How to choose a NUC?

My 8th Gen i3 has a fan, but I’ve never heard it. They’ve put in a larger fan apparently, so it’s quieter as it does not have to spin as fast. I had to look at a review to confirm it has a fan.

1 Like

I’m using a 5th gen NUC with a Core i3. Added a spare 4GB RAM stick, and a spare 128GB m.2 SSD. It’s fanless and running like a champ. Plenty of headroom for anything I’ve thrown at it.

1 Like

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the answers, there is some great advice and information here.
But, I’m getting greedy…

I have a follow up question How to choose an operating environment for a NUC?

:slight_smile:

I personally have lubuntu (linux) on my nuc and hassio etc running via dockers.
I chose lubuntu as it is a lighter version of the full blown ubuntu.

I have a NUC7CJYH - the most powerful celeron based one… much cheaper than i3 or i5 etc with a 240gb SSD and 8gb RAM.

I was not/am not planning on running cameras so an i3 seemed like overkill and was out of my price range.
It really depends on what you want to run. I run hass.io with a bunch of addons… I think I have around 26 docker images/containers. Not all are Home Assistant related. It doesn’t even break a sweat.

2 Likes

I just setup one of these with 8G Memory and a 120G SSD for about $230 US. You don’t need a lot to run what we do and I am running more on it now. Using Ubuntu 18.04 Workstation with Docker. I am very happy with it, did a write up on it here.

Has any one tried the cheapish NUC style computers from AliExpress like this one. They seem very well priced especially if you go for a bare bones system.

Also for HA are there any major benefits for going for a latest generation CPU over an older one? Ie. 7th Vs 4th gen i3, i5, i7?

I have a device like that for my pfSense Router / Firewall.

Not had any reliability issues at all, it has been on 24/7 for just over 27 days now as that was when I last updated pfSense version.

You normally find it cheaper to buy just the device it’s self and source the RAM and SSD Locally.

One thing to remember with nucs is that the ram is double channel. Two 4 gb ddram is much faster than one 8gb.

1 Like

TIL. Where did you find that info?

If you mean about the double channel memory make a search on google. Its valid for most systems. No rocket science. Simple google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=double+channel+memory&oq=double+channel+memory&aqs=chrome..69i57.11140j0j7&client=tablet-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

From wiki

Dual-channel architecture requires a dual-channel-capable motherboard and two or more DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, or DDR5 memory modules. The memory modules are installed into matching banks, which are usually color-coded on the motherboard. These separate channels allow the memory controller access to each memory module. Identical memory modules are not required, but are often recommended for best dual-channel operation.

It’s much faster when you compare the two options with benchmarks but makes barely any difference in real life with the kind of apps you’ll use for home automation.

So better to buy the swingle chip and upgrade later than by two lower capacity at the start.

1 Like

I see a LOT difference because I also run the camera server with nine cameras on the same NUC

Really? Disk IO would be far more important than RAM performance in that scenario.

However, I bow to your experience.

1 Like

I have a NVME disc so it is quite ok. But all builds with built in graphic is helped with dual memory

always helps to know what to google :wink:

1 Like

I went with:

So far very happy with it, primarily using it for Drone CI, Node-RED and running some experiments. Very silent device. I was quite surprised that it has a wifi, makes things a lot easier :slight_smile: And yeah, totally worth getting this little PC, although I am still running my RPI in parallel.

When you say the Z-wave is slow, do you mean waiting for it to load up? Or for the network function itself? I am curious to see if upgrading from a Pi to a NUC will improve my motion detection reporting times. Thanks!

I didn’t say it was slow, I said it was the slowest part. Its just because the Z wave stick has to try to talk to all the devices, determine hops, etc. I have 40ish Z wave devices so this is a factor too. The NUC really isnt much of a factor here at all.

Just for reference, a restart of Home Assistant takes about 30 seconds until the front end is ready again. Its another few minutes for Z wave to be ready (I have a notification for it), but everything else is very usable in that period of time.