How do I change name of attributes "oben instead of offen"

Hey there.
I successsfully added the Velux blinds integration today, using the KLF200 and the Velux entity. It is now possible to change the state of the blinds without using the bloody remotes and it also gives me the option to automate it using weather, climate and such without having to go upstairs in the attic.
But how do I change the name, so it does not say open and clased in the state attribute but something more user (wife) friendly. Do I use a helper to change to a different text or would I rather use templates. I created this in the template editor,

{## Imitate available variables: ##}
{% if is_state('cover.nord','open') %}
Rolladen Nord oben geöffnet  
{% elif is_state('cover.nord','closed') %}
Geschlossen
{%endif%}
{% if is_state('cover.nord','open') %}
Rolladen Nord oben geöffnet  
Geschlossen
{%endif%

but I have trouble to include it into my .yaml file as I do not want a new sensor, just change the attribute name of that sensor.
thanks for yor help.

Not an “attribute name” - this is a changed “state value”.

The easiest way:

1. Assume there is some place in UI which is used to operate the blinds. Let it be some card.
  2. Using a custom card supporting templates you may show a “custom state value”.
    For instance - assume you got Entities card for your “cover” entities.
    Then use a custom:template-entity-row with a replaced “state value”.
    All template-entity-row-related questions may be asked in a dedicated template-entity-row thread (find it “Share your projects”).
    Similarly may be done with custom:button-card.

Ofc the actual “state value” still can be seen in more-info windows.
So, do not let people to open it :person_shrugging:

Hi. Thanks for the good and easy idea.
Maybe it is as easy as just changing the existing dashboard which is:

type: entities
entities:
  - entity: cover.nord
  - entity: cover.sud_oben
  - entity: cover.sud_unten
title: Rolläden

shown as:

so how about adding additional info right here:

it could show the friendly state attribute “geöffnet” or "geschlossen, maybe even the percenlage of the blinds opened.Would you think that this is doable?

If you need to a “custom state value” there (red oval) - consider template covers with templated friendly names like “Bathroom door (closed)”.

I think my way to go is to use a markdown card.
Will I still be able to use up down and stop button? I think these are cover specific.

The second problem is when I click on the card, it opens a new window, where it then shows the percentage opened. There I would like it to state “oben” and “unten” instead of “open” and “closed”
Would a text helper be the way to go?

Markdown may merely:

• show a templated & formatted text
  • show an image
  • show an icon
  • show a table

And no tap_action.

I guess this is smth in your native language.
There is a “language” setting per user (!!!) in HA.
Select “English” - then state values for device_classes (incl. “cover”) will be shown in the selected language.

Hi there. “oben” and “unten” means “up” and “down”.
If you are asking to change the language then go to your user settings or system > general.
If you want to change “offen” to “oben” (open to up), then there seems to be now way around other than changing the translation for all types of covers in the source code. But on the other side you should just get used to it because that is way easier.
Personally I would use a tile card where you have the state, the percent number, arrow controls and the state icon in the card. Then it is cleary visible (german: in vierfacher Ausführung) which state it is.

Tile cards seem like a good idea. Now I have the problem, that I need 3 separate cards.
That just looks horrible:

And it still states offen instead of oben. . .

nothing like the pretty example:

And you have not added “features” yet to show open/close buttons. Then it will occupy more space)).

I managed that now I’d like to combine three entities into one tile card pretty much like it is shown in the example with Anna Therese

May be I lost the point - but for me a choice between Entities card or a Tile card is mainly a matter of design (better look, compact way, similar style, …).
The initial issue was about a replacing of “state values” - which cannot be solved by the Tile card.

An example - “sun.sun”.
It has “above_horizon” & “below_horizon” possible states.
They are SAME for any language if check it with “{{ states(‘sun.sun’)} }” in Dev tools → Templates or just in Dev Tools → States.
But in UI these state values are shown as “localized” to the user’s language.
So, I see “Above horizon” & “Below horizon”.
Or smth different if I choose another language in user’s settings.

But assume I want to show these states just as “Day” & “Night” (“custom values”).
There are 2 ways of showing “custom values”:

1. Show a “custom value” on a card - and do not show (or hide) the original “localized” value. This may be done either by using a card supporting templates (like custom template-entity-row, button-card) - or by card-mod. And anyway you can see the native “localized” value in more-info window.
  2. Create a template sensor with your desired states (if “above_horizon” → then state is “Day”) and then use in UI only this template sensor instead of original one with native states.

Like I said changing the state name to oben would probably require you to change to source code of your installtion or maybe coding your own card.
With the second image you are on the right track. I have them set like this
The code to that:

square: false
type: grid
cards:
  - type: tile
    entity: cover.rolladen_oben_links
    tap_action:
      action: more-info
    features:
      - type: cover-open-close
    tap_action:
    features:
    tap_action:
    features:
    tap_action:
    features:
columns: 2

Then if you have this you can delete your old card to save space, because they have the same functionality.
If you dont want it to open the little window with the percentage when you click anywhere on it, you need to delete

tap_action:

That ist prefect. I just altered it to my needed Entities. I guess I’ll just live with open and closed for now because thanks to the icons it’s very well visible. Maybe I could use templating within the card or is that not allowed?
So really I would not see another way rather then changing the language settings.
When templating would be possible that would be nice. I just added a Markdown Card which looks like this:

Dachrollo Nord{% if is_state('cover.nord','open') %}  geöffnet  
geschlossen
{%endif%}Dachrollo Süd oben {% if is_state('cover.sud_oben','open') %} geöffnet  
{% elif is_state('cover.sud_oben','closed') %}geschlossen
{%endif%}Dachrollo Süd unten  {% if is_state('cover.sud_unten','open') %}geöffnet  {% elif is_state('cover.sud_unten','closed') %}geschlossen
{%endif%}

It seems to be working for me.

You can put another markdown card into the grid at the desired position, but not within the other tile cards. We actually have Velux blinds on the roof, but when the upper windows are opened, the blinds would collide with the windows. I made a conditional card to replace the tile card and say “Close the window” combined with the state of an Aqara Zigbee sensor.
And if you dont want to use big markdown cards you can use chips from the mushroom cards. They look like this and allow templates.

Maybe these ideas help you in any way.