corroborating information.

Thank you.

MrGrey.

What about if you would like to do this on a per user basis e.g. show map for some users but not others?

Why does the Energy item reappear every time there is a new release of HA??? I don’t want it on my sidebar and have to disable it every time a new release comes out.

So this is the weak spot about hardcoding stuff. It is by definition hardcoded and not dynamic, so if something new is added tomorrow you have to (1) know about it and (2) update your hardcoding again.

There is a “Dashboards” page, and “Energy” is on there already. There is even a “Show in sidebar” option with a check mark suggesting it is configurable. Except some smart guy decided that for the “Energy” dashboard (which it apparently is) this does not count.

1 Like

to be more precise there is more to do then just a copy and paste !.

We need to copy and THEN CHECK each of these elements we have copied from your list if such already exist cause then those have to be removed from your list like frontend: for example cause otherwise the file editor will complain about a duplicate mapping key.

1 to remove or disable the 2nd line in config.yaml to

hashtag default_config:

2 then we need to add all the elemtens we want to have in the sidebar and also what not - by adding a hashtag in front of those lines and to clean it up: move those lines to the top.

automation:
backup:
cloud:
config:
counter:
dhcp:
energy:
frontend:
history:
image:
input_boolean:
input_button:
input_datetime:
input_number:
input_select:
input_text:
logbook:
# map:
# media_source:

BUT PAY ATTENTION to avoid those duplicated mappings.
I had changed the following lines by adding a hash tag in front of those

# automation:
# frontend
# scene:
# script:

backup:
cloud:
config:
counter:
dhcp:
energy:
history:
image:
input_boolean:
input_button:
input_datetime:
input_number:
input_select:
input_text:
logbook:
# map:
# media_source:
mobile_app:
my:
person:
ssdp:
stream:
sun:
system_health:
tag:
timer:
usb:
webhook:
zeroconf:
zone:

quite complicated if you are not really familiar with such point which tbh belongs into the configuration somewhere. My sidebar still looks chaotic, partly because HA sort orders throw things around like those I could sort by adding a number, but then the alphabetic order comes back again with file, hacks, terminal before developer and so continue

You should update your list cause there is at least one missing based on my installation cause when I tried to use the “helper” I got a message that need the default config … or have to add

schedule:

to use the helper for timer or scheduling. I have added that an now my helper is working fully again.
thanks