I like it! No button to wear out. I’ll have to see if there is continuity between the hinge and the deadbolt on my doors. I know one isn’t as it is a wooden door, but the others are.
for a bit more details, I simply put a bit of plastic sleeve to ensure the top and bottom part of the frames don’t touch each other.
I have metal scourer stuffed in the deadbolt and one of the additional security anchors. Locking the door makes the connection between the 2 scourers
Because I hooked my not-so-dumb locks up to my alarm system, I can’t even arm the system with the deadbolt unlocked - just like if a door or a window were still open.
I’m using an Envisalink to connect my ADT system to HomeAssistant, but I’ve seen other solutions discussed here as well.
Like this one that just came with V0.70:
That’s even lower tech than mine - I like it.
But I wouldn’t get away with something like that - not ‘clean’ enough; the WAF, you know
lol it’s near invisible to the naked eye. Enough that the WAF didn’t find anything against it
As long as I don’t have the wires showing or boxes hanging off the wall/door it would be all good. But I’m not going to have any wires showing on projects in the first place.
Did something similar with my dumb Schlage keypad deadbolt; I’m using the microswitch that is built into the deadbolt to pull down the Garage Door Sensor switch input. Not the greatest integration job; didn’t bother isolating the signal; just tied the two grounds together. Works fine though.
Is that a ZWave unit you’re using there?
Nice… I did almost the exact same thing at https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/77x2lw/i_made_a_diy_contact_sensor_to_monitor_a_normal/
I used these… 12" drill bit right into the wall cavity to meet an ESP8266… second larger bit to countersink the nut… looks nice, works great… $1.50 per door ( already had the rest done for Reed Switches for open/closed)
Hi @CountParadox. That’s a Xiaomi door sensor, right? Any tips or photos of how you wired it up? I tried both removing the red switch and just using the contacts, but I couldn’t get it to work reliably. Thanks.
it was just using tapped off the reed switch, it was still inside
ive since changed to having an external reed switch mounted near the turning handle, and a magnet stuck to the handle, so when its in the locked position it moves near to the reed switch
Thanks you the reply. My application needs a mechanical switch as a reed switch is proving too sensitive. Did the Xiaomi work reliably while you had it running?
yes it did, but the spring and button mechanism didnt work very well. the reed switch worked more reliably for me…
Cheers, @CountParadox . I may give it another try.
Just wanted to share my take on the idea, this is such an awesome idea!
First I took my Xiaomi door sensor and soldered on the contacts.
Then I soldered the ends of the wire on to two battery springs which are glued on to a piece of cardboard. Also had to glue a piece of tinfoil of the deadbolt to make the contacts trigger.
Ran the wires and stuffed the board back into it’s case.
NOTE My sensor was being really unresponsive/reporting the wrong state at first. I had to try all sorts of position for my sensor, and finally found a spot where it works.
Now it works! Huge thanks to everyone for sharing the idea !
I did very similar using the Xiaomi door sensor, easy to solder across the reed switch and add your own contacts.
In one case there was no bolt that moved when locking the door so I added a DIY actuator made from a bent nail.
I used a microswitch rather than making my own switch. They are long term v reliable if you can mount them securely.
The other thing that worked well was buying some pre-wired micro jst connector pairs:
Very cheap and makes the installation much easier.
Can you provide some more photos in situ, showing how the nail hits the switch please?
First post so hello everyone and thank you for all the inspiration and knowledge I found here!
Here’s how I made my dumb lock smart.
Step 1 - I placed Fibaro Door/Window sensor inside the cavity in the door frame.
Step 2 - Using two-sided tape I sticked small neodymium magnet to the bolt.
The sensor is battery powered so I didn’t have to do any wiring.
I had to remove the cover of the sensor because otherwise it wouldn’t get through the clearance. That 1 mm made a difference I also needed to pad the sensor with foam so that it’s closer to the bolt. Otherwise it wouldn’t trigger the sensor.
It was a bit tricky to align the sensor with the magnet on the bolt. To make it easy I glued two even smaller magnets (1 x 4 mm) on the other side of the foam. Those magnets are weak so they don’t trigger the sensor but they are strong enough to stick to the metal inside the lock cavity. This allows me to secure the sensor in position aligned with the bolt. It will also make it easy to remove the sensor for battery change.
It’s been only 1 day since I got this working so I’m not sure if the double-sided tape will reliably hold the magnet on the bolt. I might have to glue it later.
The magnet on the bolt is N38 neodymium 1 mm thick, 10 mm in diameter. Supposedly it pulls 0,5kg but I never checked. It triggers the sensor reliably.