How to automate based on weather temperature forcast for current day?

Hi, many thanks for the code. It´s generally working. Now I have two requests.

1. How can I round the decimal of the temp, i.e. 26.45 to 26.5
  2. I tried to modify the api code for using the !secrets=myapikey or !secrets:myapikey implementation without success. How is this possible, is there a solution available?
https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?units=metric&exclude=minutely,hourly&lat=<lat>&lon=<lon>&appid=!secrets=myapikey

I did not move the apikey/appid to secrets. Because, if anybody would get knowledge of it, I don’t care. It’s a free service with no personal information.

If you want it in secrets, you have to move the full url to secrets, and then use resource: !secret openweatherurl

Like this solution. Basic question, the I assume need to be replaced by actual values or are these subsituted by HA? If so: where does the apikey come from?

This works great! Thanks.

Please forgive my question I am a HA beginner, but how do I integrate your template?
First part in the configuration.yaml and the second as manual automation? :face_with_thermometer:

Hi

IMHO you don’t need the template anymore since the OWM integration uses OWM one call API to provide forecast information directly:

https://openweathermap.org/api/one-call-api

Therefore, you can just write something like this in your automations:

conditions:
  - condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.openweathermap_forecast_temperature
    above: 20.0

The only thing that may be missing is a cloud coverage forecast. But there is a current cloud coverage sensor (sensor.openweathermap_cloud_coverage).

HTH

Thorsten

1 Like

If it helps, here’s how I did it:
First, I have a sensor collecting forecasted temperature 1 day from now:

# Buienradar weather data
# https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/sensor.buienradar/
- platform: buienradar
  monitored_conditions:
    - temperature_1d

From what I saw, this sensor switches max forecasted temperature around 2am at night.
So I implemented a SQL sensor that queries the max forecasted temperature between current time yesterday and last midnight
(I record my data in a local MariaDB)

# Determine max forecasted temperature for 'today'
- platform: sql
  db_url: !secret mariadb_url
  queries:
    - name: max_temp_fcst_today
      query: >
        SELECT date(date_add(last_updated, INTERVAL 1 DAY)) AS date, MAX(state) AS max_temp
        FROM home_assistant.states
        WHERE entity_id = 'sensor.br_temperature_1d'
        AND last_updated BETWEEN DATE_ADD(NOW(), INTERVAL -1 DAY) AND CURDATE();
      column: max_temp
      unit_of_measurement: °C

In other words: I went back into my history to retrieve the forecasted temperature, rather than trying to collect a forecasted temperature for today when I need it.

Another approach if you’re not comfortable with writing SQL statements would be to use an automation that writes the state or attribute of a (sensor) entity into an input_number entity at a given point of time. You can then use this over a certain interval while the source changes.

I have a similar problem as others. I would like to use our local weather forecast from switzerland (HACS, Meteoswiss integration).
Using the template editor in development tools with the template {{ states.weather.basel_binningen }}, I get the following response:

<template TemplateState(<state weather.basel_binningen=lightning; temperature=27.3, humidity=51, pressure=973.0, wind_bearing=E, wind_speed=9.7, attribution=Weather forecast from MeteoSwiss (https://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/), forecast=[{'datetime': '2021-06-21', 'templow': 17.0, 'temperature': 26.0, 'condition': 'lightning-rainy'}, {'datetime': '2021-06-22', 'templow': 16.0, 'temperature': 23.0, 'condition': 'lightning'}, {'datetime': '2021-06-23', 'templow': 15.0, 'temperature': 24.0, 'condition': 'lightning-rainy'}, {'datetime': '2021-06-24', 'templow': 15.0, 'temperature': 22.0, 'condition': 'cloudy'}, {'datetime': '2021-06-25', 'templow': 14.0, 'temperature': 22.0, 'condition': 'rainy'}], friendly_name=Basel / Binningen @ 2021-06-20T13:07:57.922758+02:00>)>

My question as a template newbie: How do I get the forecast temperature of the next day out of this with a template? I assume this must be the the temperature in forecast[0], but this is how far I get

Hi,
I’ve managed to use the weather.xxx_hourly entity to get the forecast for the current day.
Fist you need to head over to Integrations, select Home. There will be a disabled entity for an hourly forecast, enable it.
You can then use the same array notation, but it will give you the forecast for the hour you indicate rather than the day…
{{ state_attr('weather.xxx_hourly', 'forecast')[4].temperature }}

3 Likes

HEllo,

could somebody help me to extrct the data from my local weather?

http://daten.buergernetz.bz.it/services/weather/district/6/bulletin?format=json&lang=de

And this was the parameter to extract for the precipitation of the day: $.forecasts[0].rainTo

How can i implente the value from raintto in a condition for a automation?

Thanks a lot

Philipp

1 Like

This is a late reply, but might help somebody.
I’d suggest to use NodeRed which can manipulate data and create a node sensor that will provide you with the desired data.

A working example for those still struggling.

Step 1) Extract the desired attributes and create a separate entity for them.
Configuration.yaml:

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: Forecasted Precipitation
        unit_of_measurement: "mm"
        state: "{{ state_attr('weather.forecast_hourly', 'forecast')[0].precipitation }}"
      - name: Forecasted Temperature Tomorrow
        unit_of_measurement: "°C"
        state: "{{ state_attr('weather.forecast', 'forecast')[1].temperature }}"
      - name: Forecasted Temperature Day after Tomorrow
        unit_of_measurement: "°C"
        state: "{{ state_attr('weather.forecast', 'forecast')[2].temperature }}"

Step 2) Create an automation

alias: Sunscreen out to prevent heating the house on warm days
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sun.sun
    attribute: azimuth
    above: 119
    alias: Before the sun hits the house on the South side.
condition:
  - condition: or
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sensor.season
        state: spring
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sensor.season
        state: summer
    alias: During spring and summer;
  - condition: and
    conditions:
        entity_id: sensor.forecasted_temperature_day_after_tomorrow
        above: 21
        entity_id: sensor.forecasted_temperature_tomorrow
        above: 21
    alias: When the next two days are forecasted to be warmer than inside;
    entity_id: sensor.forecasted_precipitation
    below: 0.1
    alias: When no rain is to be expected in the next hour;
    entity_id: weather.forecast_hourly
    attribute: wind_speed
    enabled: true
    below: 5.1
    alias: With not to much wind expected in the next hour (meters per second);
  - condition: device
# Device_id is generated for you if you use build the automation using the UI.
    device_id: 6afa398809a08778afda1b614e
    domain: cover
    entity_id: cover.sunscreen
    type: is_position
    below: 40
    alias: When the sunscreen is not opened already;
    entity_id: zone.home
    above: 0
    alias: When somebody is home.
action:
  - device_id: 6afa398809a08778afda1b614e
    domain: cover
    entity_id: cover.sunscreen
    type: set_position
    position: 41
    alias: Open sunscreen a bit to prevent warming the house!
mode: single

HINT: Use something you use to perform easy tests as an additional trigger such as a button/switch during testing.

3 Likes

I created a automation and lovelace card for controling my awning/sunscreen,
Hope to help and inspire others: GitHub - remb0/Sunscreen: Sunscreen-Awning project
It’s work in progress and I have a wishlist with things like: actionable notifications, blueprint, shutter integration and other improvements.