How to compare two Device Values against each other

Hi there. Brand new to HA and this forum so please forgive if the is posted in the wrong place.
I am using the Enphase envoy integration but it does not let me access the net input/output to the grid only sensor.envoy_xxxx_current_power_production or envoy_xxxx_current_power_consumption.
As the trigger i want is net input output to the grid which is equivalent to the difference between the two, can anyone tell me how I say if (power production > power consumption) or alternatively if (production-consumption > 0) as I can only seem to set up triggers to compare a device entity with a fixed value, not with another device entity. Sorry if this is basic but like I say: newbeeee.
Many thanks in advance!

use the 3 dots in the upper right to enter yaml mode, and replace the fixed value by a template :wink:

You also test templates with the developer tools /template’s f.e.:

{% set my_test_json = {
  "t1": 25.123,
  "t2": 24.1}
%}
{{ my_test_json.t1 > my_test_json.t2 }}

= true

(just used some variables, but you can just use your sensors)

Thanks so much for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.
Trouble is as I don’t know this programming language at all, I have no idea how to integrate what you’re telling me into my own trigger… As, 30 years ago, I was a C programmer, this is making me feel pretty dumb. Could you please spell it out for me?
Here’s my existing trigger, and what I need to do is replace the 999 with sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_consumption

alias: Export stopper
description: ""
trigger:
  - type: power
    platform: device
    device_id: 4620b49cdac7774c1ea06bexxxxxxxx
    entity_id: sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_production
    domain: sensor
    above: 999
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 15
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: d063248882340d94033xxxxxxxxx
    entity_id: switch.chauffe_eau_cuisine_socket_1
    domain: switch
mode: single

You need to use a template trigger
Should be something like this:

automation:
  trigger:
    - platform: template
      value_template: "{{ states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_production') > states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_consumption')}}"
      for:

And Yaml is NOT a programming language; it is a way to write a configuration (like json)…

Wow thanks. I feel like I’m trying to learn Korean in an afternoon.
I tried this but got this not-ver-explanatory error message…

“Message malformed: extra keys not allowed @ data['automation”

alias: Eau chaud when export
Description: ""
automation:
  trigger:
      value_template: "{{ states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxx_current_power_production') > states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxx_current_power_consumption')}}"
      for:

condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: d063248882340d94033176xxcccc
    domain: switch
mode: single

Please format code properly for the forum like you did the first time: surround it with three backticks or use the </> button.

Remove the automation: line, and change the value_template to compare numbers not strings (with float filter):

alias: Export stopper
trigger:
    value_template: "{{ states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_production')|float(0) > states('sensor.envoy_122043xxxxxx_current_power_consumption')|float(0) }}"
    for: "00:00:15"
action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
1 Like

Thankyou! I did try, but something mucked up because I was doing it on an ipad I think.
And thanks for your suggestion which was accepted by the editor. Now have to test to see if it works!
Will let you know.