How do I switch to Zwave JS?

I don’t know what you mean by ruining your system but as long as only one add-on is using the stick at a time then there shouldn’t be a hardware issue.

Now, entity naming could be an issue unless you copy over the cache files from one add-on to the other.

I don’t know where it is (there are way too many zwavejs threads going on to keep track) but there is a guide somewhere on where to find those files to copy between the two.

1 Like

have you checked that you have the correct network key entered in zwavejs2mqtt?

Thank you for following-up. You are spot on, it is a key issue. When I started, I couldn’t find the key anywhere so lost it in my upgrade. The updated documentation now provided tells you to look in the .storage folder for the key value. I ended up having to exclude/reset my devices and setup a new key. Everything is working fine now. A couple of other tips I learned that may help others:

• The Schlage locks do not include/exclude very well with weak batteries. Put a new set in.
  • Get your z-wave controller as close to the lock as possible. I ended up running a long ethernet cable to my nuc and putting it right next to the door. That solved all my ‘red x’ issues on the lock.
  • Be patient. It takes a few minutes for all the values/entities to show up correctly.

Does this work for you? This is what mine looks like:

Which is somewhat “flatter” than I would suspect.

Unfortunately I’m only testing things right now so I only have one node. That said mine looks OK with that one node.

But yeah, it does look pretty flat.

Hopefully it gets more elegant later.

@baize, not sure if you have managed to solve the issue, but fyi I have opened an issue on the node-zwave-js repo.

1 Like

Hello.
I’m trying Zwave JS on a separate Raspberry. The new network, no migration.

The server is started and worked.
In HA I add Integration, then add the node (Motion sensor).

Node added but no objects.

Any help, please.

Hi,
“Nodes ready: 1/2” means that the node you added isn’t finished completely. Only once the interview part has been completed the objects in HA will be created. If you added a battery node, you might need to wake it up regularly until the node has been completely added. (A motion sensor is most likely a battery node). I do not use this Zwave JS version but the MQTT one (with MQTT disabled) so I can access the control panel there and execute a re-interview node. But I do not know how to do that in this version (or if it is possible).

Unfortunately it is not possible in the Zwave-JS version to access or set the configuration settings (like Wake-up interval) for a device at this time. That is on the roadmap I saw. That can be done in the Zwave-JS MQTT addon.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

I have tried to change to Zwave-JS but it didn’t work. More then half of my devices was “unknown” and I was not able to get them up and running. Tried to uninstall/install again and stop/restart but it didn’t help. Restored the old one and it worked directly.
Any ideas? Or just wait for better version?

It sounds like you did something wrong and there’s many places to mess up. Have you followed one of the community migration guides?

Yes, and it looks fine from start. My powered devices show up but the batteries ones start to show up after some time. And a couple of them are discovered correctly. I waited for like 48 hours but I still had like 14 discovered devices of 40. The rest was “unknown”. I tried a couple of things, like restart of Zwave-JS and also removed/added zwave-js integration. I also removed integration, uninstalled zwave-js, restarted the procedure again with same result. It is not always the same devices that shows up. And i have activated all devices.

1 Like

Got the same, any solution?

Getting the same error. Were you able to resolve?

Same here. Anyone get this fixed?

No, I did a restore of old integration.

battery devices take a while to get a full interview and can’t be discovered by z-wave JS until that happens. You will need to manually wake them up if you want to get them discovered more quickly. Restarting Z-Wave JS or removing/adding the integration will not solve this problem for you, it may actually make it worse.

Yes I know but I have walked around the house to wake them up and I have also replaced batteries in them to make shore they wake up. I waited for about 48 hours before starting to remove/add and restart system.

You have to push the little button on the bottom/inside of the devices, take the battery out/reinsert, or just wait for them to periodically “wake up” on their own.

Like many others I will have to migrate to Zwave JS one day, and I look forward to the enhanced features and performance at that point. However I really don’t want devices to be out of service for a period of time when I do so, and I absolutely don’t want to have to go round the house, removing devices from light switches etc. to activate or re-pair them.
Is it really not possible to retain whatever internal information is needed in order to make a migration seamless?

All you have to do is wake the BATTERY devices back up. You don’t have to reinclude anything. People doing that do not understand how zwave works and they are just trying things.