How detect purge is finished?

This is HA in container; there are no automatically installed updates.
All my automations do not create new data, they may only change input_boolean helpers.
I suspect only one thing: when a huge CPU load occurs (python, as it is reported by “top”), the HA is unable to process data properly, so DB is flooded by some trash. For testing, I switched off almost all my integrations (Life360, Traccar, Companion app, Met.no weather, netdata, open hardware monitor, asuswrt, xiaomi, …), but still observe this huge CPU load sometimes. Reinstalling Debian does not help.

I will read it, thank you!
But my initial question was - may I use the “purge” service to remove this wrongly added data ; I did not mean using SQL which I really do not know)))

Yes you can , if you know which entities/ or domän / or area , unfortunately it’s not as easy to do, if you don’t know what was filling up the DB, and here sqlite-addon is a good “companion” to penetrate the event/state table ( removing newest entries etc.)

With purge you should also be able to Purge specific, but i’ve never tried with a “list” of entities , only individual entities and Domäns … i purged 1 time ALL by Domäns, i.e. Light/Switches/Device_Trackers etc etc. 1 by 1, with purge-interval “Lower than default”

But i guess im done with that part , i have restricted Recoder to “include” , so i just have to include what ever i want it to record

As I understood, if some entity (-ies) is specified, then the service will purge only this particular entity (means - remove all records which are older than “today - purge_interval”).
This is not what I need; I think that DB is supposed to contain only entities which are “allowed to be recorded” in the Recorder’s settings (I myself use only “exclude” options). So, since I need these “allowed” entities’ data - I am not supposed to delete them.
What I need is to get rid of a trash added due to a bug, wrote about it many times. I do not think that this trash is some “allowed” entity’s data - in this case this trash should be deleted automatically on 04:00 AM, which does not happen.

Your database will only change size on repacks, which by default occurs on the 2nd sunday of each month.

As I said - I tried to call the “purge” service with the “repack” option , no results.

repack takes a long time, it’s not quick at all

The recorder.purge service does not look at your includes and excludes. As documented, this is all it does:

Call the service recorder.purge to start a purge task which deletes events and states older than x days, according to keep_days service data.

So it does not matter what is in your include and exclude config. Any rows older then 10 days will be purged, any rows less then or equal to 10 days will not be purged.

If you want to purge data from a specific entity you believe has been wrongfully recorded, you need to use the recorder.purge_entities service. And then you need to specify which entity IDs, domains and/or entity globs to purge. Note that this service does not default to your include and exclude config, it also does not look at that. You must specify some entities to purge and it will purge only those.

The only part of recorder that looks at your include and exclude config is the live-recording aspect. As in when an event comes in it looks at your config to see whether that event should be recorded or not. Once an event is in the DB, it is not purged unless it is older then keep_days or you specifically tell recorder to purge its data via the recorder.purge_entities service.

This is why I was saying before if you are just running it with the same value for keep_days its really not doing much. You are already purging all data older then 10 days and repacking the DB every night at 4AM. Running the purge service again that same day won’t really have much work to do.

1 Like

I see no changes even after several hours.
Are there any visible signs of “repack is in progress”?

Thanks again for a detailed answer.
Unfortunately, it does not help me.
Assume my “normal” file size is 4GB, suddenly it becomes 15GB. Means - some data are recorded.
What are these data related to?
Assume these data are for some entity which was NOT allowed to be recorded. I am 99% sure that this this assumption is wrong: all entities excluded from Recorder cannot produce this rapid and huge increase.
Then assume these data are some “buggy” data; I am not an expert in DB at all, but think that a crash in a db server may cause recording some trash.
So, why I am telling about my problems HERE? Because I believed that the “repack” function may clean DB - remove all trash and leave only needed data. My tests with calling the “purge+repack” service did not succeed, DB size was not restored back to the “normal” size.

I repeat: my posting here is mainly not about “why DB size is increased and what this trash is”, it is about “may I use purge+repack to remove this trash”.
Answering the 1st question is a very complex thing, this is beyond a scope of this thread. Surely I need to eliminate a reason of this “increasing”, but now I just want to learn how to “fix” a DB.

What evidence do you have for this? This seems impossible to me. HA is what tells the DB to add something. If it crashed, what would tell the DB to add a row? There’s essentially only 3 things recorded in the DB from HA:

1. Events fired over the bus (exception: state_changed events since state changes are different)
  2. Changes in state for entities (including attributes)
  3. Statistics for entities with numeric states

Almost certainly if your DB is increasingly rapidly you have some integration that is rapid firing state changes at HA. See here for some tips on finding those entities.

That’s not how this works. Repack isn’t an HA thing, its a native database thing. It does not remove any actual user data. That would be a major, major issue because admins do repacks on production databases regularly. It essentially does a clean up, re-organizing data on disk to optimize indices and layout and such. It also does admin things like cleaning up the transaction table (which may remove some data but not user data, internal data). Among other stuff, I don’t really know all it does, I’m not a db expert either.

But the point is it is something HA is triggering in the DB, it is not a process written by HA. Therefore it has absolutely no knowledge of what you have included and excluded in your recorder config, it doesn’t even know what is in the tables. Everything is just bytes to it, it would never delete your stuff.

1 Like

This is a very clear explanation what the repack is. It is like “HDD defragmentation does not delete files, it rearranges them”.
So, my guess about using repack to remove wrongly added data is wrong.
Thanks again.

As for finding a reason of my DB issue - yes, it could be a problem with some integration. As I said, once I disabled almost all integrations but still observed this issue. Will continue to find the reason…

One more thing.
Assume some integration starts recording some entity rapidly. If each record is “marked” with a current timestamp - I believe these rapidly-added data (1000000000 records per day instead of normal 100) should be purged in 10 days - which does not happen in my case, DB size is not decreasing (for instance, 2-3 weeks ago (before 2023.1) DB size suddenly grown from 4GB to 6.7GB and was same these 2-3 weeks).

Ok. I mean there might be a bug but you’d need more proof then that. You’d really need to query the db and find data in there that was recorded even though your filters said not to or was more then 11 days old (since purge runs once a day you’d expect things to live up to 24 hours over the limit until the job can run).

Fwiw my understanding is the fastest way to build up a large db is having a lot of attributes. Particularly changing data in attributes. Because then everytime an attribute changes a row is added with the value of all attributes, even the ones that didn’t change. So if you have frequently changing data in attributes or heavy use of attributes, I’d start looking there. It’s better to bump data that is changing out into its own entity as the state if possible.

2 Likes

I suggest you change your “strategy” to only use Only “Include” in your Recorder settings, by using Exclude ( as you do ) or Exclude+Include then the Recorder might/Will record something you really don’t want it to , because you can’t always “predict” what will happen in your system/configurations/settings.etc.
By only using Include, you tell Recoder to “Record only events / states / state-changes” in/from the list of entities/Domäns you specify in Recorder-Config(conf.yaml)
EDIT: Not entirely truth, HA does apparently records some “system events” regardless of Recorder-settings
By using exclude, Recorder Records everything , but not the entries/domäns you have specified in “exclude”
… And Everything is as it sounds ( you have no/less control ) , an update, whether a ha, or integration could create new entities, services etc, a script/automation/template will create events

If you know which data you want in your DB, You should use “only” Include in your Recorder-settings.
This will minimize the risk that the Recorder (for unknown reasons) fills your DB with garbage

Within last 24 hours started the “purge” service TWICE (with several hours interval):

No reaction, no db file size changes…
“Days to keep” set to “1 day” - specially to see a difference.
No corresponding records in Log.

BUT - there is no a longer history for entities in History!

An available history starts from “yesterday, 07:00” .
Seems that the History shortened to 1 day.
Then why the db file size is not changed?
Using a standard “filesize” integration; also measured by calling “ls -la”, same file size reported.

Thank you, I need to think about it.
My initial idea was “let all entities have a history by default”; but your proposal has own advantages, need to think…

FWIW, I only include. You add a device with 40 entities, you now have 40 new database entries as soon as you add it. If you only use inclusions, that never happens. It requires a bit more hand holding, but all the include/exclude yaml for entities that ‘record’ use the same yaml shape. So they can all point to the same file with an !include. Then you only manage it in one place.

In your pic above this txt , i see that you “checked” the Repack ; However !, if you look to the right, there is a “Toggle” which you not seems to have “clicked” on “enabled”, so NO Repack have been performed

PS: Don’t ask me why they have made this "2 factor “entanglement” . i’d didn’t see/noticed this the first couple of times, and even after i was aware about it, i have forgotten to click it .( it’s neither intuitive , nor good UX “gimmick”…
( i.e. greyed like it’s not suppose to work, and no txt like “enable” or so … just a greyed (not available ? ) toggle )

Omg, you are right).
But anyway, “purge” should have started - and now I do not observe a file size changed.
Will test again with the “repack on” set.
Imho the file size should have reduced even w/o repack …

Right, this approach has its advantages. As I said before, I will think about it and probably reconsider my way.

It’s like a “Defrag” , Purge remove the “written entries” in the file ( file is still the same size … Repack reclaim free space by re-arrange " bits and bytes " … kind of like that, i honestly don’t know in details

Edit: if you don’t do the Repack, then “new” entries will fill-in, and you initially might see a slight increase, but if nothing else happens in your system, and you have removed alot entries, and configured Recorder to Record less, then eventually your DB-file will decrease, as Recorder does default purge/repack ( so eventually all “old” entries will be gone, and “free” space replaced with new entries,( it’ll take default purge-interval + alitle/alot more ) time, before Recorder have “optimized” the DB-file

Then this is strange.
As it was written before, the “repack” performed automatically not every day.
But file size is kept same due to an automatic “purge” call (04:00).
Probably “purge” only marks all old records as “old” - and then they are overwritten, so a file size is same.

Ok, I think I got the point.
Thanks again for explanations!

Yes maybe, sounds more “correct” than my theory :slight_smile: