How to add an Insteon device?

Maybe this “device override” option? The documentation mentions that Home Assistant does its best guess to figure out device type, but that configuration may need to be override. This link will take you right to the override section.

You can also try unlinking then relinking the device.

It’s possible some higher functions of insteon devices might not translate over though and you would need an alternate contact sensor (ie zigbee or zwave)

When I configured the I/O Linc, HA figured out that there was a relay and a sensor and created icons for those. The problem is just that it isn’t changing state on the display. I read about someone else having this same problem back in 2018 and someone responded in the forum that the behavior on the state was fixed. Maybe a change to the code was lost since then?

The problem in 2018 appeared to be a reversed/inverted status on the sensor:

Which was fixed

Your issue appears unrelated. Any errors showing in your logs related to this device/sensor?

I’ll have to find out how to get/look at the logs. Also is there a file editor that works in the Synology docker HA? Not critical, but was curious. I see that others have done something with that, but I don’t know how they did it.

… time passes …

Logbook doesn’t seem to show ANYTHING about having opened and closed the door (or sensor state changing) which I do it from the “Overview” interface.

… time passes …

Oh, I see it in the object “logbook” when clicking on it from the “Overview”. And as I would suspect, it shows an event for the switch when opening or closing the door, but nothing for the sensor.

Sorry I’m at a loss - Hopefully someone with more experience with the Insteon integration and/or Synology can chime in

Ok, thanks. I see there is a Synology Text Editor package. Will take a look at that for editing. I’m brand new to Home Assistant and relatively new to Synology. Really like Synology. Works really well and simply for me. And now getting to use Home Assistant from it is a real plus (I think so far).

I can’t get the Inston Integration to work either. HA running on Raspberry Pi. I see the Hub is online on my Eero network and have the IP. When I ping the IP for the Hub it responds. But adding the Insteon integration fails (I entered the correct IP, channel, username and password).

Hub has red light and is still controlling devices – i just can’t get to it.

ANy suggestions? The dreaded factory reset?? I’m out of options.

I presume you used the username and password that was printed on the hub? Perhaps the port is not the default 25105? Maybe try clicking on the Insteon configuration Configure and change the Hub. Then make sure that the dialog that pops up has all the correct entries with no typos. Check the spelling of user and password?

For my text editor, I ended up download Visual Studio Code and adding the Home Assistant extension. Now I can get autocompletion for attributes etc.

I did indeed mistype the factory password. A lowercase j looks an awful lot like an uppercase J in that tiny print!

This explanation sounds great until the second from last sentence: How do you remove all previous insteon schedules (before the CRASH), if you can’t get INTO the hub using Home Assistant? Do you do a RESET on the hub and hope Home Assistant takes over?

Everything I have read says not to factory reset, although it does not appear as dire as originally thought and many who factory reset were able to recover. Documentation was updated:

Short of a factory reset, if you “unlink” the device that was in an insteon schedule, using the insteon.delete_all_link service, it should remove that device from the schedule.

insteon.delete_all_link: Tells the Insteon Modem (IM) to remove an All-Link record from the All-Link Database of the IM and a device. Once the IM is set to delete the link, press the SET button on the corresponding device to complete the process.

Then add the device back using the insteon.add_all_link service:

insteon.add_all_link: Puts the Insteon Modem (IM) into All-Linking mode. The IM can be set as a controller or a responder. If the IM is a controller, put the IM into linking mode then press the SET button on the device. If the IM is a responder, press the SET button on the device then put the IM into linking mode.

The device should then stop responding to any pre-programmed insteon schedule and you can setup a Home Assistant automation to replace it, and easily make changes down the road.

GREAT! Glad that worked for you, kmorrisnc.

Just relinking a device gets rid all scenes with that device? and Schedules?

I don’t have an insteon device to confirm myself but the option of unlinking and relinking to stop an insteon schedule was discussed on this reddit thread

Thanks, I’ll go read and see if I understant it :slight_smile:

Sure, the only difference is you can use the call service options in Home Assistant to unlink/link versus needing the insteon terminal they discussed over there.

OK, I’m on the struggle bus. I have an integration setup and working. My issue is I have 1 device that I purchased a while back and never added to my hub. It’s a door open\closed sensor. I’ve tried the developer tools Insteon.add all link and hear my hub beep 1x when you call the service. It never seems to pick up the device when I put it in pairing mode though. Any ideas?

I don’t remember what I did for the I/O Linc, but I may have added it using the “device override” method.

Go to Configuration. Then click on the “Configure” on the Insteon integration card. Then click on the check box next to “Add a device override”. Then click Submit.

Then in the next dialog, you have to give the insteon device address on the device. I think it wants the Insteon address with no dots.

And then the device category and subcategory.

For the I/O linc model 2450 I have, the Category is 0x07 and Subcategory is 0x00.

I have a list of these categories and subcategories from a developers guide I got a long time ago when I considered writing my own Insteon App.

Here are thing things I specifically have:

Hub             2245-555    (0x03,0x33)
I/O Linc        2450        (0x07,0x00)
OutletLinc      2472DWH     (0x01,0x21)
SwitchLinc      2477D       (0x01,0x20)
Plugin?         2635-222    (0x02,0x37)
On/Off Outlet   2663-222    (0x02,0x39)
Motion Sensor   2842-222    (0x10,0x01)

If successful, there will be 2 entities, one for relay and one for sensor.

… time passes …

I initially setup HA in a Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows 11. I think it autodiscovered a lot of stuff, but missed a few. Maybe I did something before it was ready and stopped in the middle of autodiscovery. Then I did away with that and setup HA on a Synology NAS Docker container (I like this a LOT better). However, this discovered fewer of the devices. Again I was probably even more anxious to get started and may have interrupted it prematurely. So I had to enter a lot of the devices manually. I didn’t know how one might trigger the autodiscovery process again, but I was happy enough to enter the 38 devices manually. All my devices are working fine now.

I also have 2 combined units ( sensor/ relay) from Insteon that suddenly don’t communicate the state change through HASS. They worked fine before but then stopped working a couple months ago. Tried everything and nothing worked to show their state. On the unit themselves they do show a change so I think maybe one of the updates for HASS might have changed something.