How to access config.txt in Hassio?

You can install the HASS Configurator addon from the addon store. Then you’ll be able to edit configuration.yaml (and anything else you’d likely need to edit).

Hi! Thanks for your answer but it is not configuration.yaml I need to edit but config.txt which specifies settings for the raspberry pi hardware. But maybe HASS Configurator can help me anyway?

Ah crap, sorry. Maybe if I actually read I could help you correctly…

I’m surprised you don’t see the boot partition on your Mac. When you SSH’d into your pi, did you try this command?

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

That should load config.txt in the nano file editor.

There’s a third method. You add a file to a USB drive install it in your Pi and go to the hassio system page and press the import from USB button.

There’s a network example in step 4 of the getting started page you could adapt.

2 Likes

So I did try to SSH into the pi using port 22 and that did not help. (Could not find the file I was looking for.) But when I SSHed into the pi on port 22222 I got access to it and I could update config.txt. :slight_smile:
I guess that SSHing to 22 takes me into the container running Homeassistant but SSHing to 22222 takes me to the host RaspberryPi? Maybe? :slight_smile:

22 takes you to the add-on running an SSH container.

22222 takes you to the HOST OS

Could you tell me where you found the config.txt fie in the HOST OS? I’m logged in but cannot find the file.

I did find myself in the same situation and couldn’t find it, once you’re logged into 22222 you’ll be in the root directory, where you want to go is mnt/boot/

Hope this helps!

Maybe it’s a stupid question, but HOW to ssh into a different port other than 22?

https://linux.die.net/man/1/ssh

If you’re using putty on Windows, you literally put in the port number on the connect page.

Hello, i have a Mac and can’t login via Port 22222.

I tried
ssh -p 22222 root@HASSIO-IP

I only get a “Connection refused”. I tried it with Mac Terminal and Cyberduck.
I use the SSH Plugin without Password and with PublicKey. Connect with Port 22 is no Problem.

Has anyone an Idea?

1 Like

The SSH add-on doesn’t enable SSH on the HOST.

https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html

Thank you!

Hello good people,
so I just bought a Pi4 with a RaspBee shield with the intention of replacing my IKEA gateway with it. Slapped the 32bit Hassio-image on the Pi, fired it up an soon had my Google home devices as well as Wemo and Tradfri lights working. Now i wanna move the lights from the Gateway to DeConz and stumbled onto the same problem: For the RaspBee to be recognized i need to edit the config.txt, however i only have a Mac at hand wich cant read the FS (and since that is my work computer i cannot install a VM). I am fairly comfortable messing around with computers and copy-pasting commands into terminal but i am completely new to Pi, Hassio and have no idea about SSH, SSH Keys or the like. Now i looked at Debugging Hass.io but the whole thing seems way out of my league with the whole SSH Key stuff and the like. Could anyone give me any advice on how to proceed?

I know i might be in over my head with Hassio requiring quite some knowledge of these things, but I was hoping to do some “learning by doing” withing the relatively safe “container” of Hassio, but this SSH 22222 thing is kinda outside the container…

so just install an app that can read/write linux filesystems?

Thank you for the quick reply!
I looked around for that too but didnt find anything - do you happen to have a link to such an app?

I’ve seen a few mentioned from time to time, but Paragon is one app I think

Thanks a lot, your answer brought me onto the right path:

While Paragon supports the mounting of extFS (Linux) and is perfect for e.g. installing custom components in Hassio the Boot-Partition of the Hassio-Image is in FAT32. Now while Paragon is no use for that there is indeed a work-around to force OSX into mounting a FAT32 Partition!

EDIT: After altering the config.txt and manually loading HACS into Hassio with the aforementioned method i could no longer login to my HA and after reversing the config alteration the system would not even boot anymore. I then flashed the Phoscon SD-Card image and started the Pi using VNC. I started the Phoscon app and let it run idle for about an hour because i read that this will update the Raspbee-Firmware. Then reflashed the SD with Hassio, did the config.txt alterationons (without trying to install HACS) BEFORE firing it up for the first time and now it finally works! Dont forget to manually specify the serial-port on wich the Raspbee sits while installing the integration!

2 Likes

Access config.txt on the HassOS FAT boot partition (Pi3b or Pi3B+)

HassOS uses a completely different partition layout and format than the normal Raspberry Pi (Raspbian / Pi-OS) schema, with eight partitions rather than two.

The first of these partitions (sd[x]1) is the equivalent of the Raspbian/Pi-OS boot partition, normally readable on Windows, Mac & Linux machines. But, when a HassOS format SD card/USB adaptor is inserted, partition one does not auto mount and it is therefore not easy to find and/or edit the config.txt file.

It is possible to manually mount the HassOS boot partition on a linux machine (e.g. another Raspberry Pi and/or the same Raspberry Pi running standard Raspbian/Pi-OS from a separate SD card). The HassOS SD card can then be placed in a USB SD Card Adaptor, the adaptor inserted into the Raspberry Pi and the HassOS boot partition (and more importantly the config.txt file) accessed using the following commands.

df -h
lsblk

sudo mkdir /mnt/boot
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

ls -l /mint/boot
sudo nano /mint/boot/config.txt

sudo umount /dev/sda1
sudo rmdir /mnt/boot

NOTE: where /dev/sda1 is the HassOS device partition 

The HassOS boot partition has many fewer files on it than a Raspian/Pi-OS boot partition, as it loads a different operating system (a minimalist linux appliance OS based on buildroot https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/tree/master/board/raspberrypi with HassIO running in Docker on top). You will however find the familiar bootcode.bin,cmdline.txt, config.txt, fix up.dat and start.elf together with the usual overlays folder and a subset of the system files (bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb, bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb, bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb)

There are also some ‘new’ files (boot.scr & u-boot.bin), relating to the different operating system (HassOS) to be loaded and run.

This approach allowed me to add the following lines to the config.txt file on my old Raspberry Pi3b . . .

[all]
boot_delay=1
arm_freq=1400
core_freq=500
over_voltage=4
sdram_freq=500

. . . to Over Clock it, and get a significant improvement in horse power & responsiveness [of course, I had also added a substantial heat sink and active cooling with a 5v fan which keeps its CPU temperature down at around 40ºC].

4 Likes

Hi, when I ssh to my Pi on my Mac using:

ssh [email protected] -p 22222

I cannot log into a normal terminal. it has the

ha > 

symbol on. Does anyone know how to access it so I can do

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

?

Many Thanks,
Alex