How often are you restarting HA?

Running on non-PI hardware (a small embedded PC with an SSD) - I only restart when I make config changes, I have never had HA fail or stop responding that I can recall, it is rock solid.

1 Like

Too often, but i’m updating configuration all the time.

The homeassistant.reload_core_Config doesn’t work for me. If there is something particular i could be doing and somebody know please let me know!

@aimc

May I know which one are you using? I am also thinking of moving to something more solid than a RPi. I need something that I can rely on and have peace of mind when I leave my house.

never knew what that option was for (reload core config), I’ve always just used homeassistant.restart That’s finally working in a nice quick fashion for me now.

While I understand that you want to be able to have a dependable setup that you don’t assume will fail regularly you shouldn’t ever worry about your HA instance. IMO if you are depending on HA to do anything you need to reassess your setup. Maybe your lights won’t be on when your home or some other convenience maybe gone, but you shouldn’t be relying on HA (or any automation system) for the core functions of your house (heating/cooling would be a great example).

I have been running Raspberry Pis in a number of situations 24/7 for a few years now. They are reliable, issues usually arise from the software side.

I am using an ASRock Beebox - it has performed flawlessly and has a lot more oomph than the PI thanks in part to it’s SSD vs a memory card:

Ohh I have lots of crashes. I do have problems with the xiaomi compnents, but now you give me this doubt … could be the sd card … how to check?

would the PI work with an external SSD drive?

What OS did you install on it? Any issues with drivers? This looks like a good solution for me in the future but I always worry about drivers/HW support in Linux.

I went with Ubuntu 16 as it had support for the newer Skylake processors - no issues to speak of.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to look into this closer for future plans.

I agree that most of the time, the crashes cause on the software side. But I can’t help it to keep reminding myself I will outgrow RPi sooner or later as I keep on adding more sensors, components, automation and whatnot.

Nice one! I am thinking of getting something similar if I am really serious into home automation. I believe this is the most important computer in the house. After all, it takes care of the security of the house and control almost every network devices in the house.

I’m on Ubuntu 15.04 and no issues.

What box are you using?

Dell T20 server

1 Like

With recent version of linux (ubuntu) there’s usually no problem.
And for the other I can confirm that on a Raspberry some problem that looks like they’re software related, are actually caused by memory card or power issue.

I don’t think corrupt storage issues or power issues causing strange results are limited to a Raspberry. :slight_smile:

Yes, I said raspberry because other solution use flash/ssd memory and real stable power supply.
So any solution running on a sd card and powered by a 5V 3A (smartphone) charger is prone to have some problem ^^

Almost never have to restart. But I do restart a lot since I use the development version and I keep it up to date.

I run a Athlon 5350 + ASRock AM1B-ITX with external power brick. Low power usage, small(er) form factor, but faster than a PI and runs regular Ubuntu 16. The whole thing ran me $200.

I agree, that the raspberry platform has less protection built in around power and storage than full size servers. But having had both for many years, I know that the larger units also have their share of failed power supplies, and crashed hard drives. I’m just saying that the larger systems are not immune from the same symptoms and problems being associated with the Raspberry, but I agree it is more likely that they may occur in a raspberry type environment.

1 Like