How to bind Zigbee devices

Hi,
I successfully attached two zigbee devices. But since my server (HA) is not going to run permanently in the near future, I would like to try the BIND feature.

Did I understand correctly, that devices should control each other directly when bound?

I tried binding through HA (device / manage device / bind) but this did not work. As soon as I disabled the automation triggers, nothing happened any more.

Is there anything else I have to do in HA?
(I do not need any groups)

Do I have to go through the proprietary BIND process of the devices itself?
(proprietary docs are not that clear on how to do that)

I’ve got a Sonoff ZB Mini and an Ikea Tradfri on/off button.

Thank you very much

JPT

Depending on the firmware, this one can bind only to a group (old firmware), or to a device. I don’t know if the Sonoff ZB Mini supports binding.

With the old firmware, I had a group with 1 bulb in.

No idea what the HA bind does.
I simply initiated a pairing using the hardware devices and it worked.
I believe the server Conbee is only “another lightbulb” to the tradfri.
So it does not care if it sends it’s command to the conbee or to the sonoff relais.
Works like a charm without any server or gateway.

btw, no idea how to create a zigbee group in HA.

Hi - I have an IKEA Tradfri open/close button and an Fyrtur blind. I was able to pair them both with HA, and then bind them together into a Zigbee group. After that, the button controlled the blind directly, even without HA. My Zigbee controller device is a SkyConnect, and I am using ZHA.

These are my notes on how I did it - it might help you?!

Adding IKEA Tradfri Blinds (e.g. Fyrtur) to HA

• Background:

• Tradfri blinds use Zigbee (as of 2021). The Zigbee integration in HA is often called ZHA.

• I’m using the SkyConnect USB dongle to provide Zigbee radio. In Zigbee language ZHA is the “Zigbee Coordinator” or ZC.

• The blinds have a rechargeable battery, and come with a remote control button, and a “signal repeater” that plugs into the wall (it’s also a USB charger). We won’t be using the signal repeater here.

• We want the remote control button to “talk” directly to the blinds so the button works even if HA is down. As such we need to “bind” the button and blinds to the same Zigbee group. (Of course, we also want to be able to control the blinds from HA too).

• In Zigbee language, the blinds and remote control are “Zigbee End Points” or ZEDs.

• Reset the Remote Control Button and Pair with HA

• In HA find the Zigbee controller device and click “Add Devices Via This Device”

• To reset the remote control: Remove the cover from the back and press the little button 4 times. See video. A red light should pulse 4 times on the back.

• To pair:

• I’ve seen different behaviours here. Sometimes, after resetting, the light will continue to pulse and will pair with HA.

• At other times, I’ve had to press and hold the little rear button (up to 10 seconds) before it pairs with HA.

• (Try both and/or repeat the process until it is detected with HA and the “interview” begins.)

• HA should find the button and show a dialog with “This device is ready to use”. Rename the button.

• Test: Go to the device page of the button. When you press the button you should see entries appear in the Logbook.

• Reset the Blind and pair with HA

• In HA find the Zigbee controller device and click “Add Devices Via This Device”

• To reset the blinds, press and hold the two buttons for 5 seconds. The white light on the blinds should flash a few times.

• To pair blinds to HA

• If, after resetting, the light goes out on the blinds , press (don’t hold) the two buttons together. The white light should turn on solid.

• Alternatively the blind may go into pairing mode after resetting (if so the light will stay on). I’ve seen both behaviours.

• You may need to repeat this until HA detects the blinds and shows a dialog with “This device is ready to use”. Rename the blinds.

• The blinds do a little jog movement (backwards and forwards) to show the pairing worked.

• Test: Go to the device page of the blinds and control it from HA using the up and down controls.

• Set length: Move the blind to the desired length and then double click either the up or down button on the blinds (not the remote). The blinds will jog up & down to show the length is locked in.

• Note: The remote control button will not yet work with the Blind (that’s the next step!)

• To Bind the Blind and Remote Control Button together into a Zigbee Group

• In HA: Visit the ZHA Integration Page (not the Device page!)

• Click “CONFIGURE” in the “Integration entries”, then the “Groups” tab

• Click “+ CREATE GROUP” button, call it “Office Blind Group”, add in the Blind. (Only the Blind was available, not the button)

• Navigate to the remote control button device page

• Under “Device info” click the kebab menu (3 dots) → “Manage zigbee device” → Binding

• In Bindings tab, choose “Office Blinds” from Bindings group. Click “BIND”. Done!

• Testing

• Go to the Office Blinds device page, and use controls to test raising and lowering the blind from HA

• Now try pressing the remote control button to wake it, it may take a few seconds to sync and bind but you should be able to now control the blind with the button