How do I switch to Zwave JS?

Will there also a zwcfg.xml file with Zwave JS?
If not how to make the Remotec ZRC-90 usable in Zwave JS?

like:

It also need a posibillity to check on: zwave.scene_activated
Will that be possible also in Zwave JS?

1 Like

yeah thats the path i took and its working great, other than one door sensor that is not awaking…

Am I correct in believing that since both the zwavejs and zwavejs2mqtt integrations use the zwavejs library (server), that the “profiles” and/or naming conventions used by both are the same?

No, it depends on how you get those entities into HA. The web socket path creates different names and potentially different types than those created via MQTT. If you use the zwavejs2mqtt integration and flip the web socket on/off, mqtt on/off you can see its not up to zwavejs / zwavejs2mqtt integrations.

Hello,
I am using the legazy z-wave (depricated) and like to switch to the z-wave JS.
Is there a simple guide I can follow?
I am a bit confused on all the different versions - I did just install the z-wave from integrations a year or so ago and now want to switch… so Any easy guide??
Thanks in advance.

I would not call this an “easy” guide quite yet, but it’s a start:

Yes, if you go through the Web Server on both. If you use MQTT on ZwaveJS2MQTT, it will be named differently.

1 Like

It’s not really a big deal to “install the whole project”. It’s just one docker container that contains everything you need.

they have to wake up before they report.

see here.

While trying to wrap my head around all of this, something came to mind. I own a lot of Zooz ZWave products, and I’ve been working with folks at Zooz, and TheSmartestHouse specifically for their other product lines, to troubleshoot issues with their products when used in Home Assistant (similarly with Fortrezz and Ecolink). I’ve also pushed them to put more focus on including Home Assistant in their product testing pipeline and in the list of supported Hubs listed on their web site.

Fortunately, Home Assistant is now beginning to appear in more and more lists beside their products, and the latest product I received has Home Assistant not only listed as supported, but is one-of-three QR codes printed on the packaging for quick set up. This is huge. They are also now active in providing links to the Home Assistant Community Forum to assist customers with setup issues, which I’ve also contributed to. Their focus up to now, AFAIK, has been on the OZW library functionality (both 1.4 and 1.6), which the community now seems to be abandoning in favor of zwavejs. In terms of progress made with device vendors, I believe this will be a huge step backwards in device support for Home Assistant users.

I don’t know whether of not abandoning OZW for zwavejs is the right move, and I trust those who understand this stuff much better than me to make the right decision. However, I hope they do keep in mind how this might/will impact product manufacturers who have been making strides supporting the Home Assistant community, and how they may have to retool/retrain, or worse case, ADD a new protocol/server in order support us effectively.

My only hope is that vendors don’t punt HA altogether as too much of a moving target. Just food for thought.

1 Like

I have a Remotec 120 that never worked with the old zwave and is working perfect without edit anything. It seems OZW didn’t manage well any Remotec device.
I would suggest to take an snapshot to come back is something is not working for you and try out.

Will there also a zwcfg.xml file with Zwave JS?

This is a good question, since I often have to edit that file to add parameters to devices that don’t appear in the old 1.4 version (since it is no longer updated). That has been working for me, since I pull them from the zwave alliance repository. Perhaps we will no longer need to do anything if they are kept up to date for us with new releases, but it would be nice to know if that capability exists at all (in the HASSOS integration).

I migrated from from Zwave 1.4 -> ZwaveJS2MQTT today, and still working to get everything going. I have over 60 devices. A bit of work trying to match up all the names to id. Most of the devices seem to be working.

However, I’m having trouble with my door locks. Schlage. They show up, but cannot be controlled nor are they giving any updates. I tried awaking them at the lock itself, removing the batteries, etc. Any tips to get these to work?

Yeah I guess I just like to have to install just what I’m going to use and nothing else. I’ll go ahead and throw it in a container.

So I replaced the legacy z-wave (1.4) with z-wave js, followed the guide and it worked fairly ok.

Got 2 nodes that are not identified yet, will give them some time to see.

• Fibaro smoke detector
  • Zipato mini keyboard

But I’m puzzled, are there no config options in the gui? With old zwave I could change settings on devices etc but find nothing now ?

exactly my state of mind right now…, got it all working perfectly with the core JS integration and add-on. But am in want of the interface and control options of the zwavejs2mqtt add-on… not the re-naming and re-configuring of my fine-tuned entities and devices ;-(

Didn’t you say @Petro it was a matter of having these 2 installed simultaneously and be able to switch from the one to the other with a mouse click only?

Not using the Mqtt bit of the zwavejs2mqtt add-on that is, I use the core mqtt integration (because I also need to subscribe and publish other events)

you need GitHub - hassio-addons/addon-zwave-js-ui: Z-Wave JS UI - Home Assistant Community Add-ons for that (for now). The team is rapidly developing the core add-on, so maybe more control will be built into that going forward. If you need it now, go for the community add-on

1 Like

Ozw isn’t being abandoned. It’ll still be developed and used in home assistant. The developer for OZW has stepped away, effectively keeping the OZW beta exactly where it stands until he returns. You’re welcome to be upset, but it’s not like we had a choice.

Looks like #2 has been fixed: https://github.com/home-assistant-libs/zwave-js-server-python/commit/5ca0201164f7023a10cd3303bcaccd54b5f2553e

Yes I thought I had read @petro saying that as well. But maybe I misread/misunderstood.

Not very clear to me either what the impact is of using zwavejs2mqtt for now and moving to the zwavejs add-on later when it has more features (such as a UI).
Edit: there’s a very interesting discussion going on regarding this topic:

If you are moving from openzwave to zwave-js and using the old network key in zwave-js configuration, results in error.
zwave and openzwave uses network key in the format like

0x6E, 0xD5, 0x00, 0x2B, 0xCE, 0x00, 0x27, 0xFA, 0xCE, 0xE2, 0x76, 0x8D, 0x81, 0xCF, 0xD6, 0x09

zwave-js expects the same key in
6ED5002BCE0027FACEE2768D81CFD609
you need to remove 0x and ,.
Hope this helps

1 Like