How do I view the USB devices with HASS.io?

Hi @frenck
Any news on the Duplicati solution yet?
Happy to help out testing if you need…
Cheers,
Marius

Hi,

after typing
hassio host hardware , I get :

why’s that ??

I see the same as @kobip

Any clue what is this message about and how can I fix it to see the connected hardware ?
I found that link https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/443 regarding this issue but I didn’t see it fixed

same error here… hass.io v1.3

where ? your link is directing me to the home page of the home assistant

I got the same issue with latest hassio and ssh. Trying to get the correct USB port but got an error:

core-ssh:~# hassio hw info
Error decoding json invalid character ‘:’ after top-level value: 405: Method Not Allowed

Have you found a solution?

hi @perwramdemark, did you or anybody in this thread ever managed to set this up right?

thanks

2 Likes

Any updates about the USB en?

I’m trying to connect a USB WiFi dongle to bridge the interfaces. Is there a possibility of doing this?

I have the same issue, did you ever resolve it?

Use hassio hardware info

3 Likes

Is there any news on being able to mount USB storage? Are addons like MariaDB able to use it? I was looking at having my MariaDB databases saved to a USB stick instead of the Hass SD card.

there is a way to set persistent usb in hass.io with docker on ubuntu?

I believe you can…I’m no docker expert but here is what you want to try.
First create a persistent symlink on your Ubuntu host using udev. I assume you have that set already, there are quite a few posts explaining how to do this. Once you have /dev/zwave (or whatever you are connecting) install portainer so you can visually manage your docker containers (again, assume it’s easier at cli bit I’m no expert). Edit your homeassistant container and go to Advanced->Runtime and resources. There you will see all your /dev/ mappings, remove one and add your device…once done deploy the container and it should work. Make sure you backup before.,…if it wasn’t clear yet…I’m no expert.

Going crazy here trying to find Advanced -> Runtime and Resources settings for the homeassistant container in Portainer. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

UPDATE: Found it under the Duplicate/Edit button when viewing container details.

Unfortunately, the suggestion is not working for me. I added devices with the symbolic link names that I created, e.g., /dev/zwave, and mapped them to devices of the same name in the container. I then clicked Deploy Container. The mapping did not persist after a reboot.

Am I doing something wrong? Cheers.

Select the homeassistant container, hit the “Duplicate/Edit Button” then scroll down. Advanced is the section of the page and Runtime and resources is a tab…see attached screenshot.

if you kept the old container, you need to make sure that it is not running anymore…it will start on it’s own if you don’t remove it…I’m not sure how the supervisor container handles this duplicate/edit but I did notice that when I tried to keep the old container it started up again…also noticed that for some reason it updates homeassistant to the beta version…

Thanks. I think that may be the behavior I’m seeing, And, sure enough, homeassistant updated to the beta version.

Thanks for the suggestion and tips. I’ll come back to this after some further investigation.

I’ve also seen this:
For some devices the /dev/ttyAMA0 device is not detected by udev and is therefore not mapped by Docker. To explicitly set this device for mapping to Home-Assistant, execute the following command using the ssh add-on:

$ curl -d ‘{“devices”: [“ttyAMA0”]}’ http://hassio/homeassistant/options
After that, you need to change usb_path to /dev/ttyAMA0 in your configuration.yaml.

But this is probably for an older version as the URL doesn’t use authentication. If you could find that in the documentation somewhere you may be able to get the URL that will authenticate.