How do I call AppDaemon method from an automation?

Thank you for the quick reply, and sorry for reviving such an old thread.

I should have looked a bit more, what I’m trying to do is exactly what is described on this thread:
Question about how to integrate AppDaemon as a service?, expose a python script as a service.

The problem still remains from what I can tell, I can’t do this w/o appdeamon, which in turn can’t be exposed back as a service in HA without exposing maybe REST APIs and such.

Appdeamon would be useful to HA if it would replace fully an HA automation (both inputs and outputs). The way things stand, HA is useful to appdeamon since it exposes entities the app deamon can build upon, but not the other way around.

At least that’s how I see things; new user here.

That’s not entirely true. You can create entities in AppDaemon that only exist there and you can create HA entities from AppDaemon as well. I find AppDaemon pretty useful :slight_smile:

You don’t have to use AppDaemon to use python scripts in HA. See this youtube how to add a python script that provides services in HA.

From what I know, you can either use the way described in the post above by @Xelanc or what I used for one of my scripts is events.

You can just fire an event from the automation and listen to it in your AppDaemon app. Just give it a distinctive name so there’s no chance of it being used by another integration/service.