How to add an external antenna to an ESP board

What was the RSSI before?

Don’t really know, because it was never any issue before. Only added the RSSI last night to see how bad it was. I suspect a recent Asus firmware update on the access point caused it.

I thought I’d share my experience following @tom_l’s excellent instructions in this thread.
I took dBm readings from 16 locations before and after splicing a WiFi antenna onto a Firebeetle ESP32-E using a U.FL to female RP-SMA cable, as instructed. Overall, it’s a mixed bag. The modification improved signal in some locations, but worsened it in others. I think that improvements were due solely to the new ability to position the antenna and that overall there was probably some additional loss of signal due to the extra centimeters of cable and perhaps the solder joints on the dev board. I guess this makes sense, as as antenna can’t increase power, but just help direct it a little.

Unfortunately for me, the location I need to install my project in was not one of those that had a net benefit from being able to position the antenna.
antenna results

I am curious to know if this is consistent with other people’s experience.

1 Like

Whilst directivity is the main way an antenna achieves a gain, there is also radiation efficiency to consider. Don’t buy cheap 2.4GHz antennas. They are nothing more than a 1/4 wavelength of wire in a plastic housing.

1 Like

Me too please.
And Thank You.
Old laptop antenna btw. Wifi or BT. Not sure.PXL_20230808_153848781|375x500