How do I switch to Zwave JS?

I’m not really upset, more frustrated than anything in trying to understand where all of this is headed. And I do understand why this choice was made, at least I thought I did, after reading this:

Which, to me, sounds a LOT like the OZW project itself may be on its deathbed. Given the shift to zwave-js, why then, exactly, would OZW still be “developed and used in home assistant”? I thought the goal was to focus efforts on a unified CORE zwave integration, not yet another community one?

So, is the OpenZWave project itself still being maintained actively, or is the above true, i.e., that Justin was the last remaining active contributor, and who is stepping away from it? Did I misread the release notes? Was the release notes talking only about the OZW (beta) 1.6 integration development?

1 Like

Why throw out work that works?

He’s still managing it, but on his own time at his own pace. The containers and home assistant side are still being maintained.

The same could be said about the now deprecated zwave 1.4. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Yes but you clearly glossed over the fact that it’s not being removed, just deprecated. And that’s been 2 years in the making. 1.4 was announced ‘dead and not moving forward’ a year before openzwave (beta) was first being designed.

To put it into perspective, there hasn’t been a 1.4 update since 2017…

No, I said “deprecated”; I know the difference. Deprecation is the warning shot before removal.

When I began this journey in early 2020, it was the recommended (and only, I believe) option there was for zwave, especially for the uninitiated. Also, from what I can gather, OZW (beta), save for the updated protocol, still isn’t as complete a solution as zwave 1.4. So, sadly, it’s still my best choice, but luckily, all but one of my devices are backward compatible, and except for the no-longer-updated XML files, which I update locally manually, everything works well, albeit slow. I’m ready to upgrade, as soon as there is a solution that can do (at least) what my 4 year old version can do. And, yes, I’ll rename all 296 of my entities if I have to.

It looks like we may be saying this about OpenZWave, and all of its derivatives, in 3 or 4 years…

I guess that’s my perspective, and perhaps the source of my frustration. But I’ll timeout and just watch from the sidelines for a while.

1 Like

You do know that Zwave 1.4 is OpenZwave 1.4 tightly wound into HA?

1 Like

I have a couple of Z-Wave JS to MQTT questions I hope somebody can help me with:

1. In the documentation it says the following in step 4 under Setting up the Home Assistant Z-Wave JS integration:
  1. A dialog box will show, asking to use the add-on:
  • UNCHECK that box, it will install the officia add-on.
  • Again, the official add-on is recommended, so…

I unchecked this as recommended and was kind of expecting the official add-on to be installed together with Z-Wave JS to MQTT, but when I look under Add-ons, that doesn’t seem to be the case, so what exactly does unchecking this box do?
2. If I uninstall Z-wave to JS to MQTT and then reinstall it, will my devices be renamed yet again?
3. If I select a Node from within the Control Panel and click on Home Assistant, I don’t see anything. Am I supposed to? The Nodes show up in Home Assistant as instances.
4. If I look in Store, I see 4 files and they have various sizes. If I click on any of them I get a 404 code and if I try to download them I get a 0kb file. Any way of fixing this?
5. My Alllegion (Schlage) Deadbolt Z-Wave Plus is missing some entities that is important to me. Any way to get those back?

OK so I have moved from Zwave 1.4 over to the Integration version of Zwave JS. First off LOVE IT. Very responsive and overall fairly easy to use.

I would like to get the zwavejs2mqtt administration console to work with the native ZwaveJS implementation. Any guidance on getting the console to work without have zwavejs2mqtt as the primary implementation?

please provide a link to the docks you are reading

That depends on what occurs after you delete it. It’s not outside the possibility.

Can you elaborate on this too? What are you clicking on in home assistant?

What store are you talking about? There is no ‘store’ in home assistant that shows files. Can you take a screenshot of what you’re talking about?

That depends on the entities, not everything is implemented in Zwave JS integration yet. What’s missing?

Web UI for Z-Wave JS to MQTT - Control Panel - Expand Node - Home Assistant Tab
Its probably just if you Enable MQTT Discovery that this is filled with entities, so if that is the case just disregard.

Web UI for Z-Wave JS to MQTT - Store
Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 7.41.36 PM

Alarm Level and Alarm Type. Among other things showed how people entered the door.

Schlage Alarm type:

* 18 (0x12) Keypad Lock
  Alarm Level is User slot number in hexadecimal, 0x00 = User code #1
* 19 (0x13) Keypad Unlock
* 21 (0x15) Manual Lock
  Alarm Level: 1 (0x01) By key cylinder or inside thumb turn 
  Alarm Level: 2 (0x02) Touch function
* 22 (0x16) Manual Unlock
  Alarm Level: 1 (0x01) By key cylinder or inside thumb turn
* 23 (0x17) 
* 24 (0x18) Auto Lock (RF Operate Lock?)
* 25 (0x19) Auto Unlock (RF Operate Unlock?)

Unchecking that box does not install Zwave JS Addon. You’re using the ZwaveJS2MQTT which has a built in Zwave JS Server and the legwork to communicate via MQTT. The Zwave JS Addon is just a Zwave JS Server. So when you uncheck the box, your telling the system “Hey, I’m not using Zwave JS Addon I’m using something else”. If you click yes, it will install Zwave JS Addon.

Yes that’s all for the MQTT stuff.

Thats your cache file for Zwave JS. It holds all your device information. I’m not sure why it’s giving you 404 not found. The integration most likely locks down those files but I can’t say for sure. They exist if you have a list of devices, so don’t be worried about that.

I can’t say for sure if they will be added or if the even exist at this time. I’ll have to defer to another person as I don’t have any of these devices and I didn’t work on the lock portion.

I see now I was reading that wrong. I think it was the constant emphasis on the Zwave JS Addon being the recommended Add-on, that lead me to believe that :joy: I was reading that as by doing this you are following the recommend practice, when in reality you are not.

Many thanks, @jenmonk. I generated my network key from the command line and it is in the format you say it needs to be in: AAXX0E2D7XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX750.

I also tried it without a network key (I don’t have any security devices) but it automatically generated one (in the correct format) after I clicked save.

It’s very strange, I even tried it on a fresh install with nothing but the zwave stick plugged in and it errors out exactly at the same place. The container simply exits after a while and the log shows:

RangeError [ERR_INVALID_BUFFER_SIZE]: Buffer size must be a multiple of 16-bits
type or paste code here

I just did give it a try today to go for a test to Zwave JS coming from zwave 1.4.
The most of the devices are showing up in different names, but it looks like something happen.

I still decided to go back because I can not get my Remotec zrc90 up and running.
It is recognized as device and awake but I can not operate the buttons.
In Zwave 1.4 I did listen to: zwave.scene_activated
Now nothing happens.
In the description it gives the right name as device.
The device only creates 2 entities for battery
Not for the zwave device itself

It shows as device name: “Scene master 8 button remote”. So it knows it is a 8 button switch.
Somebody an idea how to read the (8) buttons in the new zwave JS release?

EDIT:
I did find the solution! In JS you don’t check on: zwave.scene_activated but on zwave_js_event
Than the actions are there:

{
    "event_type": "zwave_js_event",
    "data": {
        "type": "value_notification",
        "domain": "zwave_js",
        "node_id": 39,
        "home_id": 4109089300,
        "endpoint": null,
        "device_id": "30cb5e7a345ed016a9ba9dc42cba5bad",
        "command_class": 91,
        "command_class_name": "Central Scene",
        "label": "Scene 007",
        "property_name": "scene",
        "property_key_name": "007",
        "value": "KeyPressed"
    },
    "origin": "LOCAL",
    "time_fired": "2021-02-05T11:53:58.333788+00:00",
    "context": {
        "id": "721e87a6aa7e22e2604dfc65277f89d5",
        "parent_id": null,
        "user_id": null
    }
}

Thanks. I tried out.
But can not get it working. See my message above this one

EDIT: I did find the solution, see above

Yes I just updated to 2021.2.1 and I now have a clean log on startup :slight_smile:

I used the same format as old zwave 1.4 config with 0x and it seems to work fine :thinking:

I have four sensors that are some distance from the USB stick, but close to hardwired Z-Wave devices that are present in the new Z-Wave JS. It has been two days, and all I’ve got are two of them showing their battery levels and nothing else. Does the wake-up for these get relayed off hardwired devices, or do I need to pull them all out and let them rest near the USB stick? I took one out yesterday and pressed its button for wake-up near the USB stick to no results. I have other wireless sensors of the same make and model that have appeared.

I’m over to Zwave JS. Took me about 2,5 hours.
Now wondering the results.
First impression is not to bad. :sunglasses: :relaxed: :+1:

There is no “maintenace-tools” like repair network or so?

How many devices?