How do you get all event from a node ? ( node-red )

I’m using the zwave.js , had problems finding how to get any events from the FGPB-101 button until I found a blueprint to control it . ( thank you who need the blueprint )
Before using node-red and openzwave, plus it’s node-red add-on a could see all the traffic coming from a node and filter it out until I found the right event I was looking for .
With the FGPB-101 there isn’t a switch device etc only a battery level device the rest is sent via a node broadcast.
How do I get the traffic from a node not a device on the node ?

Try the “all events” node type in the home assistant pallete. Use zwave_js_value_notification as the message type; It will output a message with various properties. The attribute - payload.event.node_id is the node ID to filter on. In my case the device I needed (a Zooz Zen32) had multiple endpoints - so I had to filter further from that using payload.event.property_key

Thank you , I can now see the button presses now in node-red , it just needs a little filtering .

1 Like

@NathanCu There is a nice node red node for the Zen32 that does it all for you. Anyhow, it requires hard coding the node id in the ‘filter’ which requires it being updated when the node id changes. While this does not happen frequently, it is a departure from everything else so I was trying to figure out how to programmatically get the node id to feed to the filter by just using the name (I always name the device / entities the same when re-adding them).

I am using the vanilla Zwave JS and I am expecting that I would need to upgrade to the MQTT version as that comes with some powerful node red nodes that likely can handle this. When I tried migrating it wrecked havoc with my 80 zwave devices so I need to plan for it another time…

Any suggestions?

Yeah my suggestion is dont worry about it.

The node red pallette works exactly as I described above except they’ve just done all the work of identifying which ids and events to listen for and puts it all in a handy dandy sub flow.

There’s no way around identifying the correct node and if it jumps and changes uoure dealing with something thats not expected. I treat that as a one off. Fix it, Report the issue to the integration owner and movs on. Im not spending a single cycle to prevent it. That, to me is tantamount to accepting ths issue is permanent. :joy:

It’s not a bug… rather me needing to exclude it to update firmware (it refused to do it when I tried to use the stick on my laptop even though the 1st one I tried worked). I just prefer not have to go hunt for all the hard coded bits that need to be fixed when a device changes. I love that in HA you just give the new device the same name as the prior one and it is all there functional as before… contrary to ST.