How do I switch to Zwave JS?

No, ZwaveJS2MQTT has a built in server, you don’t need the Zwave JS addon. You can just install the ZwaveJS2MQTT without the other.

To clarify:

zwavejs2mqtt addon → provides MQTT and/or zwave-js-server, with a nice management UI
zwave-js addon → provides zwave-js-server but no management UI
zwave-js integration talks to a zwave-js-server, take your pick which one

2 Likes

If you manually toggle/adjust GE dimmer does it show in HA? I ask this because I read somewhere polling is not implemented yet. thanks

Everything related to my GE dimmer bulbs works in Z-Wave JS. Toggling on/off and adjusting brightness works beautifully.

I was incorrect thinking the polling values impacted these devices, it’s the old Z-Wave refresh_value setting that these GE devices required that is available in Z-Wave JS.

I am running into issues getting Z-Wave JS to work with my HANK Electronics RGBW dimmable bulbs. I can toggle them on/off and adjust brightness but changing color temp or RGB color is not working through HA.

I’m not sure if my bulbs aren’t compatible or if RGBW control isn’t fully baked into Z-Wave JS

1 Like

Yes and I thought you were talking about the polling issues… Because there are issues with old Jasco devices :rofl: :joy:

The Zwave JS has a database similar to openzwave. If you dig into it, that ahrdware file may be missing.

1 Like

My RGB bulbs appear in the openzwave database

When I try to adjust the color on the bulbs I see the following error in the Z-Wave JS logs:

INFO ZWAVE: Controller status: Driver: Color Switch: property "targetColor" requires a property key, but none was given

I’d start by writing an issue up on github

1 Like

that’s what’s causing this difference still?

I was able to have the JS integration load after stopping the Deprecated integration, but somehow that still manages to control my devices :wink:

1 Like

Wow, I’m surprised any of ZWave JS is working. In order to switch from the legacy Zwave, you need to remove it from your configuration and reboot the host. The old zwave integration gobbles up the usb and never releases it.

of course I shouldnt have said that, because right now, the whole instance is unresponsive and it would come back alive.
In supervisor I see this:

- description: Fully configurable Z-Wave JS to MQTT gateway and control panel
  icon: true
  logo: true
  name: Z-Wave JS to MQTT
  repository: a0d7b954
  slug: a0d7b954_zwavejs2mqtt
  state: started
  update_available: false
  version: 0.2.3
  version_latest: 0.2.3

I must have started it, without intention… can I disable this from CLI in supervisor? It seems the only thing unwanted in the config, and no errors are displayed anywhere…

this is all it shows in the log, it wont go past recorder:

2021-02-04 01:16:58 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for favicon which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2021-02-04 01:16:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for profiler which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2021-02-04 01:17:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain logger took 0.0 seconds
2021-02-04 01:17:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up http
2021-02-04 01:17:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain http took 0.1 seconds
2021-02-04 01:17:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up system_log
2021-02-04 01:17:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain system_log took 0.0 seconds
2021-02-04 01:17:10 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of recorder is taking over 10 seconds.

When executing this script in the template editor, I get: “Exceeded maximum execution time of 3.0s”

Any ideas?

Are you running HA on a potato? There’s no way to optimize that template and get all the info. You could restrict it to each domain that you have, but you’ll have to change states to states.light, states.switch, etc for each domain you have.

Anyone having issues with Inovelli devices, particularly the LZW36? Zwave JS can see just the basics. I can’t figure out how to catch button presses, nor can I figure out how to set things like power output.

1 Like

Agreed. It seems most people responding here are either on the OZW beta 1.6 or the zwave2mqtt (whatever that is) already, but many of us are still on the original zwave 1.4 integration, and so far, I really can’t make out what happens once we install the new JS integration. Like, all my devices are still connected to the controller, but the controller is basically disconnected from HA when I stop Zwave 1.4. What happens when I start JS for the first time? Lots of missing information for those of us who haven’t transitioned one or more times already. I’m not keen on rebuilding everything from scratch again, which is basically what it will be since I’ve renamed all of my entities for consistency and organization. If I want to not redo all my automations, retest, etc., I should rename things the same, but that, will require deleting all of them first, assuming I even have the same entities in JS.

I’m really excited about this new integration and want to switch as soon as feasible, but I just need to understand the process better first. I just ran the template to list out my entities, and I’ve got 294 that I’ve renamed, not including the 50 or so that are disabled. :roll_eyes:

EDIT: the Zwave Integration page says I have 541 entities.

3 Likes

Add me to the list of mildly worried 1.4 users (not ozw 1.4, whatever that is), but ones who have “transitioned”, or at least played with that before. I went through a mess playing with ozw when it was first released, renaming a bunch etc… gave up because my battery powered devices were not working until waking for their 5hr report. So things like door sensors did not work after a reboot until I removed them and hit a button, or up to 5hrs went by. AFAIK this was never resolved in OZW. No biggie as 1.4 was working fine, but I had to rename 4 times going back and forth testing (yeap… fun fun). I headed wise advice to hold off until it officially replaced 1.4 and there was a migration tool.

Now, I’m technically running “deprecated” software and looking to join in on the renaming excitement. Being an HA user, I suspect I’m not alone in that it’s not the end of the world to rename sans migration tool magic, as long as it is just once and it works well. That leaves me with what I feel are reasonable worries… will my battery devices will also stop working again? are any devices/features I have that are not yet supported? S2 sounds like it will be cool, but I’m not jumping in headfirst before everyone this time around lol.

1 Like

zwavejs2mqtt addon → provides MQTT and/or zwave-js-server, with a nice management UI
zwave-js addon → provides zwave-js-server but no management UI
zwave-js integration talks to a zwave-js-server, take your pick which one

None of that makes sense to me, coming from zwave 1.4. Is zwavejs2mqtt yet ANOTHER zwave integration, like OZW beta 1.6 and now zwave-js? So we just ‘pick one’? It’s daunting enough to consider starting all over again ONCE, much less trying out three alternatives so we can ‘pick one’. I’m assuming that the new zwave-js is the recommended zwave integration going forward, or am I wrong? How many more different zwave integrations are there going to be in HA? I was just hoping for something that provided everything zwave 1.4 does, just updated for 1.6.

Yeah, what a mess. I’m not so excited anymore… :weary:

This is going to be a LONG, PAINFUL slog. It’s not just renaming, but retesting every automation, sensor, script… everything.

What would be nice is if someone could provide us with an idea of what things look like in zwave-js vs the original integration, like the differences in UI, managing devices/entities, setting parameters, will zwave-graph still work, and most importantly, how to effectively transition from one to the other without having to trial-and-error. I suppose some of that is coming, so I’ll be waiting for a while, again.

I’m waiting for the migration wizard. I’m also on the cooked in version and it’s fine for now.

1 Like

Agree, CO_4x4, I have to say that it feels extremely premature to be deprecating the only stable, completely operational version of zwave (1.4) before a fully operational replacement is in place. Looking at the zwave-js page there are quite a few pretty critical components still missing, such as polling and setting parameters via services (the latter which I currently use), that currently don’t work. Perhaps most people have already migrated to one of the other zwave forks. Every one of my devices is zwave, so this component is pretty critical for me. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m sure this is a stupid question, but I’ve researched and can’t find the answer…

I’ve installed Deconz on a separate Pi that runs in the middle of my house, means if I restart HA no issue with reconnecting, it’s so much better.

At the moment my Zwave controller is in my HASSIO pi, but it would be so much better with the new ZWAVEJS to move this across to my separate pi running deconz. It looks like this is possible, but I’ve tried to install (installed npm and then server etc) but everytime I run ts-node src/bin/server.ts /dev/tty0 it gives me an error, first it was typescript missing, but now it’s just saying the server.ts script isn’t installed.

Is there an idiots guide of how to install this on a separate pi as I just can’t get this working.

I’m getting a ‘failed to connect’ when attempting to install the zwavejs integration. What am I missing?