How to build ESP light sensor

You need to tell us what the error was. All the HA mind readers were killed in the great pogrom of 2020.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the error logā€¦itā€™s just the install part so I was not sure itā€™s relevant.

ā€œInstall esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc.yamlā€ <= this was the title following is the outputted log (Error at end of log)

INFO ESPHome 2023.12.9
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc (board: esp32dev; framework: espidf; platform: platformio/[email protected])
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
 - framework-espidf @ 3.40405.230623 (4.4.5) 
 - tool-cmake @ 3.16.9 
 - tool-ninja @ 1.10.2 
 - toolchain-esp32ulp @ 2.35.0-20220830 
 - toolchain-xtensa-esp32 @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5
Reading CMake configuration...
Dependency Graph
|-- noise-c @ 0.1.4
|-- Improv @ 1.2.3
Linking .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/firmware.elf
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.o:(.literal._ZN7esphome3api13APIConnection17send_sensor_stateEPNS_6sensor6SensorEf+0x8): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::has_state() const'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.o:(.literal._ZN7esphome3api13APIConnection16send_sensor_infoEPNS_6sensor6SensorE+0x8): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::get_accuracy_decimals()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.o:(.literal._ZN7esphome3api13APIConnection16send_sensor_infoEPNS_6sensor6SensorE+0xc): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::get_state_class()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.o: in function `esphome::api::APIConnection::send_sensor_state(esphome::sensor::Sensor*, float)':
/data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp:463: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::has_state() const'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.o: in function `esphome::api::APIConnection::send_sensor_info(esphome::sensor::Sensor*)':
/data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp:476: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::get_accuracy_decimals()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: /data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp:478: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::get_state_class()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x54): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::i2c::IDFI2CBus'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x58): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::i2c::IDFI2CBus'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0xd8): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::bh1750::BH1750Sensor'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0xdc): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::bh1750::BH1750Sensor'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x138): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::Sensor()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x13c): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::set_state_class(esphome::sensor::StateClass)'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x144): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::set_accuracy_decimals(signed char)'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o: in function `std::_Vector_base<std::function<void ()>, std::allocator<std::function<void ()> > >::_Vector_impl::_Vector_impl()':
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/xtensa-esp32-elf/include/c++/8.4.0/bits/stl_vector.h:96: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::Sensor()'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.o: in function `setup()':
/data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.cpp:242: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::set_state_class(esphome::sensor::StateClass)'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: /data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/main.cpp:244: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::set_accuracy_decimals(signed char)'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/core/controller.o:(.literal._ZN7esphome10Controller16setup_controllerEb+0x8): undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::add_on_state_callback(std::function<void (float)>&&)'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/core/controller.o: in function `esphome::Controller::setup_controller(bool)':
/data/build/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/src/esphome/core/controller.cpp:29: undefined reference to `esphome::sensor::Sensor::add_on_state_callback(std::function<void (float)>&&)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pioenvs/esp32-bluetooth-proxy-9670cc/firmware.elf] Error 1
========================= [FAILED] Took 165.67 seconds =========================

It did not work.

Thatā€™s your bluetooth proxy. I donā€™t know anything about that.

I think I will just order a dedicated ESP32 for this project then to keep this as simple as possibleā€¦Tom do you have any that your recommend for a beginner like me? Reliability would be most important I donā€™t mind spending a few extra bucks for higher quality.

There are many recommendations in this topic:

Hi Tom<

I managed not to get it all installed and the entity is showing up in home assistant. However, I am not getting it to return any values and I think I have the wires wrong. The chip looks very similar to the one you are using but has slightly different pinout markings.

Itā€™s the SCL and DAT I am most concerned with although there are also 2 GNDs and I am not sure they are interchangable. Hereā€™s a picture of the chip I am using

Yes they are.

DAT (SDA) goes to D21
SCL goes to D22

1 Like

Thank you very much Tom! Thatā€™s actually how I had it, just required a reboot and ESP update then itā€™s now working! I wanted to say that you so much for your patience on this one and hopefully my mistakes will help others to learn too this is a great learning project and will be a spring board for me as I learn to apply ESPHOME to other sensors!

2 Likes

Hello, can they help me too?
I have the same sensor, and my ESP is WROOM-32D.

Iā€™m using arduino IDE to code my esp, but I canā€™t get the BH1750 sense to work, it doesnā€™t pick up the data correctly to display on the serial monitor, and when I use the sensor library it doesnā€™t work either, even though Iā€™ve followed the esp. assembly correctly.

Can they help-me with the code?